Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm thinking of pulling off a low shot close to water. My concern is that since the standard doesn't have the downward positioning system, it relies off of the altimeter. And apparently the P3S altimeter can be a bit dodgy.
Has anyone tried a low shot close to water with the P3S? And what would be a safe altitude to fly it at?
Many thanks
Nick

I have done it successfully while my Phantom was nearby. You should certainly ensure you can easily see it with your eyes since it's sometimes hard to tell how close you are to the surface of the water when judging solely by the DJI GO live view and/or the estimated altitude displayed in DJI GO.

Any altitude that does not allow your P3S to contact the surface of the water is safe.

Reactions: Brayan2134
I flew at 5-8 feet for about 100 yards down a canal recently. Great shots but it was very still and it was never out of site. One eye on the drone and the other on my phone. Even with a great signal and max GPS, I often see a flutter of 1-2 ft with my P3S. Does not seem to be worth the risk flying below 5 feet for distance with wind gusting more than 10 mph.

Keep it in sight you'll be ok, I love flying low , in this video I started about 5 ft or so but as I come to the left I get to about a foot or so above the long grasses, Im comfortable with this but not lower [emoji16]
This was p2v3 vision plus though.

Watch in it hd much better

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app

Over water - I believe the VOS is better switched off according to various reports i read where Advanced and Pro Phantoms are flown low over water.
As you and I have Standards we don't have that VOS so we fly with more caution !!

I feel lucky that I have had a manual multi-rotor and other models for years and flying low is not such a fearsome matter for me - I do feel nervous, be stupid if not. But I can and do fly low but I have my hands on both sticks and watch closely every move.

Maybe because of my other models - I do practice low hover and flight with my Phantom ... reckon it is good to get finger right with it just in case.

Nigel

Reactions: gaz1969uk
You'll be fine. I've flown 4ft above lake water at 35mph. As others have said, just make sure you can see the bird, as opposed to relying on the DJI GO app alone. I've attached a movie I made back in October. Fast forward to 32 seconds and you'll see that my P3 was just fine.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Once I get back home - the river most likely will be frozen .... then the Ice fishing starts. I also fly my fixed wing stuff of the ice .....

I'm hoping to get some real good shots with my P3S of all this.

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan