Mavic Release Discussion

However I won't be buying one any time soon, at least not until I've seen firm evidence that it can be safely hand caught

You should search the hands-on videos on YouTube. The majority of them have at least one shot of hand catching and/or hand-releasing, including DJI's own ad spots. On paper (i.e. forums), DJI "isn't recommending" it, but they don't "recommend" a lot of practices we do that are perfectly fine.

because of the very rough terrain I fly over.
How about getting a foldable bit of plastic/cardboard to act as a makeshift landing pad? Just something that can push down grasses or even out gravel. Unless you're truly launching from mountain peaks? :p

No physical spinning gyros. I didn't want people to assume there's a mechanical device spinning in the craft doing this work, that would be too heavy. DJI's gyros are more correctly labeled MEMS technology, which is part of the IMU in the Phantom, and the Mavic. These are electronic leveling devices that need calibrated, and the calibration data is kept in flash MEMory of the craft. I think DJI calls them Gyros to help people know it helps to level the craft. You can call them Gyros if you like, but when I think Gyro, I associate that with a mechanical device that spins, the original definition. But that's just me apparently.
Oh, they're gyros. Solid State 3 Axis Rate Demand gyros with additional 3 axis accelerometers. Mechanical gyros faded out about '96-'97 when CSM launched their 360 Heading Lock Gyros from the UK. Changed the RC heli game forever, and pioneered the latest technologies we use today. There are all kings of gyros. Mechanical, solid state, laser ring, etc.

SD

Did you not see starting at the 5:40 mark of the video just a few posts above????
@Dcpmark
Thx for pointing me to that video. I started watching it yesterday but killed the video after a couple of minutes, as I didn't take to the guy's presenting style.

Just checked out at the 5.40 mark and good to see that he could pluck it out of the air, albeit indoors in no wind conditions. I did think that holding the underbelly would seem to be the only possibility. The 9.50 mark demo of hand catching is far more convincing outdoors in a breeze though and goes a long way to convincing me that it can be done in relative safety, it seemed to hold its position very well in clear air and a steady breeze.

Next stage for me is to see how stable it is in gusty conditions, the sort of conditions I meet quite often. If that stability tst works out in gusts then I might just be flying on the moors this winter with food, drink and Mavic all in one backpack :)

If you haven't already found it, there's a huge thread about it on RCgroups.com

Official DJI Mavic ***Owner and Developer'sThread*** - Page 65 - RC Groups

where a DJI rep, blade strikes, posts raw footage from Mavic and still comparison in jpg and raw between P4 and Mavic from his dropbox.

Dropbox - mavic-p4 dng static test.zip
Stills

Dropbox - DJI_0028.MP4
Video

Conclusion: Mavic kicks ***. The focus issues on several youtube videos is due to Mavic having manual focus, and it's been set incorrectly. It can also withstand normal wind without a problem. Did I mention no props in video?

Phantom 4 is dead. Only bitter P4 owners says otherwise - it is the same functions in a so much smaller package. Quieter operation. There's even speculation its sensor, while having same pixel specs as the P4's, is an updated one with better dynamic range. The aperture is also 2.2 vs P4's 2.8. That's almost a whole stop more light sensitive.

I just ordered - the price may go up if DJI realise they can charge more than they already do.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lot of wind looks decent Got to get one GoPro unlucky

Yikes - props in the video of the Mavic (can be seen around the 10:39 - 10:40 mark in the upper left corner) only for a very short duration but nonetheless present. Not something you will ever see in the Karma videos.

Both Karma and Mavic serve a purpose and it's up to the individual to decide which one suits them best. A lot could care less about autonomous flying - follow me and even front mounted only obstacle avoidance etc. Price point for value received is what will make or break any kind of purchase. Let's face it, the object of "flying cameras" is to get great footage from the sky and there just isn't a whole lot to run into up there.

I still say price point for value received is what I would consider - e.g. in order to do with the Mavic what you can do with Karma (as related to aerial and hand-held camera and footage) you will have to spend a lot more dollars. Approximately another $500.00 - $600.00 (on top of a full package Karma) for a 4k camera + an Osmo.- Vs what you get from the Karma right out of the box.

Reactions: Squirrel!
You should search the hands-on videos on YouTube. The majority of them have at least one shot of hand catching and/or hand-releasing, including DJI's own ad spots. On paper (i.e. forums), DJI "isn't recommending" it, but they don't "recommend" a lot of practices we do that are perfectly fine.

How about getting a foldable bit of plastic/cardboard to act as a makeshift landing pad? Just something that can push down grasses or even out gravel. Unless you're truly launching from mountain peaks? :p
@Morgon
Tried that early on, in many areas of the moor the tussocks can be two feet high and as for the bloody bracken I'd need to carry a pair of shears with me :(

The hand catch video I've just seen goes some way to convincing me hand catching is practicable though, just need to convince myself of the Mavic stability in gusts, there is a lot less margin of error when hand catching a Mavic compared with a phantom.

We can all get it for certain. In a few months there will be better drones, and again, and again.
Technology moves forward, always!
phantom 1 was great, phantom 2 was + great, phantom 3 was ++ great, phantom 4 was +++ great, mavic is ++++ great.
Does it goes to end now?
If you want to have the best you are going to buy drones at a very high speed :)
I agree and I think DJI is going to hit the market with series of cool drones.Its a coup detat in drone market.

Reactions: mtnstream
Don't even get me started on the Karma. No cinematographer uses a GoPro, that would make that person an amateur.

We haven't even seen the "karma" in real action. I wouldn't be suprised at all if it turns out it blows in every category imaginable. GoPro have no experience whatsoever - the first version is bound to have a lot of flaws.

Don't even get me started on the Karma. No cinematographer uses a GoPro, that would make that person an amateur.

We haven't even seen the "karma" in real action. I wouldn't be suprised at all if it turns out it blows in every category imaginable. GoPro have no experience whatsoever - the first version is bound to have a lot of flaws.
Geez! What a negative Nancy, you are!

Reactions: flpholt
Yikes - props in the video of the Mavic (can be seen around the 10:39 - 10:40 mark in the upper left corner) only for a very short duration but nonetheless present. Not something you will ever see in the Karma videos.

Both Karma and Mavic serve a purpose and it's up to the individual to decide which one suits them best. A lot could care less about autonomous flying - follow me and even front mounted only obstacle avoidance etc. Price point for value received is what will make or break any kind of purchase. Let's face it, the object of "flying cameras" is to get great footage from the sky and there just isn't a whole lot to run into up there.

I still say price point for value received is what I would consider - e.g. in order to do with the Mavic what you can do with Karma (as related to aerial and hand-held camera and footage) you will have to spend a lot more dollars. Approximately another $500.00 - $600.00 (on top of a full package Karma) for a 4k camera + an Osmo.- Vs what you get from the Karma right out of the box.
So, buy a Mavic, GoPro and GoPro selfie stick. Best of both worlds and you can selfie stick yourself flying your Mavic.

Reactions: Biggle
Most of us are chomping at the bit for this new Mavic mainly due to its size. We all have had situations where we didn't bring along our Phantoms or Inspires because of the inconvenience of doing such. It's now very apparent that drone manufacturers will concentrate on portability which leads me to believe that folding style arms and props could be present in the next Phantom. The Mavics wide stance will certainly alleviate the accidental tip overs many have experienced with their Phantoms however, the minimal ground clearance of the Mavic will need to be watched carefully for objects getting caught in the props. One important lesson I've learned is don't part with your current bird until you give yourself enough time to experience the new one. I've made the mistake of selling one for another only to end up buying back the one I previously owned, a costly mistake.

I generally take off and land on my Pelican 1510.

If you haven't already found it, there's a huge thread about it on RCgroups.com

Official DJI Mavic ***Owner and Developer'sThread*** - Page 65 - RC Groups

where a DJI rep, blade strikes, posts raw footage from Mavic and still comparison in jpg and raw between P4 and Mavic from his dropbox.

Dropbox - mavic-p4 dng static test.zip
Stills

Dropbox - DJI_0028.MP4
Video

Conclusion: Mavic kicks ***. The focus issues on several youtube videos is due to Mavic having manual focus, and it's been set incorrectly. It can also withstand normal wind without a problem. Did I mention no props in video?

Phantom 4 is dead. Only bitter P4 owners says otherwise - it is the same functions in a so much smaller package. Quieter operation. There's even speculation its sensor, while having same pixel specs as the P4's, is an updated one with better dynamic range. The aperture is also 2.2 vs P4's 2.8. That's almost a whole stop more light sensitive.

I just ordered - the price may go up if DJI realise they can charge more than they already do.
Seriously there that good....lets wait and see and have to disagree with you on the statement you make regarding the p4 is dead, not a chance I own one and am certainly not bitter, mavic is in a different category , its like saying a mini cooper is in the same league as a toyota landcruiser, both are really good in their own right but not the same :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers