Notifying heliports

Man this gives me a headache ready all this stuff. I bought a p3s hoping to fly and take some pictures for my self and just enjoy flying. I always had rc planes and enjoyed that. When the drones started getting popular I bought a few of them. I saw what I think was a phantom 3 at a festival every year and I started reading about it. I went ahead and got one. I have a friend that owns a real estate company and had hoped to take some aerial outside pictures for him but I believe that is out. I have looked at different videos on you tube about the part 107. I am 72 and don't think I have the know how to pass a test like that. U abide by all the rules. I have never been higher than 300 feet, never flew over people or anything like that. There us one company here where I live that advertises to di aerial photography. They say they have a part 107. I may go talk to them and see what kind of business they do just for curiosity. It just looks like to me the FAA wants to make it very difficult to get a part 107. Guess I will just take pictures for fun.

The Part 107 test is not trivial, but it's certainly not unreasonably difficult.

I don't know for sure because I haven't' taken it. I may try it but I doubt it. One of the videos I watched said you could possibly be asked questions about:
Aerodynamics
Aeronautical decision making
Risk management
National air space system
Airport operations
sectional charts
weather chars and Emergency procedures
I guess all this is covered in study guides. I just can''t see what the purpose of most of it is.

I don't know for sure because I haven't' taken it. I may try it but I doubt it. One of the videos I watched said you could possibly be asked questions about:
Aerodynamics
Aeronautical decision making
Risk management
National air space system
Airport operations
sectional charts
weather chars and Emergency procedures
I guess all this is covered in study guides. I just can''t see what the purpose of most of it is.

Fixed-wing aerodynamics, which is on the test question set, is arguably marginal for most multicopter use, but don't forget that Part 107 covers all sUAS operations, not just consumer level quadcopters. The rest of those topics all relate to safe operation in the National Airspace System, and if you want to do so safely and professionally, especially in and around controlled airspace, then you need to understand them.

I think a lot of it is arguably marginal from what I can tell. I do want to do it safely for sure. There is very little controlled air space where I live. I have took some practice pictures of different houses for sale. I have never gotten over 50 feet high. Oh well, thank for the comments.

Could someone tell me the minimum altitude a private plane and a helicopter can fly over a populated area. Just wondering.

Could someone tell me the minimum altitude a private plane and a helicopter can fly over a populated area. Just wondering.
91.119 Minimum safe altitudes; general
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere – An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas – Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open-air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas – An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters – Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed In paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

I think a lot of it is arguably marginal from what I can tell. I do want to do it safely for sure. There is very little controlled air space where I live. I have took some practice pictures of different houses for sale. I have never gotten over 50 feet high. Oh well, thank for the comments.
As soon as you leave Terra Firma you are operating in the National Airspace System so 50' AGL is still operating in the NAS. Keep that mind if you're trying to justify not having Part 107.

There are LOT of variables and as noted above "generally" speaking (less so in sparse areas with no controlled airspace) you will see aircraft staying at 500' AGL. But do realize there are MANY reasons an aircraft (heli or airplane) can and DO operate legally below 500' AGL.

I don't know about not justifying having part 107. I guess you could say that. I want to fly legally with my 336. I have one small airport and a national guard base close to me. The airport is 4.3 miles as the crew flies and the national guard base is 4.1 miles . I am going to go talk to whoever I need to about flying and make sure i have the ok just to be sure. I am forgetting a 107 for now.

I don't know about not justifying having part 107. I guess you could say that. I want to fly legally with my 336. I have one small airport and a national guard base close to me. The airport is 4.3 miles as the crew flies and the national guard base is 4.1 miles . I am going to go talk to whoever I need to about flying and make sure i have the ok just to be sure. I am forgetting a 107 for now.

Get something in writing to CYA because they are both within the magical 5 miles of an airport ring. It's easy enough to have a letter of agreement between them and you stating something that makes them feel safe and at least minimizes the amount of notification you need to do. It could be a fax, email, or text or they may (I doubt it) ask that you call before each flying session.

I went by and talked to the people at the airport. They didn't have a problem. Didn't get anything in writing. Turns out I am not in the zone. I was thinking 5 miles all the way around from the airport which wasn't right. I am well outside the zone. About a mile and a half. If I am inside the zone I will call. They are a test center and I asked them if they had many people taking the p107. He said there were some.

I am in the zone. I was thinking it was a five mile radius from the airport instead of 5 miles from the airport. My mistake.

I went by and talked to the people at the airport. They didn't have a problem. Didn't get anything in writing. Turns out I am not in the zone. I was thinking 5 miles all the way around from the airport which wasn't right. I am well outside the zone. About a mile and a half. If I am inside the zone I will call. They are a test center and I asked them if they had many people taking the p107. He said there were some.

Huh?

I think there is some confusion here. As a hobbyist (as of right now) it is 5 miles from the airport for a HOBBY operator for notification. If you are flying commercially (Part 107) it depends on the airspace you are flying in regardless of the distance from the airport.

It sounds like the person you spoke too was quoting Part 107 instead of Hobby. At least that's the only way I can remotely understand what is meant here . . .

Class B surface area ranges from about 4 NM to 8 NM (4.6 SM to 9.2 SM), Class C surface are is generally 5 NM (5.8 SM), Class D surface are is generally 4 NM (4.6 SM). My guess is that both airfields are class D airspace and is why none of them had a problem with him flying outside the 4 NM surface area even though he states he is 4.3 and 4.1 miles from airports and well within the 4.6 SM. Part 336 states you must notify ATC within 5 miles with no reference to nautical miles or statute miles. So part 336 hobbyist can supposedly fly within class Bravo and Charlie surface airspace without having to contact ATC as long as they remain outside of 5 miles from these airports. I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE TO DO THIS AS YOU WILL DEFINITELY GET BUSTED, just showing another example of how part 336 is flawed along with how hobbyist can fly at night and part 107 must obtain a waiver.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4