Prop flew off at 250 ft and 1 minute in.

Did you use a balance rod to balance your props, and if so did the CCW props go on as easy as the CW props?
The Orion rod that is advertised on Amazon, has some people complaining that it's CCW threads, well .... basically suck.
Some cheap rods can damage the hub threads, especially the CCW/left hand threads, if not cut properly.

For five bucks I can find out. For the past five years I have been buying most of my stuff online from Asia. With a few exceptions, the stuff has been of very good quality.

Just to be certain, I will mark their source when I receive them. If something goes wrong, I'll know where the blades came from.
That may be small consolation when you have to pick up the pieces from your drone off the forest floor (assuming you can find them). The props are what keep you in the air.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1449963415.062800.jpg

I wonder if that chipped part of the hub created a debris-like situation in the hub, that caused you to think/feel like the prop was sufficiently tightened, when it was actually only up against the debris, and with the hub not having a good "seat" the prop just came lose in flight. (???)
Other than the chip/debris in there, is there any other sign of damage to the prop?

If you simply mounted this prop as instructed, and didn't use a suspect balance rod (as I posted about earlier) to balance the prop ... and possibly making the debris yourself by forcing poorly cut threads on the balance rod into the hub, then yeah ... I would be looking for DJI to belly up and cover you on this one.

Last edited:
I wonder if that debris in the hub caused you to think/feel like the prop was sufficiently tightened, when it was actually only up against the debris, and with the hub not having a good "seat" the prop just came lose in flight. (???)
Other than the debris in there, is there any other sign of damage to the prop?

If you simply mounted this prop as instructed, and didn't use a suspect balance rod (as I posted about earlier) to balance the prop ... and possibly making the debris yourself by forcing poorly cut threads on the balance rod into the hub, then yeah, I would be looking for DJI to belly up and cover you on this one.
Debris? There is no debris in there. What you see is a piece of the threads chipped off

Yeah, I edited my post to clarify what I meant about the debris actually being the chip.
When I look at the image it appears to be resting on the inner rim at the lower ~6:00 position.
I'm wondering if that may have caused the prop to never be seated all the way down on the motor threads, but felt like it was when you put it on ..... if that makes sense. (???)

Who knows but the fact that it flew fine for 45 seconds leads me to believe that it somehow broke in the air.

Did you use a balance rod to balance your props, and if so did the CCW props go on as easy as the CW props?
The Orion rod that is advertised on Amazon, has some people complaining that it's CCW threads, well .... basically suck.
Some cheap rods can damage the hub threads, especially the CCW/left hand threads, if not cut properly.
No I have not used any balancing rods

If that sliver shown in your picture is part the first thread and the rest of the threads are OK then I suspect that this is an effect of the prop coming off rather than the cause. Most likely, the motor stopped in flight and inertia kept the prop spinning in the direction it was turning which unscrews it. As it gets to the last bit of thread and with the bird now starting to tumble, the prop exits at an angle to the shaft peeling the last bit of thread loose.

If that sliver shown in your picture is part the first thread and the rest of the threads are OK then I suspect that this is an effect of the prop coming off rather than the cause. Most likely, the motor stopped in flight and inertia kept the prop spinning in the direction it was turning which unscrews it. As it gets to the last bit of thread and with the bird now starting to tumble, the prop exits at an angle to the shaft peeling the last bit of thread loose.

Good analysis

I can't find anything anywhere about a repair after props flying off. I have faith in DJI though, just bummed I'm out my bird for a while

DJI will blame you saying you did not tighten the props enough. Make sure you save your log file before sending them the Phantom. It is possible that the prop flying off was caused by a glitch in the ESC or motor wire separating. Have you powered up the bird since the crash?

I had my P3A flying for five min. a few weeks ago and a prop flew off during a stationary hover. Pretty convinced that it was a ESC or physical motor lockup that caused it.
It has been sent to DJI and I am waiting on word from them as we speak.
Makes me nervous when flying my P3P that something similar might happen.

at 1 minute into the flight and 250 feet up 1 of the props flew off mid air and then fell straight to the ground. I found the prop that flew off and you can see part of the plastic inside of the prop broke off. I am about to file a claim. any idea if this should be covered? Could someone please provide me with the link?

The gimbal detached and the shell broke as well as part of the leg. any help is greatly appreciated.
You could send it to ALLTRONIX they are good and quick pretty inexpensive

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31