Hobbyist calling airports

Reaction score
I figure most people that are on the forum have drones that weigh enough to be registered. What I am wondering is how many hobbyist actually call airports and helipads if they live within the five mile radius. I live within the radius of one airport with no tower and two helipads with no tower. What do some of the rest of you hobbyist do. If I were to go two miles south of my house to fly I would be within the 5 mile radius of one major airport, one municipal airport and 4 helipads. What should I do. Don't want to spend all my time on the phone. I figure most of the people that get drones from wal mart, best buy and places like that probably never register their drone much less call airports when they are going to fly. Just wondering.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
One of the major reasons I got my Part 107 was to avoid having to call every little helipad, etc. near me. Even my local car dealership shows up as a helipad. Not a bad idea to let Class G airports know you’re there when practical, but after a certain point it gets ridiculous. Of course, Part 107 imposes more serious restrictions around Class B, C and D, but with LAANC, even that can be very easy.

i have a long time friend thats dealing with cancer....I have been wanting to show him the drone and fly it for him...he lives right next to a nice big open field.......However the whole area all around the field if full of small private airports...the friend lives 30 miles away......and i know for sure theirs heli ports for a few hospitals too in the area !....SO WHAT TO DO ? : I called the FAA ATC facility in Olathe Kansas....I asked to talk to the regional manager....And i told him my name and what i had and i was a part 336 drone operator...and i told him " I always fly responsibly "...and...and i told him where i wanted to fly the drone and the times and exact location....He told me that as long as i fly with in the FAA laws......I was OK to fly the area....I took his him name and the time i called and his phone number and took it with me to fly for the cancer patient.......That's my story thanks for reading it....OH by the way Tim my friend loved the drone and my flights and i took several videos of him waving to the camera in the drone...and i know that he sure wishes he had one to fly !

Their are Some " nice considerate " people in the world....sometimes they are far and few between !

I plan to get my 107 for the reasons mentioned by athearnsd45, but I call up all my airports every time I fly. Many helipads just told me they’ll watch out for me in my area and that I should stop spam calling them, but for the airports the towers usually grant me blocks where I can fly and do my business, and I just let them know once I’ve completed my operations. It may be tedious, but being located in Florida, I don’t have many other options. :/)

At the moment I am not interested in the part 107. I just want to fly. Maybe at some point I may attempt to get the the part 107.
I agree with the part where you said practical. I show to be 4.6 miles from the municipal airport. In ny opinion it doesn't make sense for me to call and them I will be flying here in my yard or up at the school which would be about 4 miles but if I don't I am breaking the law. I an going to the airports and helipads and talk to them and see what they want me to do. I have. Ever been over 300 feet or let my drone get out of sight. I am 72 but I still have a good bit of common sense. I think!!!

Great story Motorcycle Man. I too fly withe the FAA regs except for the five rule. I am going to do like you did and talk to them. Like I said the small airport I live close to doesn't have a tower. I have called there twice to talk to the airport manager but he as been out flying. The fellow who answer the phone was a teenager. I figure he just answers the phone. I'll get it worked out. Just don't' want any problems or especially any fines. I have finally found a hobby I really like and don't want to mess it up.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
It's pretty simple... either you call (as mandated by law) or you are in violation. Don't be "that guy" even though it might seem like an inconvenience to you and your hobby flying.

It's possible they can give you some type of "open agreement" to fly without calling but if they do you'd better get it in writing.

I’m within five miles of an airport, but we have a language barrier; I speak English and a little Spanish, everyone at that airport just speaks cow. Airport still shows up on all the maps and throws up the warnings on the screen, but it’s been abandoned and grown over with brush for decades, with somebody running their cattle on the runway..

Thats great Bullerman its the drone law breakers that royally screw things UP for the drone flyers that abide by the FAA flight rules and guide lines..its kinda like being able to play ball in some neighbors field with your kids and then somebody kids trash it and NO Body can play or trespass on it no more....same thing with the Drone law breakers ! They screw it UP for the 336 and 107s !
SHAME On them all !

I am a new Part 107 pilot. When I use B4UFly it lists 5 heliports within 5 miles. It gives me their location but no way to contact them. Can anyone let me know the best way to get their contact information?

MWH107, it’s admirable if you want to contact those heliports before every flight, but if you’re flying a Part 107 mission in Class G, you’re not required to do so. It is, however, fully your responsibility to see and avoid other air traffic.

I am a new Part 107 pilot. When I use B4UFly it lists 5 heliports within 5 miles. It gives me their location but no way to contact them. Can anyone let me know the best way to get their contact information?
Try skyvector. I was able to find the helipads and air port contact numbers.

Reactions: BigAl07
Big A. I figure they may say it's ok to fly but I doubt if they will sign anything. I surely don't want to make them mad trying to get them to sign something. I am going here in a little and talk to them. I would gladly sign something saying I won't get higher than 300 feet and fly vlos which I do anyway. I will post later about what they said.

One of the major reasons I got my Part 107 was to avoid having to call every little helipad, etc. near me. Even my local car dealership shows up as a helipad. Not a bad idea to let Class G airports know you’re there when practical, but after a certain point it gets ridiculous. Of course, Part 107 imposes more serious restrictions around Class B, C and D, but with LAANC, even that can be very easy.
I'm not asking @athearnsd45 directly, but his post above raises curiosity.
Using the "intent" scenarios discussed numerous times relating to photography, does intent matter if you are flying for fun, but not calling the airport because you have your Part 107?

You are supposed to declare your flight as Part 107 or hobby before starting the motors. Now, how that would be enforced is anyone’s guess, but it’s recommended to keep a log.

I’m within five miles of an airport, but we have a language barrier; I speak English and a little Spanish, everyone at that airport just speaks cow. Airport still shows up on all the maps and throws up the warnings on the screen, but it’s been abandoned and grown over with brush for decades, with somebody running their cattle on the runway..
Westport Airport and AG Sales and Services - Wichita, Kansas

(the story of Dead Cow International Airport, for your amusement)

I'm not asking @athearnsd45 directly, but his post above raises curiosity.
Using the "intent" scenarios discussed numerous times relating to photography, does intent matter if you are flying for fun, but not calling the airport because you have your Part 107?

You can fly under Part 107 at any time - even if the flight is recreational.

In my experience, you can often call and make an operating arrangement with the authorities at the airport or helipad. Often, all they want is to have your cell phone number and flight times so they can call you off if needed. This might be an arrangement with a hospital or a small airport. I would NOT even consider flying within the 5-mile radius of larger airports.

BTW ... safety matters whether you are 107 licensed or not; whether you are a commercial pilot or a recreational pilot. For that reason, I recommend all pilots review all the FAA 107 training material. Recreational pilots don't have to take the test ($$$) but should know, for example, the rules and how to use charts to assess the nature of the airspace they intend to fly in.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20