Mapping Problem with P4 Pro- Compass and GPS?

Reaction score
I have a Phantom P4 Pr (V1). I use drone deploy a lot. Flying Mapping missions, , I saw a "Compass Error" on the drone deploy screen. In Dji Go - prior to the mission I checked the compass and it reported Ok. I went into the compass setting and rechecks- (OK ) and performed a an IMU calibration. I went out and flew another mission. I did the coverage check in the dronebase app and the coverage a bt spotty. I flew the mission again with my mavic 2 pro and it was much better. Does this mean my compass board is suspect? Thanks for any help.

I have a Phantom P4 Pr (V1). I use drone deploy a lot. Flying Mapping missions, , I saw a "Compass Error" on the drone deploy screen. In Dji Go - prior to the mission I checked the compass and it reported Ok. I went into the compass setting and rechecks- (OK ) and performed a an IMU calibration. I went out and flew another mission. I did the coverage check in the dronebase app and the coverage a bt spotty. I flew the mission again with my mavic 2 pro and it was much better. Does this mean my compass board is suspect? Thanks for any help.
The usual cause of the message you saw is that there is some magnetic interference close to the drone before landing and the compass is warning you to switch off and move to a "clean" location.
It doesn't mean there is something wrong with the drone.
There's no need to recalibrate anything, especially the IMU as it has nothing to do with the compass.

Reactions: GFields
Just to clarify- if the compass error message happened while “flying mapping missions”, ground interference, shouldn’t be an issue. I was also having an occasional compass error message as well as losing gps signal message. Sent it to DJI for repair and they determined the compass issue was in the landing gear legs (bad chip? bad connection?), and gps issue was a combo of the bad antenna problem and the gps module occasionally acting up. It was getting worse over time. I sent it in instead of doing the repair myself, throwing money at it and guessing what was wrong.

I use Drone Deploy for mapping also. What is meant by “I did the coverage check in the dronebase app and the coverage a bt spotty.”? I assume your talking about a post flight picture coverage check, correct?

Last edited:
The first thing I would do before even posting is recalibrate the compass. If that doesn't help, it may be an antenna issue. I've heard of GPS puck antennas cracking. It happened to me once.

D

Probably pertinent to nothing, but I've had multiple P4P's report a GPS error during flight over many months of commercial use, but only when I'm moving at full speed to a new location. I suspect that the GPS just can't keep up. I slow down and the error message disappears. Always the same. Never happens at less than full throttle.

Probably pertinent to nothing, but I've had multiple P4P's report a GPS error during flight over many months of commercial use, but only when I'm moving at full speed to a new location. I suspect that the GPS just can't keep up. I slow down and the error message disappears. Always the same. Never happens at less than full throttle.
Curious... Is your full speed in P (35mph) or S mode ?

I personally never use sport mode after seeing the cracking issues. Just never in that much of a hurry or have the need.

I knew I had GPS issues as towards the end, before I sent it for repair. I got a couple error message during ascent and also a couple while in DDeploy mapping mode @11mph.

Reactions: Harleydude
Curious... Is your full speed in P (35mph) or S mode ?

I personally never use sport mode after seeing the cracking issues. Just never in that much of a hurry or have the need.

I knew I had GPS issues as towards the end, before I sent it for repair. I got a couple error message during ascent and also a couple while in DDeploy mapping mode @11mph.
The cracking issue?! Something I should be worried about?

GPS error report at higher speeds is all in P-mode. Usually happens when I'm recording a video and watching the image more than the data. I'll get a brief GPS error flag, glance at the telemetry and find I've heavy-fingered up to about 25 mph instead of the 17 or so that I'm trying to video at. I never have a need for S-mode, but if I keep it under 20mph or so in P-mode, I don't have the GPS warnings. I'm guessing that I have a GPS module getting old/weak/sketchy ( that last one is a technical term that not everyone may be familiar with).

I used to worry about it, but not so much anymore when I can avoid it by flying within my normal limits.

R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.