P4P just dropped from 90m - warranty claim?

DJI is obviously aware that there are bugs in their code that can result in a crash and destruction of the drone. It is why they have the 12-month replacement program in place. If their aircraft were reliable and had failure recovery code then they would not need the program, nor would their customers.

Reminds me of when in the 1980's Chrysler started offering warranties that were twice as long as their competitors. It was the only way they could get people to buy the very unreliable cars that the company was making. The top management decided it was more profitable to provide the longer warranty coverage than to improve the quality and reliability of the vehicles.

A 12 month warranty is normal industry practice. And DJI reliability is really quite good - certainly the number of losses that get posted about on this forum that turn out to be aircraft failures is very small.

DJI is obviously aware that there are bugs in their code that can result in a crash and destruction of the drone. It is why they have the 12-month replacement program in place. If their aircraft were reliable and had failure recovery code then they would not need the program, nor would their customers.

Reminds me of when in the 1980's Chrysler started offering warranties that were twice as long as their competitors. It was the only way they could get people to buy the very unreliable cars that the company was making. The top management decided it was more profitable to provide the longer warranty coverage than to improve the quality and reliability of the vehicles.
Well if they come down and hurt somebody, it won't go so well for them in the end.

Just an update - The flight logs revealed that it was a power failure at 90m - the flight simply stops mid-air... so this is a warranty issue of a faulty product, that I am pursuing. I will include here the battery was still intact upon retrieval of the bits 'n pieces so it wasn't a case of me simply not installing it properly.

BE AWARE ...As I bought the unit off an E-Bay seller in Hong Kong, DJI informed me their international warranty stipulates I could not claim on it unless the unit was posted to them from a China address.

I had to go back to who I bought it from to get them involved. They refused.

I insisted that they do as on their product listing for the P4P+ they make a lot of noise about their 1 year seller warranty on faulty products.

DJI Phantom 4 Pro+ Quadcopter | eBay

It was only when I made a claim through Paypal they are NOT providing the product as listed they reluctantly agreed to receive the bird and go through the warranty process (all the while begging me to cancel the Paypal claim which I have not done).

I sent the bird off to them by international express post yesterday ... with insurance .... costing me $125 AUD but worth it as I expect trouble from either the seller or DJI along the way.

I will keep you posted.

Reactions: 1abPilot
Just an update - The flight logs revealed that it was a power failure at 90m - the flight simply stops mid-air... so this is a warranty issue of a faulty product, that I am pursuing. I will include here the battery was still intact upon retrieval of the bits 'n pieces so it wasn't a case of me simply not installing it properly.

BE AWARE ...As I bought the unit off an E-Bay seller in Hong Kong, DJI informed me their international warranty stipulates I could not claim on it unless the unit was posted to them from a China address.

I had to go back to who I bought it from to get them involved. They refused.

I insisted that they do as on their product listing for the P4P+ they make a lot of noise about their 1 year seller warranty on faulty products.

DJI Phantom 4 Pro+ Quadcopter | eBay

It was only when I made a claim through Paypal they are NOT providing the product as listed they reluctantly agreed to receive the bird and go through the warranty process (all the while begging me to cancel the Paypal claim which I have not done).

I sent the bird off to them by international express post yesterday ... with insurance .... costing me $125 AUD but worth it as I expect trouble from either the seller or DJI along the way.

I will keep you posted.
Well sorry to hear about the amount of palaver you now have to go through. Hopefully you are still financially in front and not waiting to long. Had a look at the site you linked and there aren’t any reviews which makes me nervous but that’s a risk you take in the most expensive country in the world to buy a drone.....

As a new owner of a Phantom 4 pro, if it has been the experience of long time owners that the service DJI is really that bad, are there other shops which can do repairs? ( sorry about the run-on sentence) I would expect the answer is yes.

I am a pro-shooter on a research vessel. When my drone goes ( if it ever does) there will be no corpse to retrieve for it will have had a burial at sea. What evidence do you have to present in order to have a chance for a service-warranty solution?

I am a pro-shooter on a research vessel. When my drone goes ( if it ever does) there will be no corpse to retrieve for it will have had a burial at sea. What evidence do you have to present in order to have a chance for a service-warranty solution?
If you are exclusively using the DJI GO app and not a third party app (Litchi), you will stand a much better chance of disputing a warranty claim as the flight logs are contained within the app and can be interrogated by DJI.

Good to know the logs are contained within the controller and the app. There is absolutely no Sat connection out here ie no "Cloud". We do get good GPS but this being a steel ship ,the magnetic interference requires us to hand-launch. Recovery seems ok. The radar and other radios onboard doesn't seem to matter much. Thanks for your prompt reply.

As a new owner of a Phantom 4 pro, if it has been the experience of long time owners that the service DJI is really that bad, are there other shops which can do repairs? ( sorry about the run-on sentence) I would expect the answer is yes.
My experiences with DJI service has been good, reasonable turn around of 10 to 20 days. If it's in warranty there are only a few shops that can repair DJI drones for non warranty issues, like pilot error crash, and still maintain the original warranty. So be careful if you have non warranty work done while in warranty, make sure they are one of DJIs authorized repair stations. I think there's only about 6 in the US. However only DJI does warranty work for the US, in Cerritos California.

If your craft is outside the 1yr warranty, I would recommend Mike Holt for repairs, good guy, fair price, low overhead, in Northern California. Works from his home shop, has lots of parts, even the hard to find stuff.

Thank you kind sir. That is what I needed to know. Where I am going next, there will be no recovery possible. The bird will be gone and that will be that. The purchase is to be made with Best Buy and their coverage as well as DJI's Refresh. Although I am to go on this trip as a crew member, the use of the drone is on my own and my financial responsibility.
Thank you again. I plan to make sure I don't have to use the warranties

Yes about DJI Customer Service. I knew about them before I bought my P4 a year ago but I hoped I would not need them “if I was careful flying, etc.”. However my drone flipped over and powered into the ground from 200 feet due to “PILOT ERROR!” I tried for a month to get DJI to just tell me how and why this could have happened and they just refused! So, anyone is just asking for their passive wrath if they have to send their DJI drone to them!
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF.

Sorry to take so long to get around to this but life issues got in the way - I have finally uploaded the flight log of the flight this post was created about. You can see it here:

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

From what I can see the data simply stops 2 min 1s in to the flight - the time the drone simply dropped from the sky.

WARRANTY UPDATE

A quick update on the how the warranty issue is going... I was notified by the courier the bird arrived in China today and I was promptly advised by the the reseller, AC Electronic Limited they had received it and were forwarding it on to DJI so this is a good sign. I was so worried they would somehow say they never received it, or that the package was empty or something.

Will keep you posted...

Hi everyone, first poster here.

Just want to share a similar story.

In the beginning of October I was flying my Phantom 4 Advanced in the coast of Portugal, filming a bride and groom.

Battery was full, was flying for less than 5 minutes, weather was near perfect, very little wind even on the beach, no errors or warning signs on the GoApp.

Without a single warning the P4A falls from the sky, from a height of around 40 meters, into the ocean, 50 meters from shore.

I wasn't able to recover the P4A, but I was caching the video on my android phone, and has the flight records.

At first I thought it was a bird impact, but there are no birds in the footage, nor did I see any around the craft at the time of the accident.

I sent the video and requested DJI analyze the log, and they determined it was Aircraft failure and provided me with a 100% off coupon to buy another P4A from their store.

This was a fairly quick process, I was impressed, since I hear bad things about DJI support and on top of that I live in Portugal, where there's no official technical support. The accident happened on the October 5, I had a new Phantom on my hands on the 25th, shipped from the UK.

It doesn't end here.
The new battery that came with the P4A arrived completely dead, and would not charge.
Had to open another case with DJI, and eventually they arranged for UPS to pick up the battery from my home and ship it to technical support in the Netherlands.

So right now I have a new P4A replacement, and I'm waiting to hear from technical support about the battery.

Let's see how this goes...

Thanks for reading.

Hi everyone, first poster here.

Just want to share a similar story.

In the beginning of October I was flying my Phantom 4 Advanced in the coast of Portugal, filming a bride and groom.

Battery was full, was flying for less than 5 minutes, weather was near perfect, very little wind even on the beach, no errors or warning signs on the GoApp.

Without a single warning the P4A falls from the sky, from a height of around 40 meters, into the ocean, 50 meters from shore.

I wasn't able to recover the P4A, but I was caching the video on my android phone, and has the flight records.

At first I thought it was a bird impact, but there are no birds in the footage, nor did I see any around the craft at the time of the accident.

I sent the video and requested DJI analyze the log, and they determined it was Aircraft failure and provided me with a 100% off coupon to buy another P4A from their store.

This was a fairly quick process, I was impressed, since I hear bad things about DJI support and on top of that I live in Portugal, where there's no official technical support. The accident happened on the October 5, I had a new Phantom on my hands on the 25th, shipped from the UK.

It doesn't end here.
The new battery that came with the P4A arrived completely dead, and would not charge.
Had to open another case with DJI, and eventually they arranged for UPS to pick up the battery from my home and ship it to technical support in the Netherlands.

So right now I have a new P4A replacement, and I'm waiting to hear from technical support about the battery.

Let's see how this goes...

Thanks for reading.

Just a quick update, DJI contacted me and are honouring the warranty and providing free repairs for the battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171110-112508_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20171110-112508_1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: Neon Euc
Conor, that’s interesting. My P4 also inverted and powered into the ground. DJI refused to tell me why. However they sent me a new one after I paid the “repair” bill but it was not in flying condition.

FINAL UPDATE - WARRANTY CLAIM

HAPPY OUTCOME WITH DJI - NOT WITH THE EBAY SELLER

I just received my drone back - all fixed - it's like new again.

It is the original serial number

So with a little mucking around, I managed to have my P4P+ fixed under warranty. DJI were quick to act and repair then send back to the E-Bay seller I bought from.

LESSON LEARNT - buy from a local dealer, or DJI directly, otherwise you will have warranty issues... DJI's non-global warranty policy is they will only accept the drone for warranty evaluation / repairs if sent to them from the country of purchase.

They stated:

you purchased it from a dealer in China. Due to DJI's non-global warranty policy, you only can enjoy the warranty in China.

Under this situation, there are two methods:

1. To claim the warranty, you need to provide a Chinese address, you can send your drone from the Chinese address to DJI China repair center for a check and repair, you can enjoy the warranty there.

2. Because you located in Australia, you can ship your drone directly to DJI AU repair center for the repair, but you need to pay for the repair.

FINAL UPDATE - WARRANTY CLAIM

HAPPY OUTCOME WITH DJI - NOT WITH THE EBAY SELLER

I just received my drone back - all fixed - it's like new again.

It is the original serial number

So with a little mucking around, I managed to have my P4P+ fixed under warranty. DJI were quick to act and repair then send back to the E-Bay seller I bought from.

LESSON LEARNT - buy from a local dealer, or DJI directly, otherwise you will have warranty issues... DJI's non-global warranty policy is they will only accept the drone for warranty evaluation / repairs if sent to them from the country of purchase.

They stated:

you purchased it from a dealer in China. Due to DJI's non-global warranty policy, you only can enjoy the warranty in China.

Under this situation, there are two methods:

1. To claim the warranty, you need to provide a Chinese address, you can send your drone from the Chinese address to DJI China repair center for a check and repair, you can enjoy the warranty there.

2. Because you located in Australia, you can ship your drone directly to DJI AU repair center for the repair, but you need to pay for the repair.
Well that's a good result given the amount of leg work involved. Does beg the question where DJI is not able to provide a global solution when their products are purchased from authorised outlets regardless of where you purchased them from. We are much more mobile than ever before and an impulse or otherwise purchase overseas shouldn't deny you some sort of right of reply when things go wrong.
In your case buying from eBay and not an affiliated DJI reseller is going to be problematic, but when I bought my last Phantom in the Phillipines from an authorised DJI outlet, they mentioned that I would have to send it back to them for any warranty considerations. Knowing how the postal service works over there, that was never going to happen and in the end wasn't necessary.

Any chance you guys with the weird suicide Phantoms were running 602 firmware and not the older 509?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT