Prop flew off at 250 ft and 1 minute in.

Reaction score
at 1 minute into the flight and 250 feet up 1 of the props flew off mid air and then fell straight to the ground. I found the prop that flew off and you can see part of the plastic inside of the prop broke off. I am about to file a claim. any idea if this should be covered? Could someone please provide me with the link?

The gimbal detached and the shell broke as well as part of the leg. any help is greatly appreciated.

I found the prop that flew off and you can see part of the plastic inside of the prop broke off.

Is there more to the history of this prop? Did it ever stop suddenly in past flights because it hit something? How long has this propeller flown?

I believe it is one of the back up props. I have crashed once before but over a 3 months ago. it has flown with no issues since then. You can see a piece of plastic chipped off on the inside of the propeller

The reason I asked is because during a recent P3P upgrade, I didn't reboot everything and when I powered up my drone it just took off on its own and crashed into a shed.

I checked the propeller for damage near the blades, but it did not occur to me to check the hubs. I have flown the drone with the damaged propellers twice with no problem. But after seeing your post, I decided to remove the propellers for a closer examination of the hubs. It turns out they are cracked on both sides (as per the photo below).

I thank you for posting your problem to the forum, but you need to consider what you did to cause the hubs to crack.

[Update: I need to take that back, but I will leave the post up. I checked my new propellers and they have the same kind of markings, which looks like a manufacturing mark. Although my propeller is probably still flyable, it is slightly chipped on the tip and so I will just replace it. For the cost of the propeller, it isn't worth taking the chance. ]
IMG_2985.JPG

Last edited:
you can see part of the plastic inside of the prop broke off
Did you see this in your pre-flight inspection? Or did you not inspect your props?

I have been flying with this prop for 3 months roughly 20 flights
Can you post a picture of the damaged propeller? I would like to get a better understanding of this for my own knowledge.

For the cost of the propellers, and the bill that comes due when the props fail, using anything but clean, undamaged, (preferably balanced) propellers is insane. If you hit something with them heavier than air, toss them. You may not see a small stress fracture and even loss of a few mm off the tip will likely crash the drone.

And pics would be nice. We like pics.

For the cost of the propellers, and the bill that comes due when the props fail, using anything but clean, undamaged, (preferably balanced) propellers is insane. If you hit something with them heavier than air, toss them. You may not see a small stress fracture and even loss of a few mm off the tip will likely crash the drone.

I just bought 4 new DJI 9450 propellers on eBay for $5.58. It will take a few weeks coming from Asia, but what an investment.

It is beginning to look like it was a defective propeller to me. Is this an OEM propeller from DJI? Do you recall whether it was over tightened when installed?

Are the threads really stripped? Sometimes they will have a sliver of thread appearing loose at the bottom. Is the hub cracked? Can you tighten it back up snug on the motor?
The only way I have really seen props come off in flight was dues to some glitch in the ESC or one wire from the motor becoming disconnected.
If the prop failed in normal use and was not damaged from a crash, then DJI should replace or repair your bird. Don't accept less from them.

Remember only ever tighten props by hand - just finger tight!
I don't trust these props the thread is too fragile BUT the metal ones used to spin off by themselves!
Good luck with your claim.

tightened the props by hand as usual. everything on the bird is OEM. this prop was one of the 8 that it came with

the bird flew fine for 45 seconds and then the prop flew off. I found the prop about 50 yards away from the bird on the other side of the house and upon inspection is when i saw the cracked threads.

I just bought 4 new DJI 9450 propellers on eBay for $5.58.
Be careful. There are a lot of knock-off props being sold by sellers outside of the US. A lot of those listings look legit to most people too.

Be careful. There are a lot of knock-off props being sold by sellers outside of the US. A lot of those listings look legit to most people too.
For five bucks I can find out. For the past five years I have been buying most of my stuff online from Asia. With a few exceptions, the stuff has been of very good quality.

Just to be certain, I will mark their source when I receive them. If something goes wrong, I'll know where the blades came from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan