P4 controller will not fully charge.

Reaction score
Talked to dji about the failure to reach a full charge and they suggested that I buy a new controller; every dealer I have contacted said it had been discontinued. Drone less than 2 years old and dji has left me hanging out to dry. No more dji products for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you talked to DJI about sending your RC in for repair? I had the same problem and they sent me a label, I mailed it in and about two weeks later, I received another RC which works perfectly. Mine was still under warranty.

The P4 remote controller has been discontinued. If you're not able to get your remote controller repaired, here are a few options to replace it:
If you decide to buy a P4P remote controller, you'll need to configure the setting below in DJI GO before attempting to link the remote controller to your P4.

DJI-GO-Remote-Controller-Choose-Type-for-P4.jpg

Have you talked to DJI about sending your RC in for repair? I had the same problem and they sent me a label, I mailed it in and about two weeks later, I received another RC which works perfectly. Mine was still under warranty.
They no longer offer repairs or service for the P4. Mine is out of warranty.

The P4 remote controller has been discontinued. If you're not able to get your remote controller repaired, here are a few options to replace it:
If you decide to buy a P4P remote controller, you'll need to configure the setting below in DJI GO before attempting to link the remote controller to your P4.

View attachment 90779
Will have a look on eBay and then consider your recommendations for the P4P. Thanks

I would open it up and see if the batteries can be replaced with similar ones or just some that could be force fitted and made to work. Yeah, DJI is good at that. They care nothing about their customer base.
Jim
WA5TEF

Will have a look on eBay and then consider your recommendations for the P4P. Thanks
Don't by a used GL300C, it's weak controller anyway. Move up to an Inspire GL658A, or C controller. You'll get better range, it has a stronger control signal when linked to a P4 craft. You can find those on Ebay for under $200. Use a windsurfer and enjoy 3mi range. That's all I use with my P4, way better than using my GL300C stock controller. You'll also get the HDMI port with the GL658.

Last edited:

View attachment 90779
Mike, you're implying the P4P controller works with P4. I didn't think the GL300F with 5.8Ghz was compatible with P4. Am I wrong?

Mike, you're implying the P4P controller works with P4.
It does work. I own both the P4P and P4P+ remote controllers -- and have linked them to my P4.

I didn't think the GL300F with 5.8Ghz was compatible with P4. Am I wrong?
You're correct that 5.8Ghz cannot be used. However, the P4P remote controllers can operate on both 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz frequencies.

Reactions: F3honda4me
Check out the screenshot above from my P4P remote controller. You can see the Phantom models it's compatible with.

I’ve been chewing off ears at DJI and I’m out of warranty by 1.5 months and I was able to get in contact with the repair center directly and spoke to some one who said he would personally take care of my RC and let me know what’s the course of action. He said since I have flown less than 15 flights that he can play around with the exact warranty period. Hope this helps. When I get the info on my RC back I’ll try to get his direct contact for you guys!

Check out the screenshot above from my P4P remote controller. You can see the Phantom models it's compatible with.
Yeah, my older Go4 doesn't have those options in the app. That must have come out later, after May. I'm using old app and firmware so I can change parameters. I'm afraid if I use a new version app that my craft firmware won't be compatible with the old craft firmware, so I'm sticking with what I have for now. I'm spoiled with alternate parameters, opening up the door to freedoms.

So when a P4P remote is used with the P4, is the range improved over the terrible stock range of the stock P4 GL300C remote?

I had to do an RC mod to my P3P GL300A remote to get the advertised 4.3 mile range out of the P4. On the P4P, with its P4P remote using the 2.4Ghz band, the range is just as bad as it was with the GL300C and the P4.

The beauty of the P4P is the fantastic range delivered by the Auto 5.8Ghz setting in hightly urban areas out to 5+ miles with clear LOS!

Yeah, my older Go4 doesn't have those options in the app
Right -- you'll need to upgrade DJI GO in order to access that new setting.

So when a P4P remote is used with the P4, is the range improved over the terrible stock range of the stock P4 GL300C remote?
I'm not sure. I don't fly long distance flights.

I just read about a fix for P4 rc not fully charging on another forum. Here is what he did.
1. install DJI 3 Go App. keep P4 off
2. Turn on rc and app select P3 pro as aircraft using 3 dashes at top right of the app (press and hold 10 secs or so)
3. A new screen appears scroll down to your firmware and select "firmware refresh" wait for it to install then close the app and shut of the rc.
4.Reboot rc wait a few minutes and shut off rc again.
5.Open DJI GO 3 app, select P3 Pro and press camera (have cable connected).
6. Once in the main screen with telementry info wait a few minutes and press upper left area (next to the DJI logo saying "no xxxx connected), this will take you to aircraft setup screen. There you will see a warning message triangle, press this area and upgrade the firmware. (lots of beeps, blue lights and wait for upgrade success message).
7. Reboot the the rc and the same time close DJI Go 3 app.
8.Turn on P4 launch DJI Go 4 app and bang your good to go

Reactions: Droneted
I just read about a fix for P4 rc not fully charging on another forum. Here is what he did.
1. install DJI 3 Go App. keep P4 off
2. Turn on rc and app select P3 pro as aircraft using 3 dashes at top right of the app (press and hold 10 secs or so)
3. A new screen appears scroll down to your firmware and select "firmware refresh" wait for it to install then close the app and shut of the rc.
4.Reboot rc wait a few minutes and shut off rc again.
5.Open DJI GO 3 app, select P3 Pro and press camera (have cable connected).
6. Once in the main screen with telementry info wait a few minutes and press upper left area (next to the DJI logo saying "no xxxx connected), this will take you to aircraft setup screen. There you will see a warning message triangle, press this area and upgrade the firmware. (lots of beeps, blue lights and wait for upgrade success message).
7. Reboot the the rc and the same time close DJI Go 3 app.
8.Turn on P4 launch DJI Go 4 app and bang your good to go

Why would P3Pro firmware be the fix for P4?

As you know the remote control for the P3 and P4 are identical and updating with the P3 software first seems to fix the glitch with remote not fully charging.

How do I update to P3 software on my P4 controller. As you can tell I am not very computer smart so detailed instructions are useful.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie