L-O-N-G Time Since Last Updates - Now What?

Reaction score
Due to unavoidable absence from the scene, It has been a long, long time since I have flown or updated my P3 Advanced. The last update i did was by downloading the Android apk from DJI and using manual SD methods for the Go App, and card insertion for the aircraft and controller. Obviously, ALL that has changed.

Currently, I see the GO App must be updated only via Google Play, but am very fuzzy on the exact procedure for the rest of the equipment because I feel sure I can't just leapfrog over several versions and methods of installation. I am sure the answers (including variation of opinion and experience) are in the forums, but these are spread over hundreds of comments and not really specific to such a long absence from doing regular updates.

Here is what is onboard now:
GO App = 2.1.0
Firmware on Aircraft = 1.4.10
Remote Controller (according to GO App info screen) = 1.3.20
Batteries (2) - no clue

Here is what I see available online today:
GO App = 2.7.1
Firmware = 1.7.0060
Remote Controller - unknown/automatic with other updates?
Batteries - unknown/automatic with other updates?

So, should I simply turn on the controller, the tablet device, and the aircraft and let these update automatically…or what? Again, I have never done any sort of live update via the GO app in the past - only 100% SD card methods.

Notes:
(1) The P3 flies okay at present, but I do have the famous tilted horizon issue much of the time, as well as random skipped frames in the recorded video;
(2) I Do have access to Firmware 1.05.0030 and 1.06.0040 downloaded zip files if needed.

Sorry to ramble on - just want to get this right the first time. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
1. Go App: if you have android device, you can directly update to the latest version from Google Play

2. There is no change in the P3 FW update procedure, you can download 1.6 or 1.7 and update using SD card

3. Remote will be be updated using Go App. Once you upgrade DJI Go App and run it along with RC, you will see a message on Go App for RC to update. It will be shown by a yellow triangle on Status menu.

Are you sure, you really want to upgrade? I noticed many are complaining about problems during installation. It's not yet clear if installers are defective or people are making mistakes during installation.

Also, currently you are free of NFZ limitations but once you update you will have legal limitations built into your app and RC.

Reactions: JKDSensei
You can find detailed instructions on how to update the firmware here.

Thank you guys very much!

@alokbhargava, that REALLY IS food for thought regarding the risks accompanying updates; it seems (at least reading the forums) that with each update - with rare exceptions - comes an array of rather serious problems. I would love to fix the tilted horizon, for example, but certainly NOT if it causes other severe concerns. Man, it is beyond amazing to me that DJI (or whoever they contract with) just cannot get it right. Perhaps they employ former USA (or any given country these days) bureaucrats who, clearly have power but no clue what they are doing in many cases.

Reactions: JKDSensei
I have the same situation. According to DJI support, you have first to go 1.5.0030 and then to 1.7.

@alokbhargava, Man, it is beyond amazing to me that DJI (or whoever they contract with) just cannot get it right. Perhaps they employ former USA (or any given country these days) bureaucrats who, clearly have power but no clue what they are doing in many cases.

titter.gif

@alokbhargava, that REALLY IS food for thought regarding the risks accompanying updates; it seems (at least reading the forums) that with each update - with rare exceptions - comes an array of rather serious problems. I would love to fix the tilted horizon, for example, but certainly NOT if it causes other severe concerns. Man, it is beyond amazing to me that DJI (or whoever they contract with) just cannot get it right. Perhaps they employ former USA (or any given country these days) bureaucrats who, clearly have power but no clue what they are doing in many cases.
Tilted horizon is a mechanical problem. Can be very easily resolved. Open the motor back cover on gimbal and keep motor horizontal and make its coupling shaft flat surface horizontal.

I'm in a similar situation. 1.4.1 on the drone, ios app is up to date.

For those who say "DON'T UPDATE!" - Will you please go into details why?

What is the most stable recommended setup at the moment?

Same as OP, I am hesitant about updating after reading others' issues. NFZ.
Thx

Tilted horizon is a mechanical problem. Can be very easily resolved. Open the motor back cover on gimbal and keep motor horizontal and make its coupling shaft flat surface horizontal.

Wow, what? how again? I did not know that. I've had tilted horizon issues, ruined a couple of shots till I compensated via gimbal roll app settings.

I'm in a similar situation. 1.4.1 on the drone, ios app is up to date.
For those who say "DON'T UPDATE!" - Will you please go into details why?
What is the most stable recommended setup at the moment?
Same as OP, I am hesitant about updating after reading others' issues. NFZ.
Thx

Updating is fine if that's your choice. There are some benefits such as 2.7k for the P3A and others (I don't study them all). You can find them if you search.
But you will also get forced NFZ restrictions and it's always possible to encounter issues you didn't have before. Depending on your flying purposes, habits, location etc, that could be more of a hassle than any good it provides.

I don't fault people if they choose to update....that's their choice....it's just not mine.

Something that concerns me about NFZs.
In New Zealand we can fly close to airports etc if we follow "Shielded operation conditions". This requires you to fly within 100m of any natural or man made object but no higher than that object.
So how does DJI know what I'm doing.
I fly a lot in a valley at the rear of my home.
I won't be happy if I'm flying under these conditions near my home and because I'm within 4kms of an airport DJI thinks I shouldn't fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic