Prop flew off at 250 ft and 1 minute in.

Wow, almost too crazy to believe. You are ballsier than I am, knowing it would behave like that and still sending it up with them. Wouldnt a mid air cvc be as gentle to get it back down? Did your prior tries end with such a thud?

Yeah I am curious as to how they say you are at fault.

I tested several sets of props several times each first oem dji props, then gemfan carbon fiber, then the knock offs see my other video for the full test link below that was the first kind of crash I guess lol that's my spare v+ I got a three standard on order. but ya I was given this set of props and dam near **** my pants when it first happened and I thought the ***** was flying away I was able to put it in manual and save it other wise that bad girl was gone which is why I just invested in a marco polo drone tracker from acesdeals.biz just to be safe so I have a piece of mind

Holy smoke ... that was dramatic. You would think the drone would crash right away, but its smarts try to (over)compensate for a prop that starts to fail. Then, when the prop fails completely, the dramatic and unexpected crash.

Thanks for posting ... thanks for the warning ... appreciated!

well it didn't fail it broke during the crash but yes the fc keep trying to over compensate and in essence wanted to fly away stay away from non dji products cheers

Looking at the photos of props that came off during flight. You will see that the props were not screwed on right. The prop was only being held by one thread and therefore broke off in flight. The lessons here are;
1) inspect props before putting on
2) Make sure the props thread all the way on! Double check to make sure.
3) If doesn't spin freely when putting on then replace prop.

Double check and Have Fun!

Thanks for pointing this out, although the linked video is utterly useless other than 1 minute flight demo out of 7.5 minutes ... a lot of chatter about nothing and no factual info/numbers/settings. This leads me to a question about active braking settings ...

On the DJI GO screen, very much in DJI fuzzy style, the brake setting range is 70%-130%, and the default setting is 0 (zero). WTH does this mean ... what is zero? 70%, 130%, or maybe 100%?

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this out, although the linked video is utterly useless other than 1-minute flight demo out of 7.5 minutes ... a lot of chatter about nothing and no factual info/numbers/settings. This leads me to a question about active breaking settings ...

On the DJI GO screen, very much in DJI fuzzy style, the break setting range is 70%-130%, and the default setting is 0 (zero). WTH does this mean ... what is zero? 70%, 130%, or maybe 100%?

WTH? Not sure what that is.

You can try both extreme settings and test t out the drone behavior yourself. This way you don't need to rely on other people's video.

For my part, the video is short, but I can see it. Also, I caught most of what he said. But then again, I have good idea what active breaking is so maybe that's why it makes sense to me.

I have no problem grasping the concept of active braking ... in the video, or in real time with my drone. The settings and the DJI defaults in the example/video were confusing to me. I am one of those RTFM people who want to learn before experimenting with the real thing ... some actions, like drone crashes, cannot be undone.

Anyhow, here is a screen grab from the more recent version 2.4.3 of DJI Go app ... cleaned up and self explanatory now.

IMG_0035_zpsgob6eati.png

I left brake at 100, but reduced the atti to 80, and yaw to 130. This should make the drone maneuvers more mellow, and avoid revving the motors and stressing the props unnecessarily. Hope this helps ...

DJI is stating improper installation of the propeller. Not sure how it could have flown 300 feet up in the air and 50 seconds with the propeller installed incorectly but any further insight would be much appreciated.

I am still fighting my case and was told I should hear back from DJI by the end of the week

yea i was quite happy. after I finally called they put a note in about what i said and within a few hours i got a call back offering to knock out the price of the main board $316 and then i asked if they could replace my broken battery. They offfered me a free used(tester) battery or a $50 for a used 10 - 15 uses battery. I took the free testing battery which should have less than 50 flights on it.

yea i was quite happy. after I finally called they put a note in about what i said and within a few hours i got a call back offering to knock out the price of the main board $316 and then i asked if they could replace my broken battery. They offfered me a free used(tester) battery or a $50 for a used 10 - 15 uses battery. I took the free testing battery which should have less than 50 flights on it.

how would you know if the battery has 10-15 uses though? im guessing the free battery would have a lot more uses then. would the dji app show this info?

how would you know if the battery has 10-15 uses though?
You can find the number of times the battery was charged in the DJI GO app. Generally, you should multiply that number by 2 to get the actual number. It only increments every time the battery has been used 100% -- which means it was really used twice since it's not possible to use 100% of the battery in a single flight.

DJI-GO-Battery-Times-Charged.jpg

I never remove the prop once it's installed, saves it flying off

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I never remove the prop once it's installed
How do you know if they are damaged and/or properly tightened before taking off? Skipping those pre-flight checks could be equally as fatal.

How do you know if they are damaged and/or properly tightened before taking off? Skipping those pre-flight checks could be equally as fatal.

The fact is on the advanced you don't really know, you tighten and hope for the best, my rule is once it's tight don't remove the prop ever unless it's broken, there is no way to gauge whether your prop is secure unless you have a phantom 4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

There seems to be some confusion here. Active braking (not breaking ;) )is not about motor braking; motor braking (as implemented on some racing/aerobatic quads, which can sometimes even reverse spin direction for 3D) could cause these types of props to fly off, but this setting is not about that, its just about how aggressive the autopilot changes the ground speed of the quad, not the motors. You can set it as high or as low as you want, it would have no more impact on the chance of props flying off than how aggressive you move the sticks in attitude mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj