P3 SE - solution to switching between FCC and CE mode, I used both, and it works for sure!

Was this helpful?

• Yesss!

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No, useless...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lucky you! I have also a Apple configuration (iPad Mini) and I have sometimes a range of more than 1.100 meters (in CE). Most of the time it is 700-900 meters.

Chatikib, I thought you were in FCC mode, isn't it? Your phantom is on CE mode? Last firmware?

Chatikib, I thought you were in FCC mode, isn't it? Your phantom is on CE mode? Last firmware?
I think it's in CE mode, because for FCC the distance is too short. There is no way to check if it flies in FCC or CE. I use an iPad and the drone has firmware 1.03.

I have done my testings, and doesn't have too much good news for you guys.

Test circumstances:
  • app version 3.1.18
  • Fw version: 1.3.20+
  • Fake GPS was on with an FCC location
  • Data communication was disabled
  • No wifi signal in the area
  • I used aluminium plate to hide gps from aircraft during the initial connection betwheen app and bird

What is new, and good, that 50 meter limitation is nothing to do with fake gps.

It seems to me it is an undocumented feature, if at the start the drone detect low battery temperature it activates a safety mode with 30 meter maximum hight and 50 meter maximum distance limitation. (Not a beginner mode, it's different one) After one minute flight, landig and quick restart of the bird the limitation can deactivated.

During the test I had many radio signal mode switches, too many, I could never be sure which mode I have currently. Possible reasons:
1) Can be my aluminium plate wasen't big enough, and the drone had same location information during the syncronisation with the App
2) fake GPS gives only location information, but makes no satellite emulation. DJI go doesn't trust it, it says, that I have pure quality GPS on phone
3) although I disabled mobile data, but doesn't disabled the sim card, so the App was able to get mobile cell information, which is suitable source for location determination.

As final result despite many try I wasn't able to fly with FCC regulation. At every try the signal was lost at 400-500 meter which is a typical CE behavior of P3SE.

During the test I tried to delete DJI Go, all related subfolders, and reinstall the old App. But after the start of App I have to login to DJI, so it is impossible to use the App whiteout enabling internet communication for a short time. After reinstall the situation is not changed, connection always switches back to CE before I can fly away.

I haven't enough experience jet to say, which circumstances can I switch to FCC, and which circumstances switches it back to CE

Thanks for taking the time and trying to test this out.
While I greatly appreciate his efforts, I'm not sure if the methods described by akossss would be viable and here's why:

I've found a thread on the hak5 forums where users are reverse engineering the Dji Go4 app in order to force FCC mode. ( Remove CE limits from DJI products and other fun stuff in DJI Go4 )

Here's how he describes the process of determining the location:
1.) check if aircraft has gps -> if yes, use the coords to determine which country (done on phone!)
2.) if 1 failed -> check if mobile has gps ......
3.) if 2 failed -> check if mobile has SIM, if yes look for MCC and determine sim country
4.) if 3 failed -> check if mobile has internet, if yes go to: https://mydjiflight.dji.com/api/v2/geocoder_service/geoip and parse the json result

The problem is that we don't know when these functions are called since some users here have mentioned that they were prompted to adjust WiFi settings mid-flight, upon reconnecting to the aircraft after a disconnection. Obviously flying with the aircraft GPS obstructed and using FakeGPS in order to circumvent steps 1 and 2 would not be a viable/safe solution.

Some users reported that they've found similar function calls made in the DJI Go3 app (the one we're using).
I've searched that thread and I haven't found anyone doing a similar modification to the DJI Go3 app.

So I guess we would need to try to replicate what they're doing with the Dji Go4 app.

Reactions: Psycho Andy
I think it's in CE mode, because for FCC the distance is too short. There is no way to check if it flies in FCC or CE. I use an iPad and the drone has firmware 1.03.

Oh yes, there is a way to know about it;

Check on the Wi-Fi settings, 2.4ghz tab, if there are 11 channels you are on FCC, if there are 13 channels you are in CE mode.

On that firmware, if you never updated it to the last one and after downgraded it should be on FCC mode.

I have a ipad 2 air wifi only just hope i get more then 100 meters of range...
Not a question. If the drone isn't defective, and there are no extreme circumstances even P3SE will work as promised by DJI.
Most of us can confirm that DJI's products are very professionals, and works as advertised.

In this topic we wan't to find a solution for using it for more, then for what it is advertised. We want to find a solution for illegal usage of the instrument. I can really understand, that DJI doesn't want to give us support for this :)

Not a question. If the drone isn't defective, and there are no extreme circumstances even P3SE will work as promised by DJI.
Most of us can confirm that DJI's products are very professionals, and works as advertised.

In this topic we wan't to find a solution for using it for more, then for what it is advertised. We want to find a solution for illegal usage of the instrument. I can really understand, that DJI doesn't want to give us support for this :)

While I can understand your point, it's also true that many people ( I think maybe most of people) are not going to fly their phantom 2 or 3km away, but they at least expect solid performance of the aircraft within the CE range, this is maximum 500 meters? Ok, so a solid and agile control without lag and disconnections with a clear video feed would suffice most of them, I am sure about this.
The problem is that from the last update the phantom SE is not delivering this. I myself have experienced repetitive disconnection from RC and frozen video feed followed by rth / automatic landing engaged at 20 meters over my head! And this was at the beach, the same place where before I could fly more than 2km away with a solid connection. This is not what we paid for.
And you are right about DJI not going to move a finger to help us but if somebody will not find a solution for this I can tell you something for sure, DJI is not going to sell many units of this model on the CE regulated areas in my opinion.

While I can understand your point, it's also true that many people ( I think maybe most of people) are not going to fly their phantom 2 or 3km away, but they at least expect solid performance of the aircraft within the CE range, this is maximum 500 meters? Ok, so a solid and agile control without lag and disconnections with a clear video feed would suffice most of them, I am sure about this.
The problem is that from the last update the phantom SE is not delivering this. I myself have experienced repetitive disconnection from RC and frozen video feed followed by rth / automatic landing engaged at 20 meters over my head! And this was at the beach, the same place where before I could fly more than 2km away with a solid connection. This is not what we paid for.
And you are right about DJI not going to move a finger to help us but if somebody will not find a solution for this I can tell you something for sure, DJI is not going to sell many units of this model on the CE regulated areas in my opinion.
500 meter maximum range can not mean stable connection on 500 meters. It means stable connection on 300 meter, and the possibility to fly more by ideal conditions.

I agree you, P3SE is a phantastic offer with 4 km range, 4K video and vision stabilisation system for FCC areas for its price , but not for CE areas.

I have to say, that i cannot agree 100% with you here.....no offence. DJI should have made only drones that are sold inside EU to switch to CE. We all buy stuff from China, and the reason for that is that most of the time we get more for the money. That` s exactly the case with this Phantom 3 SE. If something is made for China market, you should be able to use it as it is, and no one should cripple you "toy" on purpose. The truth is that DJI developers suck big time, and they are lazy enough not to do the effort of including all the P3se that are exported to Europe to support the auto switch functionality between FCC and CE modes. It` s easier for them the way it is now. I mean, come on... One of the pioneers in drone industry can`t get 3 stars rating of the android app that they made and should be the safest to use and fly with (DJI GO4) This move from DJI is a big boost to Mi drones sales. I am thinking of getting one myself if they don` t do something about the buggy app and flying distance of the P3SE.

Finally I was able to do some outdoor testing, in flight. Will not repeat conditions since those are well known.
I used 5.8 GHz mode and my system was most definitely switched to FCC. I was able to fly 500- 600 meters without a single video interruption. It was really enjoyable flight. Even with FakeGPS engaged, take off home point was correctly recognized. So, 20 minutes of a great joy.
Note: that flight was on exactly the same area I usually fly not more than 300 meters away with a lot of video interruptions.
Than I changed my battery (with RC and DJIGo turned on), and was not able to stay on FCC any more. Just a few more attempts resetting, rebooting etc... but was too **** cold to fix this thing.

Now want to discuss about DJI policy. I agree they have to comply with FCC and CE norm. Fine with me, but let us decide (button related) where we are and what are we about to do. That way they still comply with both regulations, no question about it.
Phantom 3 SE is very very nice and safe drone, especially with all those nice safety features which will never (I mean NEVER) fail. It will do exactly what we programmed it to do. I love it because of that. In the other hand, it is completely unacceptable for me to have such a nice (and expensive) piece of equipment failing on its basics - nice fluid video and command feed within specified range. To be honest, it became a piece of worthless trash here in Europe. So they just have to stop selling it here. Simple as that.
It is not a matter of long distance flight (4 km or so), but for 600 $ drone I expect at least up to 500 meters with no issues.

Here's what I can tell you from test we've been doing with other people here in Italy.

It's almost easy to switch back to FCC from CE usign fake gps, if done in the right way it's lawasy working.
What is hard it's to keep it in fcc!
If you have IOS things are easier but we are still working on android devices.
I actually can tell for sure it's NOT depending on firmware or app, no matter what version you put in, thigs works the same way!
It seems the wlan window depends on datas exchanged between app and dji servers, even if it's not 100% sure but so it seems to be, and it would also explain the russians suggestion to remove sim.
Let's start from the beginning....

TO SWITCH BACK TO FCC:

Uninstall Dji go, delete DJI and .HereMaps folders from device root.
Install and lauch Fake gps with internet connection (wifi or mobile data, no matter) and choose somwhere in the US.
Install Dji go app (download, use apk, no matter), lauch and log in.
CLOSE dji go app, disconnect all data connections (both wifi and mobile data have to be off), better deleting internet wifi connections to be sure it won't connect if remote is disconnected, but don't close Fake Gps!
Start remote and connect mobile to remote controller.
Start aircraft and let it link to remote.
Launch dji go, enter camera view and wait for the wlan window and click ok.
Wifi will disconnect and connect again.
You can now check the fcc mode by looking at 2.4ghz page: if you have 11 channels you are in fcc mode, if you have 13 something went wrong, start over!
Now you can close app, fake gps, remote and drone.

NOW.
The right way to connect seems to be:

Turn on remote and connect mobile, always remember that you should never be close to internet wifi spots as if the remote signal is lost and your mobile connect you will soon be prompted to change wlan settings again!
Turn on Aircraft and let them bind.
Launch Dji go.

If you have IOS dji go should open camera view directly, without the previous page shown in android, if you see the page waiting for you to tap on "camera" button, turn everything off!
This procedure seem to work for almost everybody with IOS devices.

I have Android devices and I actually can only tell you that switching back to fcc is ALWASY possibile with this procedure, yet I had no chance to check it on fly, but I turnd everything on this way OUT with full gps signal and NO WLAN WINDOW!

ONE LAST CONSIDERATION
I don't complain about the ce limitations, it was into count when I bought this drone, but actually limitations ar far worse than what expected!
A maximum flying distance of 500m should mean that it's the bigger GRANTED distance, not "what maybe could be reached with full wind behind, a big luck and god's hand guiding the aircraft"!
At least that's how OTHER companies works: my hubsan H501S-S is advertised as a "300m distance", while I've been flying it over 500m from me before fpv started blurring (and I only mean BLUR!) with no modifications!
When I used this AC for the first flights I could reach over 1000 meters with no problems, just using 2.4Ghz!
NOW, I don't know what they did with shi switching procedure, but 2.4Ghz is no longer available with android devices (it seems it's still working under IOS!), and that is very unprofessional from dji!
Hope to have the chance to check better and see if we have a solution soon, actually weather here is against us! lol!

Here's what I can tell you from test we've been doing with other people here in Italy.

It's almost easy to switch back to FCC from CE usign fake gps, if done in the right way it's lawasy working.
I actually can tell for sure it's NOT depending on firmware or app, no matter what version you put in, thigs works the same way!
It seems the wlan window depends on datas exchanged between app and dji servers, even if it's not 100% sure but so it seems to be, and it would also explain the russians suggestion to remove sim.

TO SWITCH BACK TO FCC:

Install and lauch Fake gps with internet connection (wifi or mobile data, no matter) and choose somwhere in the US.
CLOSE dji go app, disconnect all data connections (both wifi and mobile data have to be off), better deleting internet wifi connections to be sure it won't connect if remote is disconnected, but don't close Fake Gps!
You can now check the fcc mode by looking at 2.4ghz page: if you have 11 channels you are in fcc mode, if you have 13 something went wrong, start over!

NOW.

Turn on remote and connect mobile, always remember that you should never be close to internet wifi spots as if the remote signal is lost and your mobile connect you will soon be prompted to change wlan settings again!
Launch Dji go.

If you have IOS dji go should open camera view directly, without the previous page shown in android, if you see the page waiting for you to tap on "camera" button, turn everything off!

I have Android devices and I actually can only tell you that switching back to fcc is ALWASY possibile with this procedure, yet I had no chance to check it on fly, but I turnd everything on this way OUT with full gps signal and NO WLAN WINDOW!

ONE LAST CONSIDERATION
I don't complain about the ce limitations, it was into count when I bought this drone, but actually limitations ar far worse than what expected!
A maximum flying distance of 500m should mean that it's the bigger GRANTED distance, not "what maybe could be reached with full wind behind, a big luck and god's hand guiding the aircraft"!
At least that's how OTHER companies works: my hubsan H501S-S is advertised as a "300m distance", while I've been flying it over 500m from me before fpv started blurring (and I only mean BLUR!) with no modifications!
When I used this AC for the first flights I could reach over 1000 meters with no problems, just using 2.4Ghz!
NOW, I don't know what they did with shi switching procedure, but 2.4Ghz is no longer available with android devices (it seems it's still working under IOS!), and that is very unprofessional from dji!
Hope to have the chance to check better and see if we have a solution soon, actually weather here is against us! lol!

Hi Andy,

Thanx for sharing your results.
A question:
In the process of switching to FCC you let the drone have GPS signal, or you hide satellites?

it is not illegal to see what is announced at the beginning. on all the websites it is announced to be able to go to 4km and the fact that it is that in fcc is marked in all small well hidden. It is not enough to decide for us if we want to respect the rules !!! and for me it is false advertising no more and no less. So we want to find a solution to unlock the situation and take our own decisions and not dji, given the price that the drone costs is the least. Moreover a higher distance is a guarantee of safety also not to lose the connection with the drone. So we must strive to find a viable and problem-free solution that is also safe!

TO SWITCH BACK TO FCC:

NOW.

Launch Dji go.

ONE LAST CONSIDERATION

I just tried this, I can get to FCC mode easily but as soon as the bird gets GPS, it switches mode immediately. I had to cover it with tin foil to switch to FCC.

Second try was after reinstalling GO etc. - tinfoiled bird on my kitchen table and tablet's SIM removed, no difference. As soon as I got outside it switched mode. I now ran the latest app and firmware, have to downgrade and test again...if it would just stop snowing.

Tried versions 3.1.18 and 3.1.22 with FW 1.3.20, no difference.
As soon as bird gets gps signal, app switches to CE mode - even mid-flight.
Now I got something new, the app crashes every single time, first time it crashed was mid-flight so I almost crapped my pants. I still had control, so I could land the AC while tablet was restarting the app.

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Thanx for sharing your results.
A question:
In the process of switching to FCC you let the drone have GPS signal, or you hide satellites?

I just do it at home, so no gps is reached by drone or mobile.
People with IOS have no Wlan window after that, what I now need to find out is what triggers the wlan window again!
It's really a thin line, it's weird: two days ago I turned everything on outside and had no wlan window, today I did it again, the aircraft datas (firmware, status, etc) were shown but when I closed the window it came back again and soon the wlan window followed... if we understand what activate it we will solve the problem!

Tried versions 3.1.18 and 3.1.22 with FW 1.3.20, no difference.
As soon as bird gets gps signal, app switches to CE mode - even mid-flight.
Now I got something new, the app crashes every single time, first time it crashed was mid-flight so I almost crapped my pants. I still had control, so I could land the AC while tablet was restarting the app.

Please try the way I do it:

1- Open fake GPS, set fake location
2- Turn on remote controller
3- Open DJI GO app and push on "camera" when it will open, make sure the map is reflecting your fake location, if not, switch off and then on GPS on phone and try again, if still not close DJI GO and open again, insist until the fake location is reflected on the map inside the app.
4.- Now switch on your aircraft and you should be ready to go.

To me this works every time, the aircraft will save his location before flying (you can set it manually also) and there will appear the real location on the map inside the DJI GO app but not asking to switch wlan settings anymore until the remote and the aircraft get disconnected from each other.

Same thing here. First uninstalled the app. Deleted every folder that has anything to do wit DJI GO app. Removed SIM card. Turned off location, and everything else. Switched location to GPS only, and turned it on. Then turned on Fake GPS and went to New York :) After that Installed DJI GO 3.1.18 Connected to my wifi so i can continue to install the app (resource files and so on...) After that logged in. Started the app and wifi swtching dialog came on. pressed OK. Closed DJI GO app but left FakeGPS on. Then deleted my wifi router so no internet connection was available. Then switched off location- nothing, not even the GPS was available.Switched off FakeGPS and started DJI GO. everything connected and i was i FCC (11 ch. in 2.4Ghz range) Toke my bird on the balcony and as soon it got into GPS mode the wifi dialog came on. That means that the app constantly "talks" to the bird and watching for position. From the logs i can see that it is looking for the nearest city and determines the location, followed by wifi dialog window if the logatoin is different from the one you started the app with.My bird was downgraded from the latest version to 01.03.0020. The other interesting thing i `v noticed is that sometimes when i start the app it has a different interface!!! It has the interface of the GO4 app which i have installed as well. But sometimes it start normally.......strange! Maybe someone shoul try and take out the incide mounted microSD card and see whats on it.... I tried to take it out but maybe the top cover should be taken off. Now i uninstalled the 3.1.18 and installed .22 version without starting or using FakeGPS in any way and it is still in FCC mode (11ch. in 2.4Ghz range) but i am sure that if i take it outside it will switch to CE.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures