Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.6.0040

Just updated latest firmware on P3 and all Batts. Recalibrated the IMU, Compass and Controller before the first test flight.

Zero issues updating.
Depleted one full battery testing new firmware in the back yard at low altitude.
Zero issues inflight.
No real noticeable speed decrease as stated in the update notes.
Flew two more long flights with no issues. (both appox 3400 ft. distance from home)
Transmission signal to iPad Mini 2 was absolutely flawless for 3 full battery flights. Not a single drop out or glitch at anytime.

Now if they'd just up the bit rate of the camera from 60 to 100Mb/s to get rid of that god-awful constant 1 second strobing pulse shooting in bright light..... I'd be happy.

Just updated latest firmware on P3 and all Batts. Recalibrated the IMU, Compass and Controller before the first test flight.

Zero issues updating.
Depleted one full battery testing new firmware in the back yard at low altitude.
Zero issues inflight.
No real noticeable speed decrease as stated in the update notes.
Flew two more long flights with no issues. (both appox 3400 ft. distance from home)
Transmission signal to iPad Mini 2 was absolutely flawless for 3 full battery flights. Not a single drop out or glitch at anytime.

Now if they'd just up the bit rate of the camera from 60 to 100Mb/s to get rid of that god-awful constant 1 second strobing pulse shooting in bright light..... I'd be happy.
is there an update on the controler?

i updated mine and put up two flights everything was good.
i had to put the phantom in the fridge for about an hour to get it nice and cold.it was about 80 deg here today.
did the cold imu calabration and gimbal calabration and stick calabration too.
we will see what happens tomorrow

I have one battery I have been having problems with, DJI had me discharge it to under 5% and recharge. I had already updated my a/c but I will need to update this battery when it's charged. Do I need to put the .bin file back in the disk and load with the battery needing updating?

I have one battery I have been having problems with, DJI had me discharge it to under 5% and recharge. I had already updated my a/c but I will need to update this battery when it's charged. Do I need to put the .bin file back in the disk and load with the battery needing updating?

You need the .bin file to update... Have you been removing the .bin file? I just Leave the file on the cards.

I'm a couple go-app revs behind the current one and one rev behind on the rc. Can I do just this bird/battery update without doing the others? Anyone running ok in this same situation?

So has anyone noticed a decrease in speed or RC output power?

Merry Christmas! Hadn't flown in a while so I took the P3P out this afternoon after my family had started winding down after Christmas. When I fired it up I found out that the drone, battery, and RC needed updating. I decided to do all of it and didn't have any update problems. Flew two batteries worth afterwards and everything felt solid. Didn't notice any difference between the latest firmware and the last one I was on. YMMV but so far so good here.

So has anyone noticed a decrease in speed or RC output power?
Yes, definitely. It's about the same in horizontal speed, but it takes longer to get there. It's an acceleration decrease, not a top horizontal speed decrease. However in vertical ascent speed it went from 11mph to 5 or 6mph, definitely a reduction in performance. My tests today were in 55 degree sunny conditions.

This is highly noticeable when taking off full throttle up and full throttle forward, simultaneously. Like many of us that are very comfortable with our Phantom 3's we take off fast and forward, I do this about half the time after a quick 10-15sec hover to double check things and the test the craft behavior. Usually when taking off full throttle up and forward, the craft would fly out at about 35 degree angle (I'm estimating that). Now it takes off at about 15 or 20 degree angle with the same full up and forward. This is clearly DJI's way to limit the current draw from the battery that could potentially suck the voltage down below 3V, especially in cold weather conditions.

They apparently must avoid scenarios when the battery voltage goes below 3V. This indicates DJI has left in the default trigger for the battery to shut off if the battery gets below 3V, which IMHO is absurd while flying. I noticed there was no announcement that stated DJI removed the battery protection "feature". I'm curious why they believe they need this safeguard from potentially harming the battery? Warranty concerns? Maybe. So would DJI rather have the craft fall from the sky, potentially harming someone? That makes no sense.

Maybe they need the battery to shut off automatically in case you accidentally leave the battery on and store the craft overnight in the case, unknowingly draining the battery to zero. That could harm the battery obviously, if left on like that. So they put in this battery protection, overlooking the possibility it could make birds fall from the sky! The only problem is the battery intelligence is apparently not smart enough to determine if the battery is flying. If it did, it could have an override to NEVER SHUT OFF THE BATTERY if flying. Wouldn't that seems logical to minimize liability?

DJI reducing performance is a band-aid on this problem, they still haven't fixed the root problem correctly, IMHO. If they would create an "IF THIS, THEN THIS OCCURS" algorithm, it would seem more logical that "if flying" , "then" when the voltage creeps below 3V the controller would flash a RED WARNING signal over the video display saying "OVER DISCHARGE DANGER" and have an audible voice warranty saying "BATTERY LOW, RETURNING TO HOME", which of course could be over-ridden, but it would clue you in that the battery is in danger so you'll "lighten up on the throttle". I think that would be a much better way to solve the problem, versus shutting the battery off mid-flight.

Last edited:
Yes, definitely. It's about the same in horizontal speed, but it takes longer to get there. It's an acceleration decrease, not a top horizontal speed decrease. However in vertical ascent speed it went from 11mph to 5 or 6mph, definitely a reduction in performance. My tests today were in 55 degree sunny conditions.

This is highly noticeable when taking off full throttle up and full throttle forward, simultaneously. Like many of us that are very comfortable with our Phantom 3's we take off fast and forward, I do this about half the time after a quick 10-15sec hover to double check things and the test the craft behavior. Usually when taking off full throttle up and forward, the craft would fly out at about 35 degree angle (I'm estimating that). Now it takes off at about 15 or 20 degree angle with the same full up and forward. This is clearly DJI's way to limit the current draw from the battery that could potentially suck the voltage down below 3V, especially in cold weather conditions.

They apparently must avoid scenarios when the battery voltage goes below 3V. This indicates DJI has left in the default trigger for the battery to shut off if the battery gets below 3V, which IMHO is absurd while flying. I noticed there was no announcement that stated DJI removed the battery protection "feature". I'm curious why they believe they need this safeguard from potentially harming the battery? Warranty concerns? Maybe. So would DJI rather have the craft fall from the sky, potentially harming someone? That makes no sense.

Maybe they need the battery to shut off automatically in case you accidentally leave the battery on and store the craft overnight in the case, unknowingly draining the battery to zero. That could harm the battery obviously, if let on like that. So they put in this battery protection, overlooking the possibility it could make birds fall from the sky! The only problem is the battery intelligence is apparently not smart enough to determine if the battery is flying. If it did, it could have an override to NEVER SHUT OFF THE BATTERY if flying. Wouldn't that seems logical to minimize liability?

DJI reducing performance is a band-aid on this problem, they still haven't fixed the root problem correctly, IMHO. If they would create an "IF THIS, THEN THIS OCCURS" algorithm, it would seem more logical that "if flying" , "then" if the voltage creeps below 3V the controller would flash a RED WARNING signal over the video display saying "OVER DISCHARGE DANGER" and have an audible voice warranty saying "BATTERY LOW, RETURNING TO HOME", which of course could be over-ridden, but it would clue you in that the battery is in danger so you'll "lighten up on the throttle". I would think this solution would a much better way to solve the problem, versus shutting the battery off mid-flight.
So tell me the truth are you suggest to upgrade to the latest firmware or not?

Great! My city has a No-Drone law. I can only fly a drone in my yard as long as it's not capable of 'surveillance'. Meaning, legally I cannot fly a P3P with camera at all in my town (yard or not).
seriously? where do you live that sounds a bit unfair to me

So tell me the truth are you suggest to upgrade to the latest firmware or not?

It really depends on your situation. If it's cold where you live (below freezing when you fly), then YES, get the update. The risk of over current draw is higher in cold climates, potentially causing the voltage to dip below 3V on one of the cells, which will trigger the battery to SHUT OFF using the old F/W. This is a real liability in the previous f/w revs if you're in cold climates. You'll just have to live with the reduced performance for now, maybe forever with the P3. But if you live in warmer climates, and enjoy fast acceleration, then you may want to wait, assuming you're OK with the drift in 1.4 (I lived with it for months, it wasn't that big of a deal) then stick with 1.4. Or if you're OK with potential vibration issue in 1.5, you might want to stick with that, preferably in warmer climates that are above 45F.

I upgraded because I got a new Ipad Air2 with IOS9.1 for Christmas. My former iPad Mini2 IOS was 8.4 running an old app and older 1.4 firmware. Since I had to load a new APP onto the new iPad Air2, I wasn't sure about compatibility with my old 1.4 firmware, so I opted to upgrade everything to the current version. I'm OK with it, I'm just really disappointed. It's like buying a Corvette with a supercharger and having a fun time driving it for 6 months, and then the authorities say sorry bud, no super chargers allowed in this country. What a letdown. You may ask, do I need a supercharger? Maybe not, I'm not sure yet, but I PAID FOR IT! And now it's gone.

Fortunately I didn't see a vibration issue in my craft after the upgrade. That's what I worried about most when deciding to upgrade, but it didn't appear in two batteries of flight. Now I've got a sluggish Phantom 3P, however it's way cool and far ahead of the competition. Yes, I'm still in love with this bird, and my new Ipad Air2 is the bees knees, pretty nice.

I might go back to 1.5 just to see how I like it. I never tried it before, but I'm in So. Calif, warmer climates, I should be OK.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT