Possible to use USB cable?

Are you leaving your device turned on when going out in the field?

I have an iOS device and use Apple Maps to cache. Easier than DJI app to go to remote locations. Unless there's some other way to get to a location without swiping to it.

You can cache the maps in DJI GO without being connected to your drone. In fact, you don't even need to have your drone or remote controller powered on.

Hi,

It seems like DJI using Here maps now. It would be nice if DJI Go app could use "Here" downloaded maps directly from Here app folder (If Here We Go is installed already).
It could be simplest solution. Here We Go is free and you can easily download maps by regions here.
I hope DJI developers are able to create this kind of solution for us.

Kind Regards

I solved a similar issue with wanting to use a wifi only iPad. I purchased a Garmin Glo Bluetooth receiver that works flawlessly for maps. Many more satellites and much more accurate than cell phone GPS. Accuracy around 1-2 meters vs 10. I don't have to cache maps any more.

The "Cache Maps in the Background" setting only exists on Apple devices. Android devices will cache the map data automatically.

View attachment 69755

Do the following to cache the maps in DJI GO:
  • Connect your mobile device to the Internet
  • Open DJI GO
  • Go to the flying location on the map
  • Zoom in to the desired zoom level
  • Scroll around on the map to load the map images in all areas where you want to fly
Here's an example showing someone caching maps in an old version of DJI GO (previously named "DJI Pilot"):

This is good advice.

Caching satellite view won't work for me as I have to reboot my tablet to get it to connect to the RC. Once you power off, cached satellite map data is gone.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Caching satellite view won't work for me as I have to reboot my tablet to get it to connect to the RC. Once you power off, cached satellite map data is gone.

Why do you need to reboot your tablet? Shouldn't you just need to switch wifi SSID's.

P3A/P don't connect to the RC by Wi-Fi, they connect by USB. Unless I reboot the tablet, the app does not acknowledge the RC is on and physically connected to the tablet.

... And since I have to reboot my tablet to connect to the RC, I lose the cached map data.
I can use any open WiFi that might be available but usually in the field that isn't available. I can use my phone's hot-spot but I run the risk of using up my 4G allocation of data. Granted the overuse was probably OneDrive syncing cached video so I turned that off until I am home.

P3A/P don't connect to the RC by Wi-Fi, they connect by USB. Unless I reboot the tablet, the app does not acknowledge the RC is on and physically connected to the tablet.

Since this is a P3S forum thread I assume that's what you had. If I ever upgrade to the Advance I'm going to need to relearn everything and all my assumptions will be different.

... And since I have to reboot my tablet to connect to the RC, I lose the cached map data.
I can use any open WiFi that might be available but usually in the field that isn't available. I can use my phone's hot-spot but I run the risk of using up my 4G allocation of data. Granted the overuse was probably OneDrive syncing cached video so I turned that off until I am home.

The maps themselves would not use that much data on your cell service, but correct once you turn on a hotspot your phone is open to downloading whatever another app maybe requesting in the background.

I solved a similar issue with wanting to use a wifi only iPad. I purchased a Garmin Glo Bluetooth receiver that works flawlessly for maps. Many more satellites and much more accurate than cell phone GPS. Accuracy around 1-2 meters vs 10. I don't have to cache maps any more.
Where are the map images coming from then? The Glo generates images?

Prior to 3.1 it was Google, now it is Here.

Thanks but I'm still confused by the commentor who said he no longer has to cache maps now that he got a blue tooth GPS on his wifi only tablet. If connected to the quad, where do new images get generated in the tablet unless they were cached already. Placing a gps on a tablet is great but it doesn't generated maps, one would still need a wifi connection to the internet.

Thanks but I'm still confused by the commentor who said he no longer has to cache maps now that he got a blue tooth GPS on his wifi only tablet. If connected to the quad, where do new images get generated in the tablet unless they were cached already. Placing a gps on a tablet is great but it doesn't generated maps, one would still need a wifi connection to the internet.
That guys post was referring to this product, but I'm with you on it not being helpful. It's just a GPS receiver, don't think it has any map data.
Amazon.com: Garmin GLO Portable GPS and GLONASS Receiver with Vehicle Power Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories

Reactions: Vega
They all say "How to connect" versus "Camera". However, I was able to get it to work with the Inspire Raw. The satellite imagery isn't caching though, only the roads are.

Thank you everyone for your help and warm welcome!
Sorry to continue this one...... i have trouble understanding the caching maps too! As above, I can get it all to work using the Inspire Raw..................many thanks. When I scroll around the map area to put the maps on the app, I'm on Google maps........................ why then does it say "Here" maps on the bottom on the DjiGo map?........... I thought they were different?

Sorry to continue this one...... i have trouble understanding the caching maps too! As above, I can get it all to work using the Inspire Raw..................many thanks. When I scroll around the map area to put the maps on the app, I'm on Google maps........................ why then does it say "Here" maps on the bottom on the DjiGo map?........... I thought they were different?
You have to cache maps using the Go app not a Google app. Works for me every time on home WiFi and I don't have to go to the Inspire icon either, go right to the Phantom icon by just swiping left till it's there to select.

You have to cache maps using the Go app not a Google app. Works for me every time on home WiFi and I don't have to go to the Inspire icon either, go right to the Phantom icon by just swiping left till it's there to select.

Many thanks...... that's why things weren't working! Still have to go in through the Inspire icon though for some strange reason...... the Phantom icon isn't dark and tapping it won't go into the app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20