P4PV2 - Buy or Wait?

RRL

Reaction score
Hello guys, I’m new in this group and I would like to know your thoughts about this model!

Is it worth the investment!? Better to wait new version?!

Of course, answers can be related to what I’m looking for and what I want to have on the drone.

Then, yes I’m looking for the next level as previous experiences came with smaller drones with poor options and cameras.

Hope we can have a nice discussion and hear your opinions.

Cheers!

I would like to know your thoughts about this model!
It's currently the latest and greatest Phantom model.

Better to wait new version?!
There's no telling when a new version will be announced. Judging by the latest leaked photos we're seeing from DJI, it looks like they are getting ready to release a new Mavic model next. If that happens, we might not see a new Phantom model until next year.

Reactions: RRL
Personally I'm making do with a Mavic, as I've sold my Phantom 4, due to the smaller size. I'd love a phantom 5 but the ideal drone would be a new mavic with the same (or better) camera than the phantom 4. The p4 video quality is excellent and I don't really require anything better (for now).

Reactions: TheKestrel and RRL
Personally I'm making do with a Mavic, as I've sold my Phantom 4, due to the smaller size. I'd love a phantom 5 but the ideal drone would be a new mavic with the same (or better) camera than the phantom 4. The p4 video quality is excellent and I don't really require anything better (for now).
I don't think you will see a 1" sensor in a Mavic yet but I could be wrong. As to the OP I have the new V2 an it isn't much better if at all then the P4P but if you don't even have that Msinger is right, why wait?

Hello guys, I’m new in this group and I would like to know your thoughts about this model!

Is it worth the investment!? Better to wait new version?!

Of course, answers can be related to what I’m looking for and what I want to have on the drone.

Then, yes I’m looking for the next level as previous experiences came with smaller drones with poor options and cameras.

Hope we can have a nice discussion and hear your opinions.

Cheers!
Since you're new, you should know that DJI is notorious for releasing products with bugs. Generally it takes them 2 to 4 months to work out all the bugs in the firmware. So if you do wait and buy a brand new release, expect some frustration for a while. Be patient and you'll likely end up with a good drone. You can watch this forum to get the latest status of any new release, confirming things are working correctly. Many of us are use to hiccups with DJI in the beginning and we are often their beta testers, it seems. So being a newbie, resist the urge to buy a new DJI product. Give it some time to bake a while before you drop a grand on a DJI drone. In the meantime, you can learn how to fly with other cheaper craft if you're new to the RC world.

Since you're new, you should know that DJI is notorious for releasing products with bugs. Generally it takes them 2 to 4 months to work out all the bugs in the firmware. So if you do wait and buy a brand new release, expect some frustration for a while. Be patient and you'll likely end up with a good drone. You can watch this forum to get the latest status of any new release, confirming things are working correctly. Many of us are use to hiccups with DJI in the beginning and we are often their beta testers, it seems. So being a newbie, resist the urge to buy a new DJI product. Give it some time to bake a while before you drop a grand on a DJI drone. In the meantime, you can learn how to fly with other cheaper craft if you're new to the RC world.

This is very true. Experienced it twice when I bought my first Mavic Pro and then recently when I purchased the P4PV2. Both units were sent back to DJI and replaced.

Tomorrow DJI will release a new product, and as msinger pointed out it's likely a new version of the Mavic Pro line. My advise would be inline with John Locke; don't get dazzled by DJI marketing, wait a few weeks and watch the public forms before making a decision.

Regarding the current line up; I'm very happy with the P4PV2. It's now a fully matured product (excluding the plus versions) and simply unbeatable by anything in its class (or below). Beside the obvious advantages (camera, dual band, selectable atti, battery endurance) one of the most overlooked aspects of the Phantom is it's power. Having flown everything in the DJI lineup from P4P down, the Karma and Typhoon H, I can honestly say the Phantom is a beast of a (gimbal-camera) quad that tops them all.

I would highly recommend if it's within your budget range, and size / portability wasn't a large deciding factor.

Last edited:
Thank you all guys for such advices and feedbacks in regarding of your experience. I will be in tune with the group and later on post my experiences as well.
Cheers.

What were the problems you faced in those?

The Mavic couldn't fly in a straight line at full power (bad ESC). TheP4PV2's gimbal failed during compass calibration. DJI customer service honored the return / exchange policy both times. Aside: I have nothing but good experience from their post-sale support; one of the reasons I wouldn't hesitate to purchase future products from them.

This was cancelled, no announcement tomorrow.

Yeah, just found out. Sucks I have nothing new to watch/read with my morning coffee but I'm also glad they're not rushing out this one. Seems to me like they're learning from past releases.

We've never seen this happen in the past, so it seems clear to me this is a major issue that IS NOT something that can be fixed in firmware over time, like DJI has released with no qualms in the past. I had speculated they have a serious hardware problem when this delay was announced. It's very unusual and embarrassing to announce such a delay, amidst the Anafi and Evo hoopla. This press speculation you shared supports the same belief, and I believe it's true. The clincher is DJI denies it with no rational explanation, just marketing gobbledygook, which confirms it's true (communist standard procedure, LOL) This means the delay could take months to resolve, unless it's something simple to fix. However, gimbals are certainly not simple, assuming the gimbal is the problem. Kudos to DJI for holding it back, like GoPro when something is clearly awry with hardware. They will simply charges us more to make up for their loss, because we LOVE giving DJI our money, right? I do anyway, the best drones around.

Last edited:
We've never seen this happen in the past, so it seems clear to me this is a major issue that IS NOT something that can be fixed in firmware over time, like DJI has released with no qualms in the past. I had speculated they have a serious hardware problem when this delay was announced. It's very unusual and embarrassing to announce such a delay, amidst the Anafi and Evo hoopla. This press speculation you shared supports the same belief, and I believe it's true. The clincher is DJI denies it with no rational explanation, just marketing gobbledygook, which confirms it's true (communist standard procedure, LOL) This means the delay could take months to resolve, unless it's something simple to fix. However, gimbals are certainly not simple, assuming the gimbal is the problem. Kudos to DJI for holding it back, like GoPro when something is clearly awry with hardware. They will simply charges us more to make up for their loss, because we LOVE giving DJI our money, right? I do anyway, the best drones around.
According to the source of that rumour, it's not true and the issue is about getting production capacity to deal with expected demand.

According to the source of that rumour, it's not true and the issue is about getting production capacity to deal with expected demand.
Yes, I'd like to believe that too, but that doesn't match their pattern of the Mavic Pro release. They announced way before they had the production to meet demand, months before, remember? They released anyway and shipped a few hundred so reports would be published, increasing demand to prevent customers from straying away to Karma. Here we have the same scenario, Anafi and Evo released, but DJI cancels? Hmm. I just don't buy their marketing spin, but that's me. However I will buy their drones! :p

Last edited:
Yes, I'd like to believe that too, but that doesn't match their pattern of the Mavic Pro release. They announced way before they had the production to meet demand, months before, remember? They released anyway and shipped a few hundred so reports would be published, increasing demand to prevent customers from straying away to Karma. Here we have the same scenario, Anafi and Evo released, but DJI cancels? Hmm. I just don't buy their marketing spin, but that's me. However I will buy their drones! :p
I see it as following on perfectly from the early Mavic experience.
DJI learned from the problems keeping up with the demand and don't want to repeat that.
They expected things would have been set for July 18 but a supplier let them down or something like that so they've delayed the launch.
In so doing they also avoid a situation like Autel's very botched launch of their latest drone which was announced six months before it was available.

You may be right. My cynical attitude is based on history, and DJI's aggressive approach in the past to squelch competition. I think of DJI as very aggressive at countering competition and any cost, based on history. This recent set of events doesn't add up to that notion if this is only a supplier problem. We'll have to wait and see, maybe we'll find out later. If it's a supplier issue this shouldn't take more than a month or two to resolve and reschedule. If it's a design issue it will be more like 3 to 5 months before they ship, maybe longer.

Last edited:
The only reason I'd think about upgrading from my P4P is because of the ocusync. I hardly ever use my goggles now because they fog up so bad here in Florida that that's not really a reason for me to upgrade.

Reactions: Ripper7620
Would hold off.... Unless of course you don't have an antique right now for filming.
Everyone wants a new set of golf clubs... Save your money!

Last edited:
DJI released v2 without a SDK ready which resulted in that all 3rd party applications (DroneDeploy, pix4d) stopped working. Made me lose lots of customers and money.
The SDK was released some two weeks ago, but still no solution available.

DJI released v2 without a SDK ready which resulted in that all 3rd party applications (DroneDeploy, pix4d) stopped working. Made me lose lots of customers and money.
The SDK was released some two weeks ago, but still no solution available.
Beta testers should get their drones for half price, right?

Reactions: KR W

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic