It is a cool idea but isn't it smarter to just spray the insides and outsides with NanoProtect which makes it completely hydrophobic? I have done it to my Phantom 4 but so far haven't dunked my bird into the lake I fly over all the time. Theoretically this spray will also protect the electronics and is optically pure so also protects the camera and lenses. The only hassle is you have to complete open up your bird and spray it inside, especially on the electronics. I am about to start flying from my sailboat and suspect I am going to have serious problems with retrieval so maybe I'll find out soon if the NanoProtect spray works as advertised. I also sprayed my iPhone and controller but just on the outside. I used a mister to see if it truly was water resistant and I can vouch that this is the case. I am not eager to throw my phone in a tub of water though so the Phantom will be the most likely to get dunked. I am a decent pilot but every now and again I do a boneheaded opposite direction maneuver. So, it is just a matter of time.

No suit or spray is going to 'proof' your drone from water damage. Especially saltwater.

How do you think I took over the whole post? I said it was a cool idea. For those who need to fly in the rain it's brilliant, I'm just too chicken to do so. Hesitation on a product of this nature should be expected, don't believe for a second I'm the only one with this opinion.

Hey Ariel Pixel, That comment was not about you, someone had posted about 10 videos of how they could review the drone if i sent them one for free and the wetsuit.
And the moderator took them down.

Thanks , by the way we would like to talk to you about your stickers , talk soon.

It is a cool idea but isn't it smarter to just spray the insides and outsides with NanoProtect which makes it completely hydrophobic? I have done it to my Phantom 4 but so far haven't dunked my bird into the lake I fly over all the time. Theoretically this spray will also protect the electronics and is optically pure so also protects the camera and lenses. The only hassle is you have to complete open up your bird and spray it inside, especially on the electronics. I am about to start flying from my sailboat and suspect I am going to have serious problems with retrieval so maybe I'll find out soon if the NanoProtect spray works as advertised. I also sprayed my iPhone and controller but just on the outside. I used a mister to see if it truly was water resistant and I can vouch that this is the case. I am not eager to throw my phone in a tub of water though so the Phantom will be the most likely to get dunked. I am a decent pilot but every now and again I do a boneheaded opposite direction maneuver. So, it is just a matter of time.

Are entire Focus is just to keep the water out of the drone .

What about the heat from the drone?? More insulation holding heat in could cause the drone to overheat? Just my thoughts... obviously if it's wet it would keep it cool but it seems also that it's being used as a precaution measure to rain it might heat up.
Great question: We flew the Phantom 4 Pro with the Orca wetsuit for days leading up to Totality Eclipse in Tennessee in 100 degree temps and we found that at most was a 5 degree temp increase in battery and 3 degree increase when the laser was pointed at the engine bays.

Keep in mind that the vents are not closed off just very well protected.
Thank you .

The take over was removed it was a guy who posted 10 videos of how he could review the drone if i sent him one for free . Thanks
Lol yep that was me. I wondered what happened to that [emoji12] sorry for any take over on the thread. Just me being a YouTube reviewer by numerous companies and just wanted to help out a new company that's all [emoji4]

For those asking how we protected the Sim Cards bays , the Phantom Rain Wetsuits use very small plugs that fit into the holes that we created with the wetsuit.
If you look closely you can see them. We made them black but will also come in white so you can see them better. We protect the cards in two different ways, first being we increased the depth , making it much harder for the water to get in and we add the covers . We have flown in the rain as we show in the slow motion video without the covers to just to show how it protects the open bays without the plugs.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 10.51.23 AM.png

Lol yep that was me. I wondered what happened to that [emoji12] sorry for any take over on the thread. Just me being a YouTube reviewer by numerous companies and just wanted to help out a new company that's all [emoji4]

Its all good, Thank you .

Reactions: Neon Euc
Hey Ariel Pixel, That comment was not about you, someone had posted about 10 videos of how they could review the drone if i sent them one for free and the wetsuit.
And the moderator took them down.

Thanks , by the way we would like to talk to you about your stickers , talk soon.
Oh Ok, I was wondering, thought it seemed a little weird. Best of luck with your sales.

We have recently released are new product line the Phantom 4 Wet Suits that will allow you fly in the rain without the drone taking in any water.

One of the questions that was asked today was why we did not cover the entire drone in Scuba Neoprene and the answer is we did at first but the results were not good. Covering the entire drone with neoprene created a ramp for the water to run down which was not as good as making it a bi level where the water could run off and over the drone itself providing a much more secure position.

One of the first Proto - Types was made of Rubber and it had all kinds of bells and whistles on it however it affected the GPS system and Satellite numbers not to mention the rubber was to heavy.

A fact which we learned after the fact.

So we settled for a minimal design with the most amount of water resistance weighing in at 6 ounces utilizing 3 different water protection systems.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
Phantomrain. org

what kind of guarantees to you offer if the drone gets ruined/wet

Are focus has always been just to keep the water out of the drone.

For those asking to see the other side of the Phantom Wetsuit , you can see the gimbal ring protector which adds a second seal to the DJI seal slowing the water intake. This provides you just a chance to get the phantom out of the water . Since the surge ring stops the slows the flow of water the Phantom does not flip over on its back ,and that is what gives you the chance to get it back out of the water .The surge ring is less 1 mm thick and it does not interfere with the camera or the dJI gimbal ring but it is much needed to negotiate the water flow , rain, and run off . The price will go up once with the reviews are in and we offer fancy packaging but for now it will remain at $69.95 with an estimated price of $99 to come. I also want to add that anyone who buys now will get any upcoming upgrades for free and we have some interesting things on the way.

Coal

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 4.38.50 AM.png

what kind of guarantees to you offer if the drone gets ruined/wet

Because the vents are still open on the drone , we are not able to state that no water will get in. but we have done everything we can to keep the water out.

Even if you never flew in the rain , the design is excellent, the impact protection is fantastic and the leg supports are great for those that catch there drone 1 hand, no worries of it slipping out.
Its also easier to spot in the sky and over the water, so benefits are everywhere , not to mention the stress free flight if you get caught in the rain or snow is priceless.

I'm going to wait for user reviews, but so far I'm intrigued! Any chance you'll make one for the Mavic (not sure if the design makes it possible)?

rain.jpg

This is my favorite pick, I keep coming back to it. I think that is why I started flying in my living room. :}

We have recently released are new product line the Phantom 4 Wet Suits that will allow you fly in the rain without the drone taking in any water.

One of the questions that was asked today was why we did not cover the entire drone in Scuba Neoprene and the answer is we did at first but the results were not good. Covering the entire drone with neoprene created a ramp for the water to run down which was not as good as making it a bi level where the water could run off and over the drone itself providing a much more secure position.

One of the first Proto - Types was made of Rubber and it had all kinds of bells and whistles on it however it affected the GPS system and Satellite numbers not to mention the rubber was to heavy.

A fact which we learned after the fact.

So we settled for a minimal design with the most amount of water resistance weighing in at 6 ounces utilizing 3 different water protection systems.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
Phantomrain. org

Hi

What long term effects will this design inflict on my precious drones internals?

I don't imagine any joint on the P4P to be remotely water tight and there are plenty of critical ones left exposed (eg rest of landing gear). You have also pointed out the design still requires some breathing openings. It'd be fair to conclude the design would surely attract a higher concentrated moisture intake even if its just miniature particles of smashed or chopped raindrops being sucked in.

This extra moisture inside the body is something you don't want due to it's condensing and corrosive properties. I'm curious as to what steps have been taken to compensate for this?

Consumers are demanding and sue happy, especially as a drone has a fairly high accident probability by way of design (it flies). I'm really not insulting or putting down your product and want you guys to be successful so that I can fly my own drone in these kind of conditions.

Keep going guys, I'm a potential customer : )

Steve

This is my favorite pick, I keep coming back to it. I think that is why I started flying in my living room. :}

LOL. I'm in Florida, so I just got a Parrot Mambo to fly inside during the storm. It's so much fun to play with the little pea shooter and grab claw.

Oh, I also have one of your wetsuits on the way. :) I decided to be an early adopter. I'm willing to take one for the team and give it a go.

I don't plan on flying in rain a whole lot, but it's going to be a good insurance policy if I get caught out in a sudden shower. Also will be good when it's just drizzling.

Also, if I may suggest a color for future runs: Safety Orange. Very easy to spot, even in poor visibility.

Looking forward to trying your product!

LOL. I'm in Florida, so I just got a Parrot Mambo to fly inside during the storm. It's so much fun to play with the little pea shooter and grab claw.

Oh, I also have one of your wetsuits on the way. :) I decided to be an early adopter. I'm willing to take one for the team and give it a go.

I don't plan on flying in rain a whole lot, but it's going to be a good insurance policy if I get caught out in a sudden shower. Also will be good when it's just drizzling.

Also, if I may suggest a color for future runs: Safety Orange. Very easy to spot, even in poor visibility.

Looking forward to trying your product!

Fantastic, So its designed to be all weather drone , no reason not to fly with it on at all times.
The newest video we posted show it flying and astounding 26 minutes in a Torrential downpour and that was the second storm that it flew in 20 back to back so that was even more impressive for the ORCA. We have made extremely difficult for the water to get in the drone both from rain coming down and forward.

Keep in mind there are other benefits to the ORCA suit and that is you have the leg supports that keep those clips on tight and stop the legs from cracking. You also have a well supported handle for 1 hand catch and release which was much needed do to how many vides of people whos drones slipped out of there hands.

It will take a little time to get confidence to fly into a thunder storm but just like you gained confidence in the drone to fly away from you , you will gain trust as we have after all the tests we have pushed it through.
We are looking forward to the snow blizzards that might be coming as that is going to be beautiful as well as capturing parts of the storms.

We take excellent care of early adopters and we have already sent out the New Surge Ring to you and have posted all the install videos on the website Phantomrain.org

We are working on some other color so we will keep you posted.

Phantom Install Video pic WEB Pic.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Thank you
Coal

Hi

What long term effects will this design inflict on my precious drones internals?

I don't imagine any joint on the P4P to be remotely water tight and there are plenty of critical ones left exposed (eg rest of landing gear). You have also pointed out the design still requires some breathing openings. It'd be fair to conclude the design would surely attract a higher concentrated moisture intake even if its just miniature particles of smashed or chopped raindrops being sucked in.

This extra moisture inside the body is something you don't want due to it's condensing and corrosive properties. I'm curious as to what steps have been taken to compensate for this?

Consumers are demanding and sue happy, especially as a drone has a fairly high accident probability by way of design (it flies). I'm really not insulting or putting down your product and want you guys to be successful so that I can fly my own drone in these kind of conditions.

Keep going guys, I'm a potential customer : )

Steve

Thankfully there is a big difference between salt water and rain water , river water and lake water all of which are threatening but only 1 is a threat and that is salt water. Many people including us have retrieved the drone back from being submerged in the lake and have been able to just dry it off and start to fly , but not with salt water as that is the corrosive threat to all drones.

We are working on a solution to that with an Surge Mask that will inflate when the drone goes 90 degrees and keep it afloat in the water and that is in prototype stage as we speak.
So we are taking your advice and were just going to keep going.

Thank You
Coal
Phantomrain.org

ADVENTURE BEGINS.jpg

It would be good practice after any flight in the rain or contact with extreme moisture/humidiity to submerge your Phantom in say a Rubbermaid Storage bin or container with an airtight seal full of a desiccant such as Silica Gel which adsorbs moisture more so better than the old cell phone in rice trick. Its pretty easy to obtain as they now sell a cat litter in an 8lb bag available at your local pet store for around $15. for those of you who dont know what silica gel is, its whats in those little white packets that come in beef jerky bags and any brand new electronic product you buy that's labeled "Do not eat".

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94