P3 SE - solution to switching between FCC and CE mode, I used both, and it works for sure!

Was this helpful?

• Yesss!

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No, useless...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The frequency what you choose in the app is the frequency band of connection bethween drone and controller. This signal is not a standard wifi, so it can not percived by wifi analyzer. The frequency bethween mobile and controller is the opposit. If you choose 5 GHz, the mobile will use 2,4GHz, and vica versa, if you choose 2,4 mobil will use the 5GHz frequency band.
I would love to have somebody who is in FCC mode confirm this. I know this is true in CE mode. But a DJI Admin on the other site has stated that the wifi freq is 2.4 ghz and didn't mention anything about switching which makes me suspect it might be different in the U.S. At least that is the way I understood her. Maybe she was mistaken or maybe I misunderstood. Switching to the opposite would certainly make sense.

After going back to FCC I checked the following scenarios:

1- Keep GPS FAKE ACTIVE: in this case I stay in fcc with no switching window but I find my drone limited to 50 meters distance, 30 meters height with no way to change this.
This is a very trublesome experience. I will try the same as soon as possible, but I hope the reason for that is somewhere else. I hope because I did the same thing a few days ago, as I made some reference fly before I do any downgrades or fake gps flight.
So I was flying with newest firmware, newest app version and real GPS in CE mode. At first fly I could be reached 526 meter (personal best so far) then I changed my location. At second fly to my suprise I had software limits to 50 meters distance, 30 meters height. I'v checked, distance limit and beginner mode was off. (By the way beginner mode limitation is different, it is 30 m distance) I have no Idea what is this 50 meter limitation, and what can be the trigger which activate it.
But I readed on the DJI forum more people complain about 50 meter limitation after firmware upgrade...

So I realy hope, that it is a just a coincidence that this bug appeared toghether with fake GPS flight. I Hope weather will allow me to make outdoor tests soon...

Last edited:
The frequency what you choose in the app is the frequency band of connection bethween drone and controller. This signal is not a standard wifi, so it can not percived by wifi analyzer. The frequency bethween mobile and controller is the opposit. If you choose 5 GHz, the mobile will use 2,4GHz, and vica versa, if you choose 2,4 mobil will use the 5GHz frequency band.
I see.... So you are saying that if i choose 2.4Ghz ch.13 for example, the control and the image transmission will be handled by 2.4Ghz between the drone and RC, and only the connection between the phone and the RC will be done by 5Ghz and vice versa...?

I see.... So you are saying that if i choose 2.4Ghz ch.13 for example, the control and the image transmission will be handled by 2.4Ghz between the drone and RC, and only the connection between the phone and the RC will be done by 5Ghz and vice versa...?
Yes, you can find very similar the test results from our forum mate VonMacher in topic: CE / FCC

Dear friends, the idea behind a fake gps will never work. Everyone tests it at home but as soon as the drone sees the outside air, it jumps back to the original GPS. The drone also has a GPS receiver on board, so it can show on a map where it is. And this sends its signal back to the RC.

Dear friends, the idea behind a fake gps will never work. Everyone tests it at home but as soon as the drone sees the outside air, it jumps back to the original GPS. The drone also has a GPS receiver on board, so it can show on a map where it is. And this sends its signal back to the RC.

I have tested it outside and it worked. It is not a solid solution and often require to switch off many times everything until you are ready to go but I had few flights in FCC mode by using this method.
I don't know why, I think once you manage to force the FCC mode correctly the switching window will not appear until RC and AC will lose connection, then it will get back to CE mode. I mean, I think it's not constantly searching for the country area you are In, there is something (like disconnection between rc and ac) that triggers it.
I don't like messing with GPS but there is no other way by now. It is not just the 500 meters limit distance on CE mode, it is even worse not being able to have a solid connection and video feed even the ac is right in front of you hovering... This is unnaceptable, you can see the flight logs full of warning messages of signal lost, this goes beyond any territorial regulation.

Hey guys. Been following this thread from South Africa. Thanks for all the effort going into this! Let's get what we paid for!

I can confirm that this has worked for a full flight at least once for me. Max altitude: 164m (I didn't keep going because I lost sight of the AC). Max distance: 732m (Stopped because I didn't want to go over a busy road for safety reasons).

Method:
[App v3.1.22; AC firmware v01.03.0020 (not Russian version); FakeGPS ON and in US territory - Location accuracy set to 'Device Only']
1. Find area with no GPS (I was inside my apartment). Make sure phone/tablet WiFi and mobile data is off.
2. Switch on AC. Wait until beeping stops.
3. Switch on RC.
4. Open DJI Go and switch WiFi on.
5. Tap on 'Camera'
6. If WiFi settings change warning comes up, exit app and switch off RC. Do NOT press 'Okay'
7. Repeat steps 3 to 6 until no warning appears (I repeated once)
8. When outside, make sure to set RTH to AC location - not RC location. (I will test this out properly tomorrow)
9. Enjoy FCC distances and stability

I will keep you guys updated with further testing so that we can get a refined method. Hopefully there are some hackers/coders that can "fix" the app for us. We need a permanent solution!

Hey guys. Been following this thread from South Africa. Thanks for all the effort going into this! Let's get what we paid for!

I can confirm that this has worked for a full flight at least once for me. Max altitude: 164m (I didn't keep going because I lost sight of the AC). Max distance: 732m (Stopped because I didn't want to go over a busy road for safety reasons).

Method:
[App v3.1.22; AC firmware v01.03.0020 (not Russian version); FakeGPS ON and in US territory - Location accuracy set to 'Device Only']
1. Find area with no GPS (I was inside my apartment). Make sure phone/tablet WiFi and mobile data is off.
2. Switch on AC. Wait until beeping stops.
3. Switch on RC.
4. Open DJI Go and switch WiFi on.
5. Tap on 'Camera'
6. If WiFi settings change warning comes up, exit app and switch off RC. Do NOT press 'Okay'
7. Repeat steps 3 to 6 until no warning appears (I repeated once)
8. When outside, make sure to set RTH to AC location - not RC location. (I will test this out properly tomorrow)
9. Enjoy FCC distances and stability

I will keep you guys updated with further testing so that we can get a refined method. Hopefully there are some hackers/coders that can "fix" the app for us. We need a permanent solution!

I agree with you it works that way. Further more, I covered my bird with aluminum foil to prevent GPS reception during drone booting up (instead of sitting in apartment).
During your long distance flight (honestly it is - 732m WoooW) have you experienced even a shortest video break? I'm asking because I know that link break will trigger the system change to CE (at least while not flying). I was thinking that it shouldn't happen during flight because of the security reasons.
That flight, was it 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz?
Do you have some antenna mods installed (ARGtek or similar)?

Thanks for this testing. Very helpful.

Yes, you are correct. And that little stick outside antenna is just for RC - phone WiFi and nothing else. You can "hide" it inside the RC (like I did) and no problem with RC - Drone.

I think that you can't change WiFi channel RC - phone. It is determined automatically, but really who cares about it?

I'm talking about P3 SE only.
P3 Standard is completely different story.

I would love to have somebody who is in FCC mode confirm this. I know this is true in CE mode. But a DJI Admin on the other site has stated that the wifi freq is 2.4 ghz and didn't mention anything about switching which makes me suspect it might be different in the U.S. At least that is the way I understood her. Maybe she was mistaken or maybe I misunderstood. Switching to the opposite would certainly make sense.

I switched to FCC and frequency band was still 5.8 GHz (RC - Drone). Honestly, didn't try to switch to 2.4, but that was visible and possible choice within DJIGo app. At that moment I was virtually somewhere in Idaho I believe :)

I'm asking because I know that link break will trigger the system change to CE (at least while not flying). I was thinking that it shouldn't happen during flight because of the security reasons.

Forget about "security reasons", it happens, yes, go far enough so that the rc will lose signal and the switching wlan window will come to you, it happened to me twice already...

Yes, you are correct. And that little stick outside antenna is just for RC - phone WiFi and nothing else. You can "hide" it inside the RC (like I did) and no problem with RC - Drone.

I think that you can't change WiFi channel RC - phone. It is determined automatically, but really who cares about it?

I'm talking about P3 SE only.
P3 Standard is completely different story.

So that little stick is just for looks i guess... :) It` s a non sense if that`s the case! As if you would keep the phone and RC far apart :))) About changing the channels of the connection phone-RC i would have to agree with you, since switching the frequency from within DJI go is related to RC-AC communication.

I agree with you it works that way. Further more, I covered my bird with aluminum foil to prevent GPS reception during drone booting up (instead of sitting in apartment).
During your long distance flight (honestly it is - 732m WoooW) have you experienced even a shortest video break? I'm asking because I know that link break will trigger the system change to CE (at least while not flying). I was thinking that it shouldn't happen during flight because of the security reasons.
That flight, was it 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz?
Do you have some antenna mods installed (ARGtek or similar)?

Thanks for this testing. Very helpful.

Yeah, 732m was quite far! And yes I did have a small break in connection that lasted maybe 1 second but no WiFi change warning.

I'm not sure which frequency it was working with but I think it was 5.8GHz. I tried changing to 2.4GHz before I took it outside and then it said that it has to reset WiFi connection to change. After that I couldn't connect to the RC. So I switched the RC off/on and then connected to it. I think it rest to 5.8GHz when I switched it off/on.

Glad to help! DJI won't help us so we have to help each other!

Firsto I'm sorry I did not have enough time to check better and whether and darkness scared me enough not to go further, but....

Ok, as you can see from the attached picture I've been 190 meters up, and you know well it's unachievable in CE mode.
I was flying with LATEST FIRMWARE AND APP, with no wal window anytime.
I now can confirm 100% the wlan window does not depend on firmware and it don't depend on he app itself.
It is almost for sure some kind of info the app receives from dji servers.
Why?
Because I I just disablef any kind of data connection!
My app had naver had the chance to "talk" with dji servers if not for logging in!
SO, I'd suggest you all try this:

-TURN REMOTE AND DRONE OFF!

-UNISTALL dji go app, any version you have, it doesn't matter, uninstall it and better delete the whole DJI folder from you device and the hidden folder "HereMap" in the divice root to be sure.

-ONLY THEN, run fake gps to make you mobile think it's in the US.

-THEN, install DJI Go app, the version you like best it seems it's not important as even the 3.1.18 will show the wlan window when it is "told to"!

-RUN the app and CONNECT any way you like (wifi, mibile connection, doen't matter) and log in with your dji account: if you choose in the main window any phantom model instead of the camera button you will read "HOW TO CONNECT", LEAVE IT AS IS AND SHUT DOWN THE APP!!

-TURN ON remote, then drone and connect to you mobile

- DISABLE MOBILE DATAS AND BE SURE MOBILE WIFI IS CONNECTED TO THE REMOTE!

-NOW run the app, enter camera view: if in CE mode you will be asked to change wlan settings and you will go back in fcc, turn everything off and you are ready.

-NOW NEVER RUN DJI GO APP WITH ANY DATA CONNECTION!!

You can now turn off fake gps and fly where ever you like, just NEVER give dji go app the chance to connect to internet.
PLESE NOTE: if you ever let dji go connect to web you have to UNISNTALL AND REINSTALL THE APP.
That's how I've done this and I had the wlan window only whe I turned the data connection back on.
I hope this will help more experienced programmers the chance to develop a modified dji go app, as it would be enough to make it ignore the "flag" telling to switch mode.
I also have a modified litchi app, but it seems to ahve some problems so I can't tell if it can help actually.
I Hope to have the chance to check better tomorrow and come with a final solution, any hint, report, test result might help so don't be shy and try and let us knwo any trick who gives ANY kind of result!
Hope we are heading to final solution! ;)

Attachments

• DJI 190M High.jpg
    DJI 190M High.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 549
I was able to switch to 2.4GHz simply by connecting tablet to TX with OTG cable. Hopefully the blizzard we have here ends soon so I can give it a shot. I upgraded FW and app to the latest, just to make sure I get comparable results.

I was able to switch to 2.4GHz simply by connecting tablet to TX with OTG cable. Hopefully the blizzard we have here ends soon so I can give it a shot. I upgraded FW and app to the latest, just to make sure I get comparable results.
Hi,
It's totally new for me! You can replace the wifi connection to controller with USB cable? You can get even FPV screen this way too?

Hi,
It's totally new for me! You can replace the wifi connection to controller with USB cable? You can get even FPV screen this way too?

Too soon to celebrate, no luck with connecting OTG after FW upgrade. Have to revert back to 1.3.20 and try again.
I did a quick research on FPV, I think we still need to wait for the SDK and working version of Litchi.

Yeah, 732m was quite far! And yes I did have a small break in connection that lasted maybe 1 second but no WiFi change warning.

I'm not sure which frequency it was working with but I think it was 5.8GHz. I tried changing to 2.4GHz before I took it outside and then it said that it has to reset WiFi connection to change. After that I couldn't connect to the RC. So I switched the RC off/on and then connected to it. I think it rest to 5.8GHz when I switched it off/on.

Glad to help! DJI won't help us so we have to help each other!

That probably because your phone WiFi is not able to work on 5 GHz. That happens to me as well on my MEIZU 5, despite he has those capabilities. Than I use my wife's Samsung S8, than it work good.

Too soon to celebrate, no luck with connecting OTG after FW upgrade. Have to revert back to 1.3.20 and try again.
I did a quick research on FPV, I think we still need to wait for the SDK and working version of Litchi.

I tried that before, but phone is not recognizing the RC connected. This is not full spec lightbridge after all.

I tried that before, but phone is not recognizing the RC connected. This is not full spec lightbridge after all.

I was able to connect to both RC and AC twice with OTG. Then I made the mistake and upgraded...and now I cant find the thread where the instructions are. I think they were somewhere on DJI forum.

I could be satisfied if I had the promised CE 500m distance, would be adequate for my purposes, but only if the connection would be solid and without lag.

Reactions: Psycho Andy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94