Prop flew off at 250 ft and 1 minute in.

The blades from DJI have a DJI lettering stamp on them for the ones I've seen.

Be careful. There are a lot of knock-off props being sold by sellers outside of the US. A lot of those listings look legit to most people too.

Comments have also been made here and on other forums about how often one removes/replaces the props. I don't generally transport my Phantom all over the place - no carry box, backpack, etc. I just set my Phantom on the floorboard and drive to where I'm flying. I haven't removed my props in a long, long time. I guess the theory is the plastic will eventually "give out" if you remove and replace the props a lot. I honestly don't know if that's a fair consideration or not - just relating what I've heard/seen.

I had my P3A flying for five min. a few weeks ago and a prop flew off during a stationary hover. Pretty convinced that it was a ESC or physical motor lockup that caused it.
It has been sent to DJI and I am waiting on word from them as we speak.
Makes me nervous when flying my P3P that something similar might happen.
good timing. let me know how yours goes and ill do the same

my repair status was just updated to "waiting for payment". so far i have not received anything from them

If that sliver shown in your picture is part the first thread and the rest of the threads are OK then I suspect that this is an effect of the prop coming off rather than the cause. Most likely, the motor stopped in flight and inertia kept the prop spinning in the direction it was turning which unscrews it. As it gets to the last bit of thread and with the bird now starting to tumble, the prop exits at an angle to the shaft peeling the last bit of thread loose.

Pretty plausible explanation. You should be one of those guys that investigates aircraft accidents.

now that i think about it, the bird made a loud screeching sound as it was falling. pretty much like a motor was trying to turn buy couldnt

got my bill the other day. $506 plus im out a battery so really $650. better to sell and buy a brand new one at $800

got my bill the other day. $506 plus im out a battery so really $650. better to sell and buy a brand new one at $800
Wow, may I ask how long you had it for? About how many flights? Im considering a P3A, but am starting to wonder if I really need light bridge. Yuneec seems to be WAY better at taking care of their customers. Dont want to spend 2k, but that typhoon H that is coming looks pretty sweet.

Just noticed you got it in September of last year.... That is unacceptable imo. Did they give any explanation why you were at fault?

Had a prop with same damage inside of it. Even tho it was Brand new. Never used before. Straight away flew it solo into the trash can.

Heres the picture of the sucker.

Attachments

• 1452284664245.jpg
    1452284664245.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 378
now that i think about it, the bird made a loud screeching sound as it was falling. pretty much like a motor was trying to turn buy couldnt

Yeah, as expected ... one motor was trying to turn faster to compensate and keep the bird leveled, but it couldn't since the prop was gone.

My p3p did the same thing at about 200' on Christmas Eve in Hawaii. 5th flight ever with the phantom and it started spinning, flipped, and crashed full speed into the rocks below.

Waiting to hear from DJI what the cause is. I could not download the log from the p3p, but another pilot that witnessed the crash said the controller stores the info as well. Is that correct?

I believe it is one of the back up props. I have crashed once before but over a 3 months ago. it has flown with no issues since then. You can see a piece of plastic chipped off on the inside of the propeller
I have been flying with this prop for 3 months roughly 20 flights

You gave us the honest deposition here. Hopefully you have learned the lesson, I am not saying this lightly, and you will take better care of the next bird, and the props in particular by doing preflight checks, after crash assessment, risk assessment ($20 props vs $1k crashed drone), etc.

Even without crashing the props into anything they need to be discarded and replaced with a new set from time to time. I do not know if it is 20 flights or 120, but the material gets tired, wears and weakens, gets damaged by (mis)handling even when not visible with naked eye. Replace the props routinely, and after any crash ... just a preventive maintenance at the cost of $20.

Wow, may I ask how long you had it for? About how many flights? Im considering a P3A, but am starting to wonder if I really need light bridge. Yuneec seems to be WAY better at taking care of their customers. Dont want to spend 2k, but that typhoon H that is coming looks pretty sweet.

Just noticed you got it in September of last year.... That is unacceptable imo. Did they give any explanation why you were at fault?

Prop damage could be caused by op to be honest (sorry op but true) .. there's not sufficient evidence to indicate manufacturing problem..

otherwise DJI would cover it by warranty repair.

Remember most people that post because they have problems.. Not the 500,000 - 1,000,000 (??) with no problems

DJI is industry leader for a reason.. not by luck

Prop damage could be caused by op to be honest (sorry op but true) .. there's not sufficient evidence to indicate manufacturing problem..

otherwise DJI would cover it by warranty repair.

Remember most people that post because they have problems.. Not the 500,000 - 1,000,000 (??) with no problems

DJI is industry leader for a reason.. not by luck
Yeah I know. Just worries me seeing reports like this. JSilvey had his for 5 flights. Do I know what happened during his flight? Of course not. I just know I wont/cant drop $1000 on a second quad if the first should just fall from the sky a month in (or shorter) I will be checking flight logs, hardware before and after every flight, and plan to use it for footage without a huge risk (above tree's ect) I have a cheap toy quad to zip around and crash into stuff.

I edit too much: On the other hand I have read reports of yuneec repairing free of charge even with user error (Not that I expect that). The P3 is a far superior machine dont get me wrong (at least to the q500)... Just the customer service worries me. (Probably a little expensive of a hobby for me but you only live once)

Last edited:
My p3p did the same thing at about 200' on Christmas Eve in Hawaii. 5th flight ever with the phantom and it started spinning, flipped, and crashed full speed into the rocks below.

Waiting to hear from DJI what the cause is. I could not download the log from the p3p, but another pilot that witnessed the crash said the controller stores the info as well. Is that correct?
You can get the log file off your phone or tablet.

If not crashed is there a necessity to get new props anyways?
You should replace them occasionally. They are $6/pair at Bestbuy, so to pay $12 periodically to keep from crashing sounds reasonable to me

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub