Phantom 3 + Samsung Gear VR

Can I use Gear VR to FPV with the P3?

• Total voters
Litchi help site says:

• Gear VR (for Samsung supported devices only, may require drilling a hole or removing the USB port to bypass the Oculus app)

Hey guys,

the thing is that when you set up the phone on the gear VR it plugs in so there you can't plug in the RC to your phone and put in the gear VR as there isn't enough space.. (I guess the mod is the drilling on the other side to be able to connect it and still hold it)

Litchi help site says:

• Gear VR (for Samsung supported devices only, may require drilling a hole or removing the USB port to bypass the Oculus app)

Doesn't explain where to drill a whole or what usb port to remove, like how do you remove the USB port on the gear VR?

as far as the gear VR USB plug it's only for charging, no data transfer from there

Doesn't explain where to drill a whole or what usb port to remove, like how do you remove the USB port on the gear VR?

as far as the gear VR USB plug it's only for charging, no data transfer from there
I understand that one needs to drill a hole to connect USB cable from RC directly onto the device.

I understand that one needs to drill a hole to connect USB cable from RC directly onto the device.

Exactly, I understand that theres a drill hole needed, thing is why is that drill hole needed and what USB cable connected where? =S

I might be too stupid haha but I dont want to think that..

I want to believe the drill hole has to be on the otherside of the gear VR for the phone to go on the otherside and dont have issues.
like a slight cut for it the USB cable to fit without any issues and still hold the phone. dont know if im getting specific or not.. I will upload some pictures and probably a guide if I can figure it out whats up

In short, Gear is not designed for tethered streaming as that's what needed for P3.

Correct,
the gear VR is practically for Samsung technology to play in Virtual Reality.
these happened to be slight modification (hardware) TO the gear VR and with the App litchi to do be able to fly with the gear VR.
I know how to stop the occulus app from opening itself, but I'm still in the issue on how to put the phone directly to the gear VR and connect it to the RC so I can go ahead and start litchi and fly away !

The innovator edition comes with a usb port on the bottom. I tried an OTG cable with a mouse on it and it worked.. i was able to see a mouse pointer inside the oculus app while wearing the headset, move it arround and mouse buttons actually worked as forward and back.. maybe there is a way to let the vr tether the incoming RC data stream to the phone

I have the phantom 3 standard and the galaxy gear vr, i have it working with head tracking and no wires.
i installed the litchi app and connected my ph3, then placed it into fpv mode and when placing into the vr put it the way it supposed to go but dont push it into the charging and data bit. lift that up and slide the phone underneath it i did it with my galaxy s7 edge.

You have the advantage of the WiFi link to the Standard meaning no need to connect the phone to the remote. Should work great. So what's it like with the S7 edge? Also what Vr Gear goggles do you have? I think there's a few different sets but unsure if they all fit the S7 edge.

I think there the ones that was released whe s6 was compatable with note 5 and s7. ive not actually flown with them yet only installed today

Well thats me got hold of the Vr Gear. Can't see any way of getting them to work without damaging them. I wonder if samsung will ever do anything to let the port on the bottom of them transfer data. If they did that they would work perfect with lichi. Might just have to send them back.

Anyone recommend anything that will take the Samsung S7 Edge and work with the P3P?

Well thats me got hold of the Vr Gear. Can't see any way of getting them to work without damaging them. I wonder if samsung will ever do anything to let the port on the bottom of them transfer data. If they did that they would work perfect with lichi. Might just have to send them back.

Anyone recommend anything that will take the Samsung S7 Edge and work with the P3P?

Ive listed a few links to VR Headsets for FPV here most will work with larger phones
These are good - Freefly / Homido / VR Box / Zeiss VR
Thread - VR Headsets & Apps for FPV - DJI P3 / P4 / Inspire / M100 / M600 (A3)

Last edited:
I got mine to work with some easy Dremel holes. Rubber red cap to protect charge port from damage. (fits like a glove)
M VR Gear still works as it should just remove cap and insert phone to other side.
I have a DJI- P3. Pro
Samsung S7 Android.
The app I use is Litchi.
Crystal Clear.
I have uploaded pics to help.
If a plumber can do it, anyone can.
DJI Go app should have a FPV function
On day fingers crossed.

Hope this helps Guys fly safe.

Attachments

• 1462081828757.jpg
    1462081828757.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,867
  • 1462081841615.jpg
    1462081841615.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,783
  • 1462081862099.jpg
    1462081862099.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,015
  • 1462081879608.jpg
    1462081879608.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 2,195
Last edited:
Reactions: MedinaTaylor
I got mine to work with some easy Dremel holes. Rubber red cap to protect charge port from damage. (fits like a glove)
M VR Gear still works as it should just remove cap and insert phone to other side.
I have a DJI- P3. Pro
Samsung S7 Android.
The app I use is Litchi.
Crystal Clear.
I have uploaded pics to help.
If a plumber can do it, anyone can.
DJI Go app should have a FPV function
On day fingers crossed.

Hope this helps Guys fly safe.

What is the stream resolution on P3 ? 720p ? on P2V and maybe P2V+ we only get 640x480 15-30 fps I've flown a bit today and it looks ok but still a bit low res. (don't believe the res can be upped anymore).

Thanks.

That is why I've modified a cheap VR viewer for 2D viewing of the single screen. I get the regular full screen with all the telemetry but the field of view is incredible and it's still in 720p. I am using a I am using a HooToo VR viewer with reading glass lenses in it and a Samsung Note 5.

That is why I've modified a cheap VR viewer for 2D viewing of the single screen. I get the regular full screen with all the telemetry but the field of view is incredible and it's still in 720p. I am using a I am using a HooToo VR viewer with reading glass lenses in it and a Samsung Note 5.

What lens did you use ? where did you buy it ? :)

Reactions: ScottLB
I use.
Samsung S7 standard.
1440 x 2560 pixels (~534 ppi pixel density) mine is the standard S7 not edge apparently the S7 edge pixels can bleed a bit due to the curve in the screen.

My P3P is 4K but technically i would 1080p to be sure to be sure.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj