Is 50' to Water considered "close"??

And watch out for nesting birds of prey as well. They will be very protective of their young, possibly at the detriment of your copter.
I watch! I live in northern California, so we have Hawks and Eagles. Even some of the smaller birds, not sure what they are, Crows?, but they don't seem to like the drone too much either. I don't fly very close to them. I do try to keep the peace.

On the river, I had to fly right over a gaggle of geese, all of which seemed totally OK with my presence and the drone. They worried me for a bit, but just waddled into the water.

It must be something that the DEEP does, but for what reason, I do not know. So before I do any low flying, I scout the area of the river I plan to fly over, first, looking for unseen wires and other obstacles. Same thing with flying under bridges.. the bridge in our town has a cable stretching across the river, just under it.

Reactions: Lindsaybev
It must be something that the DEEP does, but for what reason, I do not know. So before I do any low flying, I scout the area of the river I plan to fly over, first, looking for unseen wires and other obstacles. Same thing with flying under bridges.. the bridge in our town has a cable stretching across the river, just under it.
Yep. Thanks, again. Would hate to learn from either the hard way!

Reactions: Basspig
I see a lot of warnings about the visuall positioning going wonky when people fly close to the surface of water. I want to fly a mission following a bridge over the Sacramento River, not a wide river, and I am wondering how "close" is considered "safe."

I will get amazing aerial video at 50'. Is this a safe distance?? Do most people turn off the visual positioning for a shot such as this??
I have a p3p and regularly fly local rivers, lagoons, and the Pacific ocean (Humboldt county, California). Altitude anywhere from 3 feet and up. It's been on and it's been off, net noticed an issue. I do have to watch for sneaker waves in the channel, but otherwise it just takes focus. How low can you goooooo!

In this video, I have VPS on and got real close, probably just a few feet, with no issues at all, except some video feed interference:

In this video, I have VPS on and got real close, probably just a few feet, with no issues at all, except some video feed interference:
Such beautiful color! Do you accentuate this in post or were the blues this beautiful to begin with? wow. So pretty!

Reactions: Ripper7620
Thank you very much, I used a Lut in Davinci Resolve, and dialed it back a bit.
Nice. Do you use the Lite version or the paid-for heavy duty one? Just asking because I am interested in trying the Lite. I use Sony Vegas Pro right now. I have heard a lot of good things about DaVinci....

Reactions: Ripper7620
Nice. Do you use the Lite version or the paid-for heavy duty one? Just asking because I am interested in trying the Lite. I use Sony Vegas Pro right now. I have heard a lot of good things about DaVinci....
Thank you very much, I very much appreciate it. I use the Lite version for now, even though I have Premiere Pro, because for me it's easier to use, and the work flow is faster.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj