Possible to use USB cable?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have the Phantom 3 4K. I noticed my controller has a USB cable and the drone shipped with one. I recently bought a new smartphone (Moto G4; comes with android 6.0.1 marshmallow) and it runs the app almost flawlessly. However, whenever I connect to a wifi network, my cellular data is no longer used by the os, even if the wifi has no network.

For this reason, I wish to know if I can connect my phone to the controller via USB cable, while the phone connects to 3g/4g for the maps.

Thanks for your help!

I wish to know if I can connect my phone to the controller via USB cable
That's not possible. You can only connect via Wi-Fi.

Reactions: Pharm
That's not possible. You can only connect via Wi-Fi.
I see. Well, does anyone know what I can do to fix this? I can't figure out how to cache maps, and I can't downgrade the phone to lollipop (worked fine on that OS version).

Appreciate everyone's help!

Your question then should be "How do I cache maps?"

Open the General Settings in DJI Go (by clicking the dots in the upper right corner). Scroll down to "Cache Map in the Background". Flip that on if it isn't already on. While your device (phone/tablet) is connected to wifi, go to the screen/satellite/map view that shows where you are. Scroll around to the area in which you'll be flying. Zoom in to the area and scroll around. Close DJI Go. Your map should now be cached.

Open the General Settings in DJI Go (by clicking the dots in the upper right corner). Scroll down to "Cache Map in the Background". Flip that on if it isn't already on. While your device (phone/tablet) is connected to wifi, go to the screen/satellite/map view that shows where you are. Scroll around to the area in which you'll be flying. Zoom in to the area and scroll around. Close DJI Go. Your map should now be cached.

I must have a different app because in DJI GO I can't find this setting. In fact, most of the settings are related to my account. Perhaps some screenshots would be helpful?

The "Cache Maps in the Background" setting (see the screenshot below) needs to be enabled in DJI GO. If that setting is not visible in DJI GO, then it's automatically enabled by default.

DJI-GO-Cache-Map-In-Background.jpg

Do the following to cache the maps in DJI GO:
  • Connect your mobile device to the Internet
  • Open DJI GO
  • Go to the flying location on the map
  • Zoom in to the desired zoom level
  • Scroll around on the map to load the map images in all areas where you want to fly
Here's an example showing someone caching maps in an old version of DJI GO (previously named "DJI Pilot"):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If using an Android device, the maps can also be permanently cached using the "Offline Map" feature. That feature can be found in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Offline-Map-Feature.jpg

Note: The Offline Map feature is not available in some versions of DJI GO (like DJI GO 4.1.18). If you're using a version of DJI GO that does not include the Offline Map feature, then install an older version of DJI GO (like DJI GO 4.1.15), cache the maps with the Offline Map feature, and then reinstall the newer version of DJI GO you were previously using. If you know you're using a version of DJI GO that includes this feature and it's not displaying in the menu shown in the above screenshot, then try restarting DJI GO.

Last edited:
But how do I get to that map view without connecting to the drone (which has to be connected via wifi, and then I can't download the maps)?

You can cache the maps in DJI GO without being connected to your drone. In fact, you don't even need to have your drone or remote controller powered on.

You can cache the maps in DJI GO without being connected to your drone. In fact, you don't even need to have your drone or remote controller powered on.
I've explored several options yet I cannot find how to access the map view you speak of (or the one in the video) without being connected to my drone. Should I connect to my drone, go into map view and then disconnect the drone?

Simply open the app on your phone while you're connected to internet (make sure your phone GPS is on) and the local map will load onto your app. When you then connect to the phantom you'll have maps (assuming you're in the same spot).

Clearly, everyone here is assuming something that I am unaware of. I open the app, and if I am not connected to my drone, the only options available do not lead me to a map view. Opening the app doesn't take me to a map.

After opening DJI GO when disconnected from your Phantom, do you see the "Camera" button below the photo of the P3S? If not, what do you see?

msinger is right - you need to go into camera view - which will be black (as the phantom is not connected) but it should show you the local map.When that happens the local map is downloaded to your phone and should be available when you connect to the phantom.

The "Cache Maps in the Background" setting only exists on Apple devices. Android devices will cache the map data automatically.

View attachment 69755

Do the following to cache the maps in DJI GO:
  • Connect your mobile device to the Internet
  • Open DJI GO
  • Go to the flying location on the map
  • Zoom in to the desired zoom level
  • Scroll around on the map to load the map images in all areas where you want to fly
Here's an example showing someone caching maps in an old version of DJI GO (previously named "DJI Pilot"):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I learn something new every day.

Reactions: eeire54

If I'm not mistaken that option is only on the IOS version, not on Android. With Android I think it just works when you have a wifi internet connection.

After opening DJI GO when disconnected from your Phantom, do you see the "Camera" button below the photo of the P3S? If not, what do you see?

They all say "How to connect" versus "Camera". However, I was able to get it to work with the Inspire Raw. The satellite imagery isn't caching though, only the roads are.

Thank you everyone for your help and warm welcome!

They all say "How to connect" versus "Camera". However, I was able to get it to work with the Inspire Raw. The satellite imagery isn't caching though, only the roads are.

Thank you everyone for your help and warm welcome!
You need to change the layer setting, it's right there on the map like any other map app.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31