I wouldn't mess with the firmware at this point.
Rod
Too Late ... I already upgraded the firmware. Now wondering if/how I need to go back.
If upload your scary flight, and may be some others to.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Then share the url here, some buzzards will prey on your flight. :)
Rod

Here is the URL from the flight LOG. If you scroll down, you'll see the Compass Error and then the vehicle takes off at high speed.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Can someone 'decipher' the log file and assess whether the high speed move was due to wind or actuated motors?

It does finally RTH after i panic on the switch. but it loses video signal completely and keep popping up RTH and then keeps timing out over and over again.
When the RTH times out, are you using the device or the S2 switch to start it. I've experienced timeouts before but it was always when using the devices screen, when using the switch it always worked.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

When the RTH times out, are you using the device or the S2 switch to start it. I've experienced timeouts before but it was always when using the devices screen, when using the switch it always worked.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app[/ ,
Yeah the switch is the only way i can get it to return at this point. I'm just feeling pretty bummed right now about my short ranged toy.

Last edited:
Yeah the switch is the only way i can get it to return at this point
Hey guy, I was really confused this morning, yours is not the same as my problem, your loosing video not remote I think, if you are seeing lost signal, and to RTH, but the Phantom is still receiving your remote and it waiting for you to move the sticks, etc.

Not saying you don't have something wrong, but this should clarify was is happening or maybe not. :rolleyes:
Best Method to RTH?
Lost signal (but not really)
Lost Signal, P3S Hovered Instead of RTH
I got about five more if you want them.

Rod

Yeah the switch is the only way i can get it to return at this point. I'm just feeling pretty bummed right now about my short ranged toy.
That's sucks, don't know way so many are having issues this month. My P3S had a range of between 500 to 1000 meter stock. Then after doing the DBS mod. 2500 meters. And now I've added amps to the DBS and have done over 4000 meters to date with my Standard. I know it's like rubbing salt in the wound. I really don't thing it's a FW issue, I'm on 1.7.9 when I got the 4000m. And was on 1.6.8 when doing the 2500m with DBS, and had 1.5.7 when doing the 1000m stock. Don't know what to say.

Too Late ... I already upgraded the firmware. Now wondering if/how I need to go back.

Here is the URL from the flight LOG. If you scroll down, you'll see the Compass Error and then the vehicle takes off at high speed.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Can someone 'decipher' the log file and assess whether the high speed move was due to wind or actuated motors?
As I see it when the compass error happened, then it went in to Atti, the wind and or momentum of it already traveling in that direction carried until the compass error quit, then it went back to Gps mode, everything went back to normal.

Normally you don't get a compass calibration message before every take off. Just if see a problem.
The location of your take of area does not look like a good area to do a compass calibration. Due to metals, plumbing, electrical, rebar, remesh in concrete.
All of this just being in the ground.

Rod

As I see it when the compass error happened, then it went in to Atti, the wind and or momentum of it already traveling in that direction carried until the compass error quit, then it went back to Gps mode, everything went back to normal.

Normally you don't get a compass calibration message before every take off. Just if see a problem.
The location of your take of area does not look like a good area to do a compass calibration. Due to metals, plumbing, electrical, rebar, remesh in concrete.
All of this just being in the ground.

Rod

What's puzzling is why this specific time I got a compass error? I've operated the drone in the same areas on multiple occasions and never seen such error message. Hence, my suspiscion for it being due to the firmware update.

Yeah, I got you, but normal you should't get a message to calibrate the compass on start up. The only time I get an interference message when its setting on the hood of the car, table saw, refer, computers, etc.

Rod

Yeah, I got you, but normal you should't get a message to calibrate the compass on start up. The only time I get an interference message when its setting on the hood of the car, table saw, refer, computers, etc.

Rod

Thanks for the input. It seems I have a lot more to read/understand before I can safely take to the skies. Good thing we have cold weather for few weeks to come ... but hoping by spring time, this drone fever would still be there.

Reactions: RodPad
What's puzzling is why this specific time I got a compass error? I've operated the drone in the same areas on multiple occasions and never seen such error message. Hence, my suspicion for it being due to the firmware update.
My bird always gets compass errors now after update anytime i move it very far from the point i turn the bird on and move it anywhere close to any object . What i mean is i use the back of the truck bed to get ready to go fly or to put up my gear. Or if i am in my car i use the top of the trunk. Now i do realize there are lots of electronics in a car but my vehicles all have compasses on them also. The bird just seems a tad bit sensitive now to changes.

Reactions: JB63
WilliamM i am interested in trying to do some power adds on my Remote could you maybe share some pics of your remote setup or tell me what i need to purchase to get my signal boosted for better signal reception.

My bird always gets compass errors now after update anytime i move it very far from the point i turn the bird on and move it anywhere close to any object . What i mean is i use the back of the truck bed to get ready to go fly or to put up my gear. Or if i am in my car i use the top of the trunk. Now i do realize there are lots of electronics in a car but my vehicles all have compasses on them also. The bird just seems a tad bit sensitive now to changes.
This is indeed very interesting, as we might be onto something here. Anyone else seeing 'more' compass errors after upgrading the firmware?

Last edited:
WilliamM i am interested in trying to do some power adds on my Remote could you maybe share some pics of your remote setup or tell me what i need to purchase to get my signal boosted for better signal reception.
I'll post some links to the equipment and a picture of mine RC once I get back on my PC. But I would recommend that you fix any underlying issues with your current equipment before doing modifications. In other words it's best to get your setup working as it should being stock with no major issues, before making changes.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: RodPad and Y2KGTA

OMG, I'm I missing something here?
"i use the back of the truck bed to get ready to go fly or to put up my gear. Or if i am in my car i use the top of the trunk."
I was going to ask if your were using vehicles from the Flintstones, I thought your were starting your Phantom from the vehicles. :rolleyes:

"Now i do realize there are lots of electronics in a car but my vehicles all have compasses on them also."
Shouldn't be a factor.

"The bird just seems a tad bit sensitive now to changes." ;)
This is interesting

Rod

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RX5X36I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N72QWD...UTF8&colid=6X623K85H5BK&coliid=I3U6JI7GYPIDJT
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3ZMREU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010OSYUXA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If doing three amps. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JAM6HGO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017LEHC5...UTF8&colid=6X623K85H5BK&coliid=I33TU5QBG1712J
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017LHZMA...UTF8&colid=6X623K85H5BK&coliid=I1OHPXXBRNTVM2
If you go with all Gold amps you can use a USB battery pack 5 volt, instead of the 12 volt supply.
IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

Reactions: Y2KGTA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20