Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Does anybody know if a Mode C Transponder is required outside of Class B airspace? I plan on conducting a commercial flight on Captree Island NY (lets say: N 40.636263, W 73.263319.) This area is right outside of New York City's Class B and just out of Long Island MacArthur airport's Class C. The only issue is, I'm still in the Mode C 30 nm radius of New York City. I looked into it a little bit and on AOPA's website and they state:

The following areas require the operation of a Mode C transponder:

-Operations within Class A, Class B, and Class C airspace.
-Operations within 30 nautical miles of the primary airport within Class B airspace from the surface to 10,000 feet msl (see airports listed below).
-Operations above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B and C airspace.
-Operations above 10,000 feet msl in the contiguous 48 states, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl.
-The AIM states in Section 4-1-19(a)(3) that for airborne operations in Class G airspace, the transponder should be operating unless otherwise requested by ATC.

(Link: x)

Now this pretty much answers my question, since I'll be operating at less then 400ft AGL. I just wanted to see if anybody else was curious if they had to apply for a Part 107 waiver in these kinds of areas, especially if it is still considered to be an extension of Class B.

Equipment:
Phantom 4
Matrice 600 Pro

Thanks

Wow drone operators started talking in terms of Mode C transponders, Class B airspace etc!!!!

No doubt FAA should be more active in framing guidelines.

Reactions: BigAl07
First welcome to our forum :)

Chris I think you're mixing General Aviation regs and UAS regs.

You'll need a waiver/authorization for any COMMERCIAL UAS Controlled Airspace flights unless G or E-Surface. Any flights (Commercial or not) in Class B requires approval (depends on intent of flight as to what type of approval required).

Reactions: Chrispixs
Thanks BigAl07

I may have overcomplicated my question. My actual question is whether or not Mode C is actually part of Class B (which seems like its not) or if its something I have to worry about. As a sUAS commercial pilot I don't think I have to worry about the Mode C Transponder (or having an air band transceiver in this situation.) I'm assuming Mode C dosen't apply to sUAS pilots correct?

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks BigAl07

I may have overcomplicated my question. My actual question is whether or not Mode C is actually part of Class B (which seems like its not) or if its something I have to worry about. As a sUAS commercial pilot I don't think I have to worry about the Mode C Transponder (or having an air band transceiver in this situation.) I'm assuming Mode C dosen't apply to sUAS pilots correct?

Transponders in general don't apply to sUAV at all. Google GA transponders and learn what they are and why they are used......:)

You only have to worry about ATC Authorization before entering any Class BRAVO airspace with any UAS.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20