Notifying heliports

At the beginning of this thread someone said, "I'm having a hard time accepting that you have passed the Part 107 test but don't even remotely understand the regulations. " I am having a hard ime accepting that anyone passed the test because no one seems to agree on what the law is.

That's certainly how it looks, but it's because people are posting without even bothering to read the law. The following two links are essentially complete. The first one is the full set of Part 107 regulations. The second is the current FAA description of how to comply with 107.41, which is either via LAANC or, if that has not yet been rolled out to include wherever you are trying to fly, the FAA portal for waivers and authorizations.

14 CFR Part 107

Flying Drones Near Airports (Controlled Airspace) – Part 107

Reactions: Blade4
You are posting random disinformation. First of all you stated that notification to airports was necessary under Part 101, presumably confusing that with earlier requirements to get authorization for non-recreational flights directly from local ATC.

And when I pointed out that contacting local ATC had been superseded under Part 107 by going through the FAA portal or LAANC (depending on whether LAANC has het been implemented at the airport in question), you are now arguing that you cannot use the FAA portal (yes - you can) and cannot use LAANC. Or rather that you cannot use LAANC without going through one of the FAA partners administering it - which I never said you could.

As for 107.41 - it states exactly what I said - under Part 107 there is no requirement to notify airports. And the ATC authorization that is stated in 107.41 is now achieved via the portal or LAANC:

You really have no clue what you are talking about.

You have a big play on words and misplacing quotes
IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

Follow your posted link and it will take you to page of listed providers to access LAANC or the DroneZone to fill out airspace waiver that could take about 90 days to get approval.

I have no other words to exchange with you and will end my conversation with you here.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 179
You have a big play on words and misplacing quotes
View attachment 106692
View attachment 106693
View attachment 106695

Follow your posted link and it will take you to page of listed providers to access LAANC or the DroneZone to fill out airspace waiver that could take about 90 days to get approval.

I have no other words to exchange with you and will end my conversation with you here.

You are back to quoting recreational rules. What is so difficult for you to understand about the distinction between recreational and Part 107?

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Whenever Ive notified airports and heliports of intended flight below 400', everytime they want to know what all the concern is about to even contact them in the first place. Conclusion: Flying drones below 400' is inconsequential to airport and nonairport traffic. Therefore, to restrict ground-hugging drone activity with higher-flying aircraft traffic that really is a factor, simply makes no sense. The Part 107 regulations should be rewritten as... "No A-B-C-D-E airspace restriction for commercial drones, if operating below 400' and outside 1 mile of the airport tarmac".

Last edited:
Whenever Ive notified airports and heliports of intended flight below 400', everytime they want to know what all the concern is about to even contact them in the first place. Conclusion: Flying drones below 400' is inconsequential to airport and nonairport traffic. Therefore, to restrict ground-hugging drone activity with higher-flying aircraft traffic that really is a factor, simply makes no sense. The Part 107 regulations should be rewritten as... "No A-B-C-D-E airspace restriction for commercial drones, if operating below 400' and outside 1 mile of the airport tarmac".

Do you know how high the glide slope is 1 mile from an airport?

Where did you come up with 276 feet, and what airport are you referring to ?

It's just the height of a 3° glide slope at one mile from the runway threshold. Simple trigonometry.

h = 5280 x tan(3°) = 276.

It's not related to any particular airport.

Reactions: Loz
It's just the height of a 3° glide slope at one mile from the runway threshold. Simple trigonometry.

h = 5280 x tan(3°) = 276.

It's not related to any particular airport.

Ok. Your question in post #25 did not mention a 3 degree glide slope, thus the need for my inquiry. Thanks for the clarification.

Think the point was to correct the incorrect earlier statement, ie flying below 400 IS consequential for airports, as aircraft do fly below this when landing and on takeoff - and manned aircraft always get priority if there is doubt.

Last edited:
Wether flying for a hobby or commercially, you should make contact with all the helipad’s that are nearby. It’s a matter of safety, not a matter of rules or guidelines. In my case the closest helipad has agreed that if I stay outside of the boundaries of their property it’s OK. They don’t fly over tree tops. They fly above 500 feet and then land vertically over the landing pad.

That's certainly how it looks, but it's because people are posting without even bothering to read the law. The following two links are essentially complete. The first one is the full set of Part 107 regulations. The second is the current FAA description of how to comply with 107.41, which is either via LAANC or, if that has not yet been rolled out to include wherever you are trying to fly, the FAA portal for waivers and authorizations.

14 CFR Part 107

Good answer!

You should use airmap or Skyward to find out about the airspace you are going to fly in. I don't like airmap's management trying to complicate laws in order to make themselves more necessary but their product is very functional, I use skyward when I can. In any case you can get the information about airports and heliports from airmap and any without a contact you can look up here: AirNav: Airport Information.
As a part 107 operator you are NOT REQUIRED to notify the heliports, and as for airports unless you need to use the LAANC, you don't have to notify them either.
I am not telling you NOT to notify, it is a courtesy to them and makes the sky safer if you do call.
You should hit the books and study up on the part 107 laws and how airspace and notification work.
sar104 and BigAl07 are pretty knowledgeable about these things so if I were you I would take whatever advice they give (check for yourself) and just say thanks instead of arguing with them.

Reactions: Blade4
If you call your local flight service station FSS. You can also file a NOTAM. Notice to airmen. You’ll talk to the flight data center. If I am in a location where there are possibilities of aircraft with no radio or just an ultra high traffic volume, I’m talking manned aircraft of course. I will go ahead and file NOTAM.

And of course I’m talking about the times that I fly part 107.

Every manned aircraft pilot Is required by part 91 to do a thorough pre-flight planning process even if they are simply going to fly under VFR conditions.

That does include a review of all pertinent NOTAMS. If they happen to be operating near your area they will see your FILED NOTAM.

Of course manned aircraft except for takeoff and landing, have prescribed minimum altitude‘s that they must maintain that vary and are dependent upon where they are operating their aircraft.

Except for takeoff and landing none of those altitude’s will be in the 400 AGL feet and below range.

The areas that that CAN happen would be out in a flight training areas which is often signified by an alert area. (A-XYZ) number. Those are also the designated on VFR sectionals.

So as long as the remote pilot, and the manned aircraft pilot do their due diligence during the flight planning process. The theory goes that there should never be any traffic conflicts between said aircraft.

Reactions: skymonkey
SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

I find this website to be a helpful website not only when I plan for my job as a corporate pilot, I find it very useful whenever I decide that I would like to file a NOTAM, for my 107 operations.

I find the TAC charts around the metropolitan areas to be particularly helpful when I give a radial and a distance off of a local VOR NAV aid when I file my position reporting to define my NOTAM airspace.

FltPlan.com has very good online sectionals too. You may have to take some time to learn how to use these apps as they are designed for manned aircraft.

As it was stated before or above, your best bet is to sit down with the regulations really go through them to the point where you have no question about your upcoming operations. Do not be afraid to go to your local airport. Go to your local airport and pay CFI to sit down with you for an hour and really explain those VFR/TAC charts.

If you call your local flight service station FSS. You can also file a NOTAM. Notice to airmen. You’ll talk to the flight data center. If I am in a location where there are possibilities of aircraft with no radio or just an ultra high traffic volume, I’m talking manned aircraft of course. I will go ahead and file NOTAM.

And of course I’m talking about the times that I fly part 107.

Every manned aircraft pilot Is required by part 91 to do a thorough pre-flight planning process even if they are simply going to fly under VFR conditions.

That does include a review of all pertinent NOTAMS. If they happen to be operating near your area they will see your FILED NOTAM.

Of course manned aircraft except for takeoff and landing, have prescribed minimum altitude‘s that they must maintain that vary and are dependent upon where they are operating their aircraft.

Except for takeoff and landing none of those altitude’s will be in the 400 AGL feet and below range.

The areas that that CAN happen would be out in a flight training areas which is often signified by an alert area. (A-XYZ) number. Those are also the designated on VFR sectionals.

So as long as the remote pilot, and the manned aircraft pilot do their due diligence during the flight planning process. The theory goes that there should never be any traffic conflicts between said aircraft.

You can also register here Flight Service and file online under UAS-Planing

Reactions: BigAl07 and Blade4
I am a new P107 pilot. I am using the B4UFLY app. When I entered my flight plan I was told that there are 5 heliports within 5 miles of my location that I needed to notify before I continued my flight. They are all at hospitals and business so I am assuming they have no towers. How would I go about notifying them?

The above quote is from OP, so I thought he was talking about heliports only. Like many smaller communities, we have a heliport at the local hospital which is not B, C, or D or "surface E," but is G. As a 107 pilot, I'm just obligated to be very diligent - preferably with at least one visual observer - and have a situational awareness plan (Land!) if the air ambulance is nearby, including on the ground and active. Fortunately, my helicopter environment is not congested like the OP's, but aren't the rules the same unless within a surface-up authorization area (awareness and a plan)?

Man this gives me a headache ready all this stuff. I bought a p3s hoping to fly and take some pictures for my self and just enjoy flying. I always had rc planes and enjoyed that. When the drones started getting popular I bought a few of them. I saw what I think was a phantom 3 at a festival every year and I started reading about it. I went ahead and got one. I have a friend that owns a real estate company and had hoped to take some aerial outside pictures for him but I believe that is out. I have looked at different videos on you tube about the part 107. I am 72 and don't think I have the know how to pass a test like that. U abide by all the rules. I have never been higher than 300 feet, never flew over people or anything like that. There us one company here where I live that advertises to di aerial photography. They say they have a part 107. I may go talk to them and see what kind of business they do just for curiosity. It just looks like to me the FAA wants to make it very difficult to get a part 107. Guess I will just take pictures for fun.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20