P4 Compass Error

Reaction score
’m having a problem with my p4 where whenever I take off after about a minute of air time my drone takes itself out of gps mode. I have read multiple threads on both the DJI forum page and Phantom Pilots and no one has given an actual solution, people only say to recalibrate the compass and IMU in an area completely clear of magnetic interference. Obviously this hasn’t done jack, does anyone actually know what to do?

’m having a problem with my p4 where whenever I take off after about a minute of air time my drone takes itself out of gps mode. I have read multiple threads on both the DJI forum page and Phantom Pilots and no one has given an actual solution, people only say to recalibrate the compass and IMU in an area completely clear of magnetic interference. Obviously this hasn’t done jack, does anyone actually know what to do?
Is it just losing GPS or is there a compass error forcing the Phantom into atti mode?
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and we might be able to work out what's happening.

The take off was from concrete, It’s never been an issue before and I’ve never noticed any performance difference when taking off from grass.

The take off was from concrete, It’s never been an issue before and I’ve never noticed any performance difference when taking off from grass.
Launching from reinforced concrete is asking for trouble.
You may have avoided it previously because the mesh may have been deeper (further from your compass) but if you keep doing it, you will get the symptoms your flight data shows.
The results aren't always as harmless as you experienced.

Here's a post with a technical explanation of what causes this:
Looking for Trouble ??

Reactions: BudWalker
I just bought a P4 advanced plus. I consider myself an experienced pilot (have flown a lot with a P2). From the first flight with the P4 I got the "compass error. Exit GPS-mode" a few moments after takeoff, despite having 20 sattellites locked on. The message disappears after 10-15 seconds and the AC goes back to GPS-mode, then after a while I get the message again. The strange thing is I still have full control of the AC, it does not seem to enter ATTI-mode. It hovers perfectly, flies in straight lines, no toilet bowl syndrome. I know about power lines, not taking off from concrete and all that. Calibration OK.
I purchased the P4 from a large electronics warehouse, and I wonder if it may have been stored there close to some speakers for example, and the compass has been affected from the magnets.
I have now ordered a degaussing device, the cfixer, from Russia, to reset the compass to factory defaults. Hopefully it will fix the errors. The seller told me it certainly would fix it. We shall see.

I too am having constant compass error on my P4 and it also stating compass 1 is disconnected while compass 2 is connected. I did not fly it anywhere close to power lines of make contact with any magnets or have any crashes with the drone. I have tried calibrating the compass and IMU in an open area away from any metal and power lines. My take off points were from grassy areas. I uploaded some of my flight logs.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

After reading this thread, I went to see if I could find a map that shows areas of magnetic disturbance. With just a quick look, I didn't see any but this is happening to different folks in different areas, yet it doesn't seem to be widespread. Just wondering.

I too am having constant compass error on my P4 and it also stating compass 1 is disconnected while compass 2 is connected. I did not fly it anywhere close to power lines of make contact with any magnets or have any crashes with the drone. I have tried calibrating the compass and IMU in an open area away from any metal and power lines. My take off points were from grassy areas.
It looks like you have a bad connection or a bad GPS receiver.
This has nothing to do with powerlines or any magnetic interference.
Calibrating your compass and IMU won't do anything to fix it.

After reading this thread, I went to see if I could find a map that shows areas of magnetic disturbance. With just a quick look, I didn't see any but this is happening to different folks in different areas, yet it doesn't seem to be widespread. Just wondering.
Wonder no more.
Variations in the earth's magnetic field won't have any effect on your Phantom flying or your compass.

Reactions: flockshot
I contacted DJI support tonight and they said there is a definite problem after doing diagnostics with me. It is going to be sent to them for repair. Glad I purchased DJI Care.

Reactions: flockshot

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4