LAANC - No Control Tower

Reaction score
Hello everyone - I have a question regarding recreational flight. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this. Do I need LAANC authorization to fly near ALL airports ? Regardless of airspace classification ?
The wording in some guidelines sound as if I can NOT fly within the 5 mile radius of ANY airport without proper authorization.
The issue I am running into is that I live near a small public airport that does not have a control tower. The B4UFLY , Kittyhawk, and DJI app show it grayed out with no restrictions. Am I still required to request authorization ? Or is the"Good To Go" on the apps ...... good to go ? I live in Illinois.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: SPIRIT UAS
The permissions needed to fly near airports are predicated on what airspace classification it is. There is no longer a 5 mile rule. You need to check airspace using the FAA's ArcGIS site if you have time before you leave the house. You can check it on your phone, but it's a memory hog.

You can also use a LAANC app like Kittyhawk or UASidekick. Some use Airmap, but most people don't like them due to their work on restricting airspace behind our backs.

ArcGIS: ArcGIS Web Application
Kittyhwak: Kittyhawk - Drone Fleet Management Software
UASidekick: UASidekick – The Ultimate UAS Pilot Assistant

I also like Skyward, but like ArcGIS, isn't an app for free accounts.
www.skyward.io

Anything you see that say you cannot fly within 5 miles of an airport in the U.S. is wrong. That has never been the rule in the U.S., but it's been repeated so many time in the press, that people still believe it.

Hello everyone - I have a question regarding recreational flight. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this. Do I need LAANC authorization to fly near ALL airports ? Regardless of airspace classification ?
The wording in some guidelines sound as if I can NOT fly within the 5 mile radius of ANY airport without proper authorization.
The issue I am running into is that I live near a small public airport that does not have a control tower. The B4UFLY , Kittyhawk, and DJI app show it grayed out with no restrictions. Am I still required to request authorization ? Or is the"Good To Go" on the apps ...... good to go ? I live in Illinois.

Thanks for your help!
You need FAA approval (LAANC where available) when you want to fly within Controlled Airspace (Class A thru E). Class G is uncontrolled and does not require airspace authorization. VFR flight and due dilligence required, always. NOTAM also recommended when flying near airports - 1-800-wx-brief (1-800-992-7433).

Fly safe!

Last edited:
The permissions needed to fly near airports are predicated on what airspace classification it is. There is no longer a 5 mile rule. You need to check airspace using the FAA's ArcGIS site if you have time before you leave the house. You can check it on your phone, but it's a memory hog.

You can also use a LAANC app like Kittyhawk or UASidekick. Some use Airmap, but most people don't like them due to their work on restricting airspace behind our backs.

ArcGIS: ArcGIS Web Application
Kittyhwak: Kittyhawk - Drone Fleet Management Software
UASidekick: UASidekick – The Ultimate UAS Pilot Assistant

I also like Skyward, but like ArcGIS, isn't an app for free accounts.
www.skyward.io

Anything you see that say you cannot fly within 5 miles of an airport in the U.S. is wrong. That has never been the rule in the U.S., but it's been repeated so many time in the press, that people still believe it.

Thanks - I looked on the web links you provided and they all pretty consistent to the apps. This clarifies the point about flying in uncontrolled airspace.
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated !

Reactions: TontoFAC
You need FAA approval (LAANC where available) when you want to fly within Controlled Airspace (Class A thru E). Class G is uncontrolled and does not require airspace authorization. VFR flight and due dilligence required, always. NOTAM recommended when flying near airports - 1-800-wx-brief (1-800-992-7433).

Fly safe!

Thanks for the help. This means that I am indeed "Good to Go" in class G airspace provided there are no TFRs in place and using caution. I am still in the process of learning and leaning to taking a part 107 course. I wasn't aware of the NOTAM option but will certainly look into this as well.

Thanks again!

Reactions: SPIRIT UAS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20