Airport/Helipad Contact phone numbers on AirMap useless

Reaction score
Before flying a mission, I do my preflights which includes checking TRFs, NOTAMS, checking the B4UFly and AirMap apps and attempt to make my notifications to nearby airports, airstrips and helipads. I have rarely called a number listed for any of these types of locations and gotten through to anyone related to ATM notification. I get "the number you dialed is not a working number" messages, "Our offices are closed" messages in late afternoon or weekends, "I don't know what you are talking about. We don't have an airport" statements from the person who picks up the phone and is clearly confused why a UAS operator is calling or a employee who has nothing to do with the management or control of a airfield or helipad such as the maintenance supervisor at a facility.
I get that we are supposed to notify these contacts that we are conducting UAV operations in their general area. But the constant problems I'm having actually speaking with a live human being who is responsible for the ATC of their helipads, grassy air strips and air ports is completely unreasonable.
Last weekend I showed up at a job site and spent 15 minutes trying to contact 4 local heliports. None had a working number or a person to answer the phone. I gave up, flew the job and had no further issues.
I can't be the only one experiencing this. Am I? What is the answer? When I go out on a job and find out I am a mile from a helipad at a retirement village or movie studio landing pad in the corner of a parking lot but I'm unable to get anyone on the phone at the number listed on any of the websites/apps, what is the answer? I don't see things getting better either. Just worse as DJI, KittyHawk, AirMap and others keep piling more restrictions and warnings on us.
Suggestions? Solutions? There are plenty here with more time flying than me. So what should I be doing? Or am I worrying too much about a non-issue?
Thanks.

All you can do is try and give it your best effort.

Keep in mind that as a Part 107 you are not obligated to contact anyone unless your authorization states so. While it's a great idea to make the effort it's not a FAR for Part 107 operations to do so.

If you're flying under the short lived 336 then you are required to attempt to make contact. Just document your efforts etc and fly safely.

Reactions: Cellblock776
Where I routinely fly as a hobbyist I have found the phone numbers in my area do work they are not always answered sometimes I get answering machines but there has been no problem so far.

I think you'll find that the phone numbers are good, but the number to a small facility that doesn't have full time attendance. In that case, just make a good faith effort, document your attempt, then fly in accordance with the expectations (altitude, LOS, spotter, etc)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers