Hobbyist calling airports

I fly recreationally as a hobbyist (not Part 107) , and am 4.48 miles from a commercial airport. I called them once to notify them I would be flying. They said in the future to just send them an eMail that includes the text, below. It also would include my name and cell number. I keep the text readily available on my computer to copy, paste into the eMail, and fill in the variable information. Maybe the airport is just unusually accommodating? It certainly saves them the time that otherwise would be spent answering the phone and taking down the information. Saves me time too!

Date:

Time:

Duration:

I am familiar with, and agree to bide by, PL 112-95 Sec. 336.

NAME
Cell Number

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.

(a) In General.--Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if--

(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

(b) Statutory Construction.--Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

(c) Model Aircraft Defined.--In this section, the term ``model aircraft'' means an unmanned aircraft that is--

(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and (3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

I would highly recommend installing a LAANC app on your phone. Most major airports are now participating in this automated authorization program for both recreational and 107 Pilots. One of the best features is it will give you the altitude restrictions for a given area near airports and any other restrictions. there are a few apps available I happened to use Air Map. Here is a list of participating airports LAANC airports

I have watched you tube videos on how to read them. I have learned a little bit. I will check the FAA website. Thanks

I think there are on two airports that participate in the LAANC program. They are nowhere close to me. I think I am going to the airprot and show them the post above by fbrickphoto and see if they will let me do that. I have one municipal airport and two helipads within the 5 miles.

Most class D airports are not participating in the LAANC program yet so you would have to call them. Just make sure about the altitude restrictions in the area you plan on flying.
You can use AirMap, Kittyhawk, or this link ArcGIS Web Application

The two airports near me do not have manned control towers so no point in leaving a message on their answering machine. Around a controlled airspace it seems wisest to stay below 500 feet regardless of ones certification or any permission one has received.

I have an issue where I live by a marine santuary where aircraft are legally required to stay above 1000 feet AGL at a minimum and for Wilderness Areas and National Parks the FAA requests that aircraft fly at least 2000 ft AGL, though this is commonly ignored by pilots flying small planes. It is going to take time to get this all sorted out. At least we don't have to have tail numbers on our drones at this time.

Absent needing it for commercial reasons I think 107 is going to be more or less a benefit depending on where you are located. If you're in the wide open spaces where there may be some regional airports dotting the area but a lot of class G airspace that is available to fly in without authorization you might bypass getting 107. I'm in the middle of two fairly active regional airports with a small slice of area where I can fly without getting authorization. If I want to venture out having 107 and getting authorization via LAANC is relatively easy and as someone else mentioned you don't end up having to make multiple attempts to contact someone by phone explaining where and when you're flying to get verbal authorization.

The two airports near me do not have manned control towers so no point in leaving a message on their answering machine. Around a controlled airspace it seems wisest to stay below 500 feet regardless of ones certification or any permission one has received.

I have an issue where I live by a marine santuary where aircraft are legally required to stay above 1000 feet AGL at a minimum and for Wilderness Areas and National Parks the FAA requests that aircraft fly at least 2000 ft AGL, though this is commonly ignored by pilots flying small planes. It is going to take time to get this all sorted out. At least we don't have to have tail numbers on our drones at this time.

Did you mean stay below 400 feet?

Will a small municipal airport sell the charts?

I'm interested in the current answer to this question. Many years ago when I was flying airplanes on a regular basis every municipal airport sold paper sectional charts. I'm wondering if in this age of everything electronic if that is still the case.

I'm interested in the current answer to this question. Many years ago when I was flying airplanes on a regular basis every municipal airport sold paper sectional charts. I'm wondering if in this age of everything electronic if that is still the case.

You are required to have current VFR or IFR charts with you when you fly. A prudent pilot will always carry a set of current paper charts just in case his/hers electronics run out of battery or fail him/her.

You are required to have current VFR or IFR charts with you when you fly. A prudent pilot will always carry a set of current paper charts just in case his/hers electronics run out of battery or fail him/her.

iOS-based EFBs were approved to replace paper charts a couple of years ago - many cockpits are completely paperless.

It's pretty simple... either you call (as mandated by law) or you are in violation. Don't be "that guy" even though it might seem like an inconvenience to you and your hobby flying.

It's possible they can give you some type of "open agreement" to fly without calling but if they do you'd better get it in writing.

I fly part 107 not hobby anymore but I noticed that Airmap has removed the nearby heliport contact information for both 107 and hobby operators. I contacted them and asked why, they did not have a good answer, they just told me to fly under 107 so I did not have to call and I told them I knew that but was wondering how I could recommend Airmap to someone who was a hobby flier now that they got rid of that information. Maybe they just don't care about hobby fliers anymore, and it's showing.
This does not help make things any safer for everyone. So stupid.

Yes, I know that. I didn’t say that you were required to carry paper charts, but a prudent pilot I think would do so.

That is exactly what I did in New Zealand when I visited, although I planned all my flights beforehand so I knew they would be legal. I figured that if I decided to do one I had not planned in advance the paper chart would come in handy. As it was I barely had time to do all the planned flights!

I fly part 107 not hobby anymore but I noticed that Airmap has removed the nearby heliport contact information for both 107 and hobby operators. I contacted them and asked why, they did not have a good answer, they just told me to fly under 107 so I did not have to call and I told them I knew that but was wondering how I could recommend Airmap to someone who was a hobby flier now that they got rid of that information. Maybe they just don't care about hobby fliers anymore, and it's showing.
This does not help make things any safer for everyone. So stupid.

You can use this app ‎FlyQ InSight it has heliports and if you click on services tab you should see a contact number

Yes, I know that. I didn’t say that you were required to carry paper charts, but a prudent pilot I think would do so.

Right. But the adoption of paperless has been remarkably rapid, and many (most?) of the major airlines have now gone paperless. Redundancy is being provided electronically rather than with paper these days.

Right. But the adoption of paperless has been remarkably rapid, and many (most?) of the major airlines have now gone paperless. Redundancy is being provided electronically rather than with paper these days.

As a GA pilot (although not flown for many years), required by the FAA or not, I would feel much safer flying knowing I have a back up paper chart. Not all rules and regulations by the FAA are 100% fail proof. Never flew with iPad or GPS but can definitely get around using pilotage and old school navigational aides like VOR, ADF, and ILS in IFR conditions.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav