Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal

One thing I've found after talking to a more experienced pilot is that the antennas on the phantom go down the legs. This means they are vertical - so is your transmitter. The radiation/reception pattern for these antennas is a donut with the hole being centered on the antenna. So straight up and straight down don't get much signal.

Get it at a distance in front of you (or even behind you) and you should see better results.

I've also found that there are some rotations of the craft where signal can be lost. Keep turning, just a little bit and signal pops right back.

A lot of my testing so far as been signal and rth testing so I have confidence when I start to stretch the range.

Yes my Horzontal distance is much better than Vertical. You can test your distance by putting it on a wooden stool or something that wouldn't have magnetic properties and staying in line of sight without starting motors. I have turned the remote and its antenna different positions and block signals with foil or with my hand also at the aircraft. My results where the signal can go to full to none with out moving anything with partial blockages. I blocked transmitter with foil and signal would be good until I blocked the tip 1/2". My thought was if block the bottom part of the remote and I didn't loose signal the antenna was working.

There was a fault in the TX for the drone as we were flying out in our parkland far far from any housebound interference ... and all LOS - the R/C antennas on the replacement drone are just the same and we now have a 500m full range horizontal and we limit our height to 120m here in the good all UK :), which ever way its turned :) so no problems now :)

Hi all, newbie here so be gentle. :)
On that note, I have a new P3S that's 4 days old. I have 6 flights on it, but the range seems to be pretty short.
I am familiar with quads as I have a Blade Chroma Also, but after learning the flight charactersistics of the P3S, I maxed out the height limit to 500M and wanted to test it.
Straight up, it gets to about 800feet (230M or so) and then I lose signal. Video is still ok though.
I have to actually aim the controller straight up at the P3S to get signal back. It goes 100% then.
I can go as high as 1300Feet or so (about 300M) then it loses signal for good.

Same for horizontal flight.
I go up 200 feet (65M) and when I get to about 900-1000feet (300M or so) I always lose signal and RTH comes on. Sometimes I can aim the controlelr directly at it and get it back, but I am pretty disappointed by the distance. FAR cry from the 'up to 0.62M' advertised . 1/2 that on a GOOD day.

I flew it in an open field horizontally and at my house. When there are trees around, I get about 4-500feet (150M) then I lose signal to video and control.

I know it doesn't have lightbridge, but this is making me think about returning the whole darn thing.

Does sound a little short but better than we had at 30-40m max... the RC on the P3S uses 5.8gHz which is more LOS than 2.4gHz that the Video TX uses so trees and other obsticles will make it worse...I would consider returning.

... the RC on the P3S uses 5.8gHz which is more LOS than 2.4gHz that the Video TX uses so trees and other obsticles will make it worse.
Actually, water molecules (tree leaves and atmosphere) absorb 2.4ghz more than 5.8ghz. (but then the tree leaf size and shape come in to play which can affect both; pine tree needles being a potential nemesis for both radio bands.)

It's a mixed bag as to which radio band (2.4 or 5.8) used for RC (narrower bandwidth) can go further or in and around objects. Video transmissions (wider bandwidth) are another story.
-----------------------

Anton ward and SimonH78 (both from UK using less 5.8ghz TX power) reported their replacement P3S machines worked a lot better.

Question: Did DJI hint at what the actual problem was? In the drone or in the controller ??

I sure hope DJI gets a handle on the reported 5.8ghz control signal problem before the Christmas holiday season.

happytreefriends: First of all, Stop being a dckhead and act like an adult.
If you can NOT properly respond in a public forum then just move on.

You got it, happytreefriends. You bite the hand that feeds you, you don't get fed any more.
No more donating in exchange for criticism. Outtahere..

If you were looking for pics, parts lists, instructions, and help... ask happytreefriends. He made me decide to pack it up and leave. I don't do this to be flamed.

Last edited:
Well. Oddity today. It was a beautiful sunset, so I ran downstairs and fired up the P3S.
Lied down looking up and just started heading straight up looking at the drone.

Before I knew it, the altitude showed 1839ft, which is actually higher than the 500M height limit set by the DJI Go software. Weird.
The video was smooth moving around, and only got the weak signal message once but I adjusted the antenna to aim more at the Drone and it kept going..
Not sure why, but I think I could have gone higher. So looks like if the controller is aimed directly at the drone with no obstructions, it can go far as heck.

Took a quick snapshot.
I'd hoped the camera would be better quality though. Low light seems very grainy. :-(

I will try a windsurfer antenna and try to find a hill top to try the horizontal max distance with no trees in the way next.

Attachments

• sunset1.jpg
    sunset1.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 514
Wow I didn't know you could get around the limit, I figured it would just set back to your area. Isn't that how the Phantom 2 worked? Didn't get more than 250' anyways on my P3s. Sounds like yours is working pretty good after all. Yep grainy on sunsets.
DJI_0003.JPG

Last edited:

You got it, happytreefriends. You bite the hand that feeds you, you don't get fed any more.

If you were looking for pics, parts lists, instructions, and help... ask happytreefriends. He made me decide to pack it up and leave. I don't do this to be flamed.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod

Last edited:
Dude... reading comprehension counts. The USA version P3S is normally limited to 400 FEET in vertical height by software. You're getting 800-1300 feet and complaining? You have much better than OEM specs.

This bird is performing beyond DJI advertised parameters. The seller hasn't reneged on any advertised capability here. It's not DJI's fault you are expecting 400M when they advertise 400FT vertical height. (BTW, 1300FT is 396M)

There's no reason for the seller to take back that bird. If you wanted P3A or P3P performance, you should have bought the P3A. If you've got the distance bug, fine, but DJI did not fail you by delivering the bird you ordered and paid for.

[EDITED]I was stating an observation that happened with my phantom.

Second, the DJI Phantom is NOT limited to 400feet in the USA. WTH are you smoking!?!!?
Even brand new it was set to a 200M vertical limit, which can be changed on the DJI Go app in a second when you switch flight modes.

The 400feet limit is a 'recommendation' set by the FAA and pushed by the AMA. It is however not even fully law yet as they are still working on approving the current FAA Drone guidelines.

My original complaint was that it is advertised as 0.62M range and my first flight was 1/3 of that.
I understand how TX ad RX techs work so I lied down to get a better eye on the drone and better directional signal to it. Without doing it that way, the range is much less on my P3S at least.

I am following your posts regarding the RC mod and new antennas, but act like an adult and stop being so rash to people stating facts, or just don't post anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I didn't know you could get around the limit, I figured it would just set back to your area. Isn't that how the Phantom 2 worked? Didn't get more than 250' anyways on my P3s. Sounds like yours is working pretty good after all. Yep grainy on sunsets.
View attachment 31715

The limit is 500M in vertical limit that you can set in the DJI Go app. Switch P1 to Attitude mode and you can adjust the height and distance max settings. Mine had a default setting of 200M and horizontal distance was not set (OFF).

First of all, Stop being a dickhead and act like an adult.
If you can NOT properly respond in a public forum then just move on. I was stating an observation that happened with my phantom.

Aaaaand I'm done. Karma has been repaid. No longer suffering fools.
HappyTreeFiend, your wish is granted.

I'm outta here. The giving's not worth the insulting. Oh, and you can explain why all the content I'm removing before I leave (what? You thought I'd leave that to help you? Son, you just bit off the hand that was feeding you. Aw, heck no.)

I am following your posts regarding the RC mod and new antennas, but act like an adult and stop being so rash to people stating facts, or just don't post anything.

Sorry folks. If you were looking for pictures, parts in process info on P3S pigtail mods from me, I have removed them at the request of happytreefriends. He is responsible for his actions, my departure, and the removal of information originally intended to help. If you have any questions about modding your P3S, please see happytreefriends.

I'm done. Outta here. The effort to share and encourage thought isn't worth the hassles and name calling.

Reactions: N017RW
Aaaaand I'm done. Karma has been repaid. No longer suffering fools.
HappyTreeFiend, your wish is granted.

I'm outta here. The giving's not worth the insulting. Oh, and you can explain why all the content I'm removing before I leave (what? You thought I'd leave that to help you? Son, you just bit off the hand that was feeding you. Aw, heck no.)

Sorry folks. If you were looking for pictures, parts in process info on P3S pigtail mods from me, I have removed them at the request of happytreefriends. He is responsible for his actions, my departure, and the removal of information originally intended to help. If you have any questions about modding your P3S, please see happytreefriends.

I'm done. Outta here. The effort to share and encourage thought isn't worth the hassles and name calling.

Sorry to see ya go bro.

I understand the frustration but it's just a slice of human nature manifesting itself here.

Usually the real male genitalia craniums go away in time.

There is an ignore feature here too!
I have only used on two so far and they have not been around here in a loooong time.

Take a break, lurk, and when the waters calm come back and say hey.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj