Phantom 4 - Litchi - Return to Home

Reaction score
Today I was using the latest iOS Litchi app with my Phantom 4. I had the drone run a pre-planned mission with about 20 waypoints. It got almost half way through and then it just stopped, turned, and flew directly back home. The status bar at the top on the Litch app turned from green to blue and said "GOING HOME , Tap to Cancel". I'm really confused as to why it did this since the battery wasn't that low yet. It returned with 54% battery. In DJI Go I have the warning set to 30% and the critical level set to 10%. Does anyone know what could cause this and how do I fix it? Thanks!

I'm really confused as to why it did this since the battery wasn't that low yet. It returned with 54% battery. In DJI Go I have the warning set to 30% and the critical level set to 10%. Does anyone know what could cause this and how do I fix it? Thanks!
When the "Smart Return-to-Home" setting is enabled, your Phantom will automatically initiate RTH when it calculates it only has enough battery power left to make it back to the home point. The critically low battery warning and low battery warning settings have no effect on this feature.

DJI-GO-Smart-Return-to-Home-DJIGO4.jpg

Interesting! I don't trust DJI GO any longer so I fly Litchi. Does this "smart RTH" work in Litchi?
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed responses! I'm guessing there is no way to tweak this RTH battery calculation without turning it off entirely? I obviously like that feature for safety, but it would be nice if it didn't return with 54% battery. If this feature has to be triggered I would expect maybe to see it back with 20%, that would be more reasonable.

I'm guessing there is no way to tweak this RTH battery calculation without turning it off entirely?
Right -- there is no way to adjust it via DJI GO.

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed responses! I'm guessing there is no way to tweak this RTH battery calculation without turning it off entirely? I obviously like that feature for safety, but it would be nice if it didn't return with 54% battery. If this feature has to be triggered I would expect maybe to see it back with 20%, that would be more reasonable.
It is probably looking at amps too. Just because you have 54% battery does not mean you have enough to get back. If your amps (mAH) is low or you have one cell that's lower than the other 3, you may need all 54% to get back.

It is probably looking at amps too. Just because you have 54% battery does not mean you have enough to get back. If your amps (mAH) is low or you have one cell that's lower than the other 3, you may need all 54% to get back.
It is most likely DJI has set what they see to be a comfortable %. Mah is only one component. The Texas Instruments SOC reports remaining capacity and remaining time to empty in real time based on continuous measurements feeding their algorithms. Actual loading (instantaneous and over time), IR, temp, remaining capacity etc are all considered.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl