New controller with built in display problem?

Thanks for putting up this thread. I originally intended to get the P4P+ because I thought it was the only Pro option with the HDMI connector. If the connector is on the RC itself then I will be getting the one without the tablet attached.

Its a shame they are not producing, yet, a unit that has a removable control screen so you can use a "normal" tablet when you want to.

Can anyone update me on the Pro's Terrain following mode, yes I know it follows terrain, but upper and lower limits?

Can anyone update me on the Pro's Terrain following mode, yes I know it follows terrain, but upper and lower limits?
It'll only follow the terrain when flying uphill.

Thanks for putting up this thread. I originally intended to get the P4P+ because I thought it was the only Pro option with the HDMI connector. If the connector is on the RC itself then I will be getting the one without the tablet attached.

Its a shame they are not producing, yet, a unit that has a removable control screen so you can use a "normal" tablet when you want to.

My guess is, like other companies that produce tablets in the remote control, you can then flip down the screen and plug in an external larger monitor when desired via USB or HDMI. Eventually we'll see some posts of people trying this. Or, I'm sure DJI will be happy to sell us a larger screen to replace the smaller one (just detach the base and install new one). DJI does like to make things somewhat modular in order to reduce production tooling costs (i.e., avoiding to making two entirely different controllers just because of screen size).

Indications show the P4P without the 5.5"display does not include the HDMI connector. Disappointing.

Indications show the P4P without the 5.5"display does not include the HDMI connector. Disappointing.

Are you sure about this? I was going to buy the RC with the monitor then I found it was actually on the RC not the monitor. So I changed my mind and decided I would buy one without. Now you say if you dont buy the RC with the monitor then you dont get the HDMI? As someone just said that would be disappointing.

Shame there is not some way you can swap monitors out. Hope your listening DJI! :D

Now you say if you dont buy the RC with the monitor then you dont get the HDMI?
That's correct. The HDMI port is on the back of the P4P+ remote controller. If that's all you want, then save $200 and buy the HDMI Output Module instead.

Guys, lets be real. The number ONE issue with flying these things is the VERY limited practicality flying in direct sunlight. Ive flown with every tablet/ phone under the sun and they all suck. The ipad pro comes closest but still gets washed out in overhead sun. This tablet pumps out over 1000 nits of lighting capacity, double the new IPhone 7. The fact that its a dedicated display not running a load of smartphone software should boost performance and reduce lag times. Quick flip up and your ready to go, no attaching your phone, no background programs causing conflicts etc. This integrated screen is a dream come true IMO. I seriously had to fly with a hood over my head and the TX in any kind of sunlight looking like a freak doing so.......

looking forward to these monitors especially the 8" (yes I know its 7.9 blah blah) but expect it wont be cheap but the 2000cd screen should be something decent !

Guys, lets be real. The number ONE issue with flying these things is the VERY limited practicality flying in direct sunlight. Ive flown with every tablet/ phone under the sun and they all suck. The ipad pro Ocomes closest but still gets washed out in overhead sun. This tablet pumps out over 1000 nits of lighting capacity, double the new IPhone 7. The fact that its a dedicated display not running a load of smartphone software should boost performance and reduce lag times. Quick flip up and your ready to go, no attaching your phone, no background programs causing conflicts etc. This integrated screen is a dream come true IMO. I seriously had to fly with a hood over my head and the TX in any kind of sunlight looking like a freak doing so.......

Reality check. There are 1000 nit monitors available. I have one. It's damned expensive (close to a grand). Works - pretty well - but not quite well enough. I still try to use my headplays at times. It will be a significant improvement for most folks. Especially at that price. But it still won't make you dance for joy.

Guys, lets be real. The number ONE issue with flying these things is the VERY limited practicality flying in direct sunlight. Ive flown with every tablet/ phone under the sun and they all suck. The ipad pro comes closest but still gets washed out in overhead sun. This tablet pumps out over 1000 nits of lighting capacity, double the new IPhone 7. The fact that its a dedicated display not running a load of smartphone software should boost performance and reduce lag times. Quick flip up and your ready to go, no attaching your phone, no background programs causing conflicts etc. This integrated screen is a dream come true IMO. I seriously had to fly with a hood over my head and the TX in any kind of sunlight looking like a freak doing so.......

All very good points. I may well just dish out for the whole thing. However its winter here and no doubt before the flying weather returns, around May time, the price will have dropped a little.

Ohh before anyone says it ............ Yes I have and do fly in the depths of winter but prefer the softy route of flying in the warmth. ;)

Let me get this straight. With the built on crystals KY, one can't fly using fpv without an Internet connection? also one has to upload maps before flight without Internet signal?

You don't need an Internet connection in order to fly. Yes, you must cache the maps if you want to be able to see them in DJI GO.

It's a very tricky desicion. Unless the built in screen can be easily removed if it needs service or replacement, you'd have to give up your controller and the ability to fly at all if you need to send your rc in to service just because of a screen problem- assuming you have no other rc to bind and use if needed. A bright flip up screen for convenience is just not enough for me to give up a modular approach. No matter what the advantages, there is just no way I can do what I do on such a small screen. If the CrystalSky price makes sense, buying the 7.85" would be my only consideration. I came from a small screen for flight before switching to dji and having used an air 2 the whole time now, there's no going back to anything smaller. No way, no how.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I hope they bring out the Crystal Sky for the P4 Pro, probably in the P5 model?

Despite the obvious drawbacks I may well still go for the RC with monitor attached. I have memories of myself this summer on a very hot day putting a coat over my head so I could see the screen to fly. Bit like those photographers of a 100 years ago.

With a bit of luck and good timing they may have brought out the large Crystal Sky in time for me when I am ready for the P4 Pro, one can but hope. :)

I hope they bring out the Crystal Sky for the P4 Pro, probably in the P5 model?

Despite the obvious drawbacks I may well still go for the RC with monitor attached. I have memories of myself this summer on a very hot day putting a coat over my head so I could see the screen to fly. Bit like those photographers of a 100 years ago.

With a bit of luck and good timing they may have brought out the large Crystal Sky in time for me when I am ready for the P4 Pro, one can but hope. :)

The CrystalSky works with the Phantom 4 Pro as well as most Phantom drones backwards (as far back as the Phantom 3 Advanced I believe).

Ok more thoughts. Yes I do have them sometimes.

One of the new features is that if the Heli does a RTH following the same track as you flew it on to get there. I was wondering if this was optional or you could just do a normal RTH? Or does the track following thing only happen if it looses signal?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl