P3S's prop flies off mid flight

Have you ever had your Propeller/s come off mid flight with a P3?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 47 92.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Anyone ever have this happen to them?

My very first flight out of the box, about a minute into it. had it in A-Mode and was headed back to me 6 feet up. Next thing I know it flips and flies straight into the ground for a hard landing(not even a scratch)

Second time happened to today. This time I did auto take off and the second it took off it flipped and crashed into the ground(again not scratch)

Is this some error on my end possibly? Different props and different colors

1st time I had not done an IMU cal yet.
2nd time i took off from a not so level surface. 5-10 degree angle

How do you install your props?

Yep. Phantom is only a week old. I'm actually sending back and exchanging for an advance but would be good to know if anyone else has this problem

Your title mentions a prop coming off but you give no details.
What happened?

Losing a prop in flight is very rare - I can't remember reading of any.
Your second incident doesn't sound like a prop came off at all - launching from a non-level surface is never a good idea.

Yes I am sorry. the prop came off which is what caused the P3S to nose dive into the ground. Wondering if maybe the threads are stripped in the props"

each time was a different prop and different color

or maybe i was just seeing things. i have the flight data from both. is there a way i can devode/translate it to find out what happened?

Are you Making sure the black props go to the black dotted thread and the silver props to the silver threads?

Double check if your installing the props correctly. Self tightening props should not come loose that easily unless installed the other way around which will easily unthread them.

Black dots on the motor = black propellers.
Silver (no dots) on the motors = silver propellers.

yea that was my worry at first. but they were definitely installed correctly. I have since returned the P3S and bought eh P3A. hopefully I never have that issue again.

First flight with my P3S out of the box, put props on tight and did calibration. Hit auto-takeoff and three motors spun up fast, fourth was spinning very slowly. Then it immediately tried to take off with three props spinning up and tumbled onto the grass from about 1ft height. Have never used auto-takeoff since, start with CSC and check everything is working ok before hovering at 3-4ft for a few seconds.

Yes, i believe one of my props came off and of course crashed. Yes, it was the standard self-tighting props and unmodified phantom 3 pro. I had something like 50 flights under my belt and have been flying RC units for years.

This is what I wrote to DJI:
I was flying my Phantom 3 Pro (1/9/2016) something over 100' above ground (estimate) when suddenly the aircraft turned upside down and crash. I believe this was due to losing a propeller in flight. I say this because: 1) The remains of the phantom after the crash showed 1 missing prop, 1 broken prop and two other props and landing gear unharmed; 2) The video recovered verifies that the aircraft did flip over and crashed; and 3) research shows that others have suffered the same fate from a missing prop or bad motor.

The phantom seems to have a design flaw or software limitation that does not allow the aircraft to fly with 3 motors. It seems inevitable that the aircraft will lose a prop or a motor will stop working but it is impossible for a pilot to know when this event will happen and take action. I find this not only to be an expensive flaw but a very dangerous flaw that could kill someone. Not only am I requesting a new Phantom 3 Pro but a solution to this safety hazard. I do not want to be victim of such an event or someone responsible.

Reactions: Sean808080
Steven...THAT is very scary. So glad for you (and others) that it fell in an area where no one was. Makes you think twice about flying ANYWHERE above houses!

Steven XXIII, were you able to find the missing prop? If so, what does the inside of the hub look like?

Last edited:
I check my props before I head out the door to fly. I'm always afraid that I will forget to check when I get there.

My guess is you are slap-spinning them on & they aren't completely seating.

P2s had metal hubs on metal threads. The props spun on very easily & you could generally just sit the prop on & slap-spin them & they would spin all the way down until snug. The P3 models have composite hubs, so the props don't always spin down all the way if you just sit them on the shaft & spin them casually. I noticed this my first few times installing props on my P3. Always install the props, spin them, then grasp the motor & turn them by hand a 1/8 turn or so until you are certain the prop is fully seated & snug. You don't have to use the wrench you just have to make sure they are completely seated.

Anyone ever have this happen to them?

My very first flight out of the box, about a minute into it. had it in A-Mode and was headed back to me 6 feet up. Next thing I know it flips and flies straight into the ground for a hard landing(not even a scratch)

Second time happened to today. This time I did auto take off and the second it took off it flipped and crashed into the ground(again not scratch)

Is this some error on my end possibly? Different props and different colors

1st time I had not done an IMU cal yet.
2nd time i took off from a not so level surface. 5-10 degree angle

Last edited:
The phantom seems to have a design flaw or software limitation that does not allow the aircraft to fly with 3 motors.
Its not a design flaw, its physics. NO quadcopter can fly with 3 motors/props that I am aware of. Doesnt seem possible.

Its not a design flaw, its physics. NO quadcopter can fly with 3 motors/props that I am aware of. Doesnt seem possible.

I have been thinking about this and I think flight would be possible but it would have to rotate continuously.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic