Hobbyist calling airports

As a GA pilot (although not flown for many years), required by the FAA or not, I would feel much safer flying knowing I have a back up paper chart. Not all rules and regulations by the FAA are 100% fail proof. Never flew with iPad or GPS but can definitely get around using pilotage and old school navigational aides like VOR, ADF, and ILS in IFR conditions.

Fair enough. You don't trust this new-fangled digital stuff. Welcome to the future.

Fair enough. You don't trust this new-fangled digital stuff. Welcome to the future.

Actually I trust it and have seen many videos using iPads and glass cockpit while navigating. I just like having a plan b just in case. The best bank robbery plan always includes a great get away plan. Check out Money Heist on Netflix.

I figure most people that are on the forum have drones that weigh enough to be registered. What I am wondering is how many hobbyist actually call airports and helipads if they live within the five mile radius. I live within the radius of one airport with no tower and two helipads with no tower. What do some of the rest of you hobbyist do. If I were to go two miles south of my house to fly I would be within the 5 mile radius of one major airport, one municipal airport and 4 helipads. What should I do. Don't want to spend all my time on the phone. I figure most of the people that get drones from wal mart, best buy and places like that probably never register their drone much less call airports when they are going to fly. Just wondering.
I have. We wanted to do some video of a construction project at work and there's a fair-sized airport about 3 miles away. we are not in the direct glide path, but I called them, told them how high I expected to be (less than 100 feet), etc. They were very nice about it, thanked me for calling, and just asked me to call them on the day I would be flying to let them know.

I have. We wanted to do some video of a construction project at work and there's a fair-sized airport about 3 miles away. we are not in the direct glide path, but I called them, told them how high I expected to be (less than 100 feet), etc. They were very nice about it, thanked me for calling, and just asked me to call them on the day I would be flying to let them know.

That wasn't a hobbyist (recreational) flight though, so the 5-mile notification requirement doesn't even apply.

That wasn't a hobbyist (recreational) flight though, so the 5-mile notification requirement doesn't even apply.
Well, technically, I'm a hobbyist and while I was on company time, I wasn't being paid for that "work." Who can say?

I think the tower couldn’t care less if the flight is part 107 or hobbyist just as long as they get notified of the where, when, and altitude of the operation.
I have a part 107 and live within 2 miles of class D airspace that does not have LAANC capability yet, as most class D airspace still don’t . If I needed to do a commercial job inside of the airspace and didn’t want to wait the 90 days or so to get my waiver approved, I could just pick up the phone and get the authorization.
Which reg would I be in violation of?

Well, technically, I'm a hobbyist and while I was on company time, I wasn't being paid for that "work." Who can say?

I'm afraid technically you operated your drone in a Commercial endeavor. In no way is flying a drone for the company your WORK for (on or off the clock) a hobby activity. The mere fact is was a company project working on company time... see the fault in that mere statement? LOL!

Your mere declaration of "I'm only a hobbyist" carries no weight what so ever. Your actions and intentions are what matters.

I think the tower couldn’t care less if the flight is part 107 or hobbyist just as long as they get notified of the where, when, and altitude of the operation.
I have a part 107 and live within 2 miles of class D airspace that does not have LAANC capability yet, as most class D airspace still don’t . If I needed to do a commercial job inside of the airspace and didn’t want to wait the 90 days or so to get my waiver approved, I could just pick up the phone and get the authorization.

Until the FARs are re-written to specifically exclude making a direct request with ATC it's not violating anything other than the FAA's memo for ATC to not grant verbal approvals. The FAA has mandated not to call but it's not written into the FARs yet or I haven't seen it. If the tower gives approval then you are approved until it's written otherwise.

We had to call the tower a few weeks ago because LAANC was taken down (I think due to a bug). I called from the location, spoke with ATC and they gave me verbal approval for the job. Thy logged my information as I did theirs and we were good to go.

Reactions: skymonkey
Until the FARs are re-written to specifically exclude making a direct request with ATC it's not violating anything other than the FAA's memo for ATC to not grant verbal approvals. The FAA has mandated not to call but it's not written into the FARs yet or I haven't seen it. If the tower gives approval then you are approved until it's written otherwise.

We had to call the tower a few weeks ago because LAANC was taken down (I think due to a bug). I called from the location, spoke with ATC and they gave me verbal approval for the job. Thy logged my information as I did theirs and we were good to go.

As of right now can hobbyists use the LAANC system?
And if not do you think they will under the new regs coming out?

Do you think they will be able to use LAANC under the new regs.

I honestly haven't given it a single thought but if the hobby regs are written correctly this could be possible.

Reactions: skymonkey

You wouldn't be in violation of anything, but ATC would have acted contrary to FAA policy in granting it. Most towers will care because, under Part 107 you are asking for approval that they have been instructed not to give, while under Part 101 you are just notifying them, and while that gives them the opportunity to object, on safety grounds, they are not the authorizing authority.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
You wouldn't be in violation of anything, but ATC would have acted contrary to FAA policy in granting it. Most towers will care because, under Part 107 you are asking for approval that they have been instructed not to give, while under Part 101 you are just notifying them, and while that gives them the opportunity to object, on safety grounds, they are not the authorizing authority.

BigA107 explained it on post #48, but thanks for your input.

BigA107 explained it on post #48, but thanks for your input.

@BigAl07's reply was about whether you or ATC would be violating any regulations if they approved your Part 107 flight. My reply was addressing the other issue in your post - whether they cared if you were Part 107 or Part 101. Different issue.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers