New controller with built in display problem?

Reaction score
My first thought when I saw DJI's new controller with built in display for the Phantom 4 Pro was.... cell data?

Currently I have a cell phone which becomes the GPS for the controller and the maps are displayed due to cell data acquiring them. Same is true of firmware updates out in the field.

Do you have to plug a sim card into this new controller with display since there is no phone?

Seems like you actually get less features just by using the new controller with built in display.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wonder if it is Wi-Fi or Bluetooth linked by using your cellphone as a hot spot?

Good part is that it shouldn't have the wacky issues trying to use various devices with the RC and GO versions, especially video lag matters!

Reactions: Hovtech
"The CrystalSky monitor’s HDMI port allows up to 4K video to be output to FPV goggles and other display devices. Built-in dual band Wi-Fi means it can connect to Wi-Fi networks and Wi-Fi hotspots from mobile devices, and it is also compatible with 4G dongles and USB storage through its USB-A port. When connected to the internet, the CrystalSky monitor gets easy access to system upgrades, livestreaming, photo or video sharing, data synchronization and more. File sizes are optimized as much as possible to minimize mobile data demands. Onboard Micro USB and USB-C ports make it convenient to connect the CrystalSky monitor with a remote controller or other devices."

See more details about CrystalSky here.

Is the CrystalSky monitor the one which is supplied with the P4PRO? The illustration on the P4PRO sale page, and the specs, looks different, and only mentions 1 sd card slot, as opposed to the 2 on the CrystalSky monitor.

You'll have to cache the maps in DJI GO.
Pretty much like any tablet without cell service then.

But I wonder how the new auto function of drawing a path on the screen and then having the drone fly it will work without exact maps.... Or is the pattern drawn via the image from the forward camera as per tap to fly?

Is the CrystalSky monitor the one which is supplied with the P4PRO? The illustration on the P4PRO sale page, and the specs, looks different, and only mentions 1 sd card slot, as opposed to the 2 on the CrystalSky monitor.
Nobody seems to have a production model yet. Going by pictures alone, it looks like the P4P comes with a different model/version of the CrystalSky display.

Reactions: rockydog
"The CrystalSky monitor’s HDMI port allows up to 4K video to be output to FPV goggles and other display devices. Built-in dual band Wi-Fi means it can connect to Wi-Fi networks and Wi-Fi hotspots from mobile devices, and it is also compatible with 4G dongles and USB storage through its USB-A port. When connected to the internet, the CrystalSky monitor gets easy access to system upgrades, livestreaming, photo or video sharing, data synchronization and more. File sizes are optimized as much as possible to minimize mobile data demands. Onboard Micro USB and USB-C ports make it convenient to connect the CrystalSky monitor with a remote controller or other devices."

See more details about CrystalSky here.
Ahhhh..... I see then. You have to enable a wifi hotspot on your phone and connect it to the controller if you want maps or firmware updates in the field.

As you noted earlier you could always cache maps, but that has been hit and miss in my experience when using a tablet without cell service. The maps are not cached at the detail level necessary or they just don't exist unless you plan ahead.

Also, without cell service there is zero live streaming functions.

Valid points. I doubt most pilots are streaming their flights.

Are there no options for a larger display? 5.5 in is smaller than my eyes are used to. The HDMI output may be bulky in the field but seems the only option?

The display definitely does not have all of the features found in the CrystalSky monitor. Over at RC Groups, DJI support is saying it does not have a battery, HDMI output (it's in the back of the RC), or SD card slots.

The display definitely does not have all of the features found in the CrystalSky monitor. Over at RC Groups, DJI support is saying it does not have a battery, HDMI output (it's in the back of the RC), or SD card slots.
On the DJI site it states it does have sd slot and HDMI....?
4fd7510f-adeb-4df6-93db-ea8e0258b8c8.jpg

Again, they must be referring to the remote controller.

Below are the specs of the two different size monitors. DJI is not selling these as stand alone items yet, but I am guessing they will be at some point. The Phantom 4Pro with RC comes with the 5.5 inch one (and it looks like it is attached). Personally I would pay extra for the larger version and for a detached version that I could use on other birds as well. I am sure they will be $3-$5 hundred bucks, but assuming the reviews turn out to be good and they are really as bright as they say they are, I think it will be well worth it.

7.85 INCHES

TECH SPECS
Display Multi-touch display with IPS technology
Resolution 2048X1536
Brightness High brightness:1000 cd/m2 Ultra Brightness:2000 cd/m2
Operating System Android
App DJI GO
Memory ROM 16GB+RAM 4GB
Connectors HDMI,SD card slot,USB,type C
Connectivity WIFI:2.4G,5.2G&5.8G 802.11b、802.11g、802.11n(HT20)、802.11a
4G dongle support
GPS GPS/GLONASS
Gyroscope Support
Compass Support
Speaker Support
Brightness Sensors Support
Mic Support
Inner Battery 980 mAh, 3.7V
Outer Battery 4920 mAh,7.6V(detachable)
Operation Temperature -20℃ to 40℃ (-4℉ to 104℉)
4K Video decoding H.264 4k 30fps / H.265 4k 60fps
DETAILED SIZE SPECS
Without Battery 208.6*147.8*17mm
With Battery 208.6*147.8*34.75mm
Outer Battery 90*45*26mm

5.5 INCHES

TECH SPECS
Resolution 1920x1080
Brightness 1000cd/m2
Operating System Android
App DJI GO
Memory ROM 16GB+RAM 4GB
Connectivity WIFI:2.4G,5.2G&5.8G 802.11b、802.11g、802.11n(HT20)、802.11a 4G dongle support
GPS GPS/GLONASS
Gyroscope yes
Compass yes
Speaker yes
Brightness Sensors yes
MIC yes
DETAILED SIZE SPECS
Without Battery 153.76*84.94*19mm
With Battery 153.76*84.94*39.6mm
Outer Battery 90*45*26mm

Below are the specs of the two different size monitors. DJI is not selling these as stand alone items yet, but I am guessing they will be at some point. The Phantom 4Pro with RC comes with the 5.5 inch one (and it looks like it is attached). Personally I would pay extra for the larger version and for a detached version that I could use on other birds as well. I am sure they will be $3-$5 hundred bucks, but assuming the reviews turn out to be good and they are really as bright as they say they are, I think it will be well worth it.

7.85 INCHES

TECH SPECS
Resolution 2048X1536
Brightness High brightness:1000 cd/m2 Ultra Brightness:2000 cd/m2
Operating System Android
App DJI GO
Memory ROM 16GB+RAM 4GB
Connectivity WIFI:2.4G,5.2G&5.8G 802.11b、802.11g、802.11n(HT20)、802.11a
4G dongle support
GPS GPS/GLONASS
Gyroscope Support
Compass Support
Speaker Support
Brightness Sensors Support
Mic Support
DETAILED SIZE SPECS
Without Battery 208.6*147.8*17mm
With Battery 208.6*147.8*34.75mm
Outer Battery 90*45*26mm

5.5 INCHES

TECH SPECS
Resolution 1920x1080
Brightness 1000cd/m2
Operating System Android
App DJI GO
Memory ROM 16GB+RAM 4GB
Connectivity WIFI:2.4G,5.2G&5.8G 802.11b、802.11g、802.11n(HT20)、802.11a 4G dongle support
GPS GPS/GLONASS
Gyroscope yes
Compass yes
Speaker yes
Brightness Sensors yes
MIC yes
DETAILED SIZE SPECS
Without Battery 153.76*84.94*19mm
With Battery 153.76*84.94*39.6mm
Outer Battery 90*45*26mm
If you read the posts above, it's fairly obvious that the screen that comes with the P4PRO is a different one from the full specs on the CrystalSky monitor.

But you still can't run Litchi, Autopilot or Drone Deploy. That's a problem, very limiting.
I don't think we know this for sure yet do we? It is android based and obviously will be powerful enough. We will just have to see how they have it set up before we determine if it will be for DJI go app exclusively or if we will be able to load other apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav