Remote control not taking a charge

Reaction score
This isn't my first go around with this remote. A year ago I noticed my remote wasn't taking a charge past 2 (out of 4) lights. I contacted DJI about the controller (not covered by the extended care) and was advised to purchase a new one. Feeling a bit burned by DJI I read several forums about this issue and came to the conclusion that this was more than just a isolated problem. It seems that lots of people had contacted DJI about this with no resolve. There were several forums I had read about how to do the repair to the unit too. I contacted my computer guy to see if he could do the suggested repair that included using a hot air solder gun to re-establish the connections on the boards. It worked for the short term and my controller was taking full charges again. No problem. Well after about 5 charges to the unit I'm right back to the unit not taking charges. THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING! It seems that DJI should step up and take some responsibility with this. I'm looking for anybody who can give me a tip on what other fix this might need or a source for somebody who fixes these things. Many thanks in advance!

I have the same issue. I have taken apart my controller 4-5 times and heated the chip shown in the video,
The exact chip might not be in this video, it shows how to tear down the controller, but it is the first chip to the right of the 4 charging lights. I'm using a 1500W heat gun that reaches 400 degrees with an aluminum foil nozzle that I made. I've been hesitant to heat it for too long approx 2 minutes and I think that's why I've had to repeat the process. Others have said to wait for the solder to melt, I've worried about melting the chip. Anyway, the last time I tried it, I heated it a bit longer and I have 4 charging lights and the RC charges to 94% as shown in GO4. It still doesn't last more than 4 aircraft batteries, but gets me thru a day of shooting. If you have any normal home repair skills you can follow the video and do this yourself. Good luck

Reactions: Bobbio
I have the same issue. I have taken apart my controller 4-5 times and heated the chip shown in the video,
The exact chip might not be in this video, it shows how to tear down the controller, but it is the first chip to the right of the 4 charging lights. I'm using a 1500W heat gun that reaches 400 degrees with an aluminum foil nozzle that I made. I've been hesitant to heat it for too long approx 2 minutes and I think that's why I've had to repeat the process. Others have said to wait for the solder to melt, I've worried about melting the chip. Anyway, the last time I tried it, I heated it a bit longer and I have 4 charging lights and the RC charges to 94% as shown in GO4. It still doesn't last more than 4 aircraft batteries, but gets me thru a day of shooting. If you have any normal home repair skills you can follow the video and do this yourself. Good luck
Thanks for the response. I talked to a guy at DroneNerds and he said they can do the repair for $129. Seeing as how DJI has abandoned this issue AND discontinued this model any replacements for it, I'm thinking I should put this in the hands of somebody who claims to know how to fix it. The handful of replacements online for this remote are running as much as $600. It's total ********.

I sent mine back to DJI, tired of screwing with it. For $90 I got back a new remote. They said it was a battery issue, but I know the battery was good as I measured it with a volt/ohm meter

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj