Inspect your P3 before flight!

Unlikely any in flight manoeuvre might apply more force to the shell than crashing. This is a material composition, manufacture, assembly and or design issue.
I agree. Although DJI did improve the shell design with the second series motors and that helped, but if the bolts are over-torqued, it creates severe pressure on the thinnest part of the moulding which results in stress cracks. As you said, if there's been an issue with the plastic flow in the mould, which is generally caused by temperature fluctuations, it can cause microscopic bubbling which weakens the material.

I agree. Although DJI did improve the shell design with the second series motors and that helped, but if the bolts are over-torqued, it creates severe pressure on the thinnest part of the moulding which results in stress cracks. As you said, if there's been an issue with the plastic flow in the mould, which is generally caused by temperature fluctuations, it can cause microscopic bubbling which weakens the material.
I think it's likely it's badly engineered and too cheap (materials and process). I have replaced several shells with no crashes or toy style drone racing. New style motors also.

If you are able put some 425 on an inconspicuous area of the phantom shell and watch what it does. Should be ok if applied sparingly to the threads only and screws installed carefully but it definitely reacts badly with the "plastic".
Yep, I've only used a tiny amount of the product and the bolts are totally secure.

Reactions: With The Birds
I think it's likely it's badly engineered and too cheap (materials and process). I have replaced several shells with no crashes or toy style drone racing. New style motors also.
I think the quality of the plastic is actually pretty good so I think its really down to assembly issues. When you've replaced the shells, have you found any common points of failure?

I think the quality of the plastic is actually pretty good so I think its really down to assembly issues. When you've replaced the shells, have you found any common points of failure?
Always the motor mounting bosses to the extent of the lower shell. Same place they all seem to fail. It is probably polystyrene- low cost, light (advantages) but unfortunately very brittle compared to alternatives. If it was good quality and nice suited to purpose we wouldn't have so many failures.

Always the motor mounting bosses to the extent of the lower shell. Same place they all seem to fail. It is probably polystyrene- low cost, light (advantages) but unfortunately very brittle compared to alternatives. If it was good quality and nice suited to purpose we wouldn't have so many failures.
Right, so always round the motor boss, where its affixed by the bolt? The problem is one of rigidity I guess, as that's the last place you want the material to flex as it'd affect the position of the prop blades, which wouldn't be good. Is the material on the top shell the same as the bottom?

Right, so always round the motor boss, where its affixed by the bolt? The problem is one of rigidity I guess, as that's the last place you want the material to flex as it'd affect the position of the prop blades, which wouldn't be good. Is the material on the top shell the same as the bottom?
Seems to be yes... only had one crack in the top shell (shroud area around the motor armature). Still flying that AC but keeping an eye on it.

Reactions: Numone
Well I have a P3P since the day they started selling it and I have no problem with any cracks anywhere on it (I crashed it twice and had to change a few parts but still no cracks) so I think its about the way you fly it! When u use it as a toy (racing with drone, full throttle etc) then you have such a problems but I am shooting with it for a quality images and therefore I never put too much on it because every agressive movement is causing my shots to be ugly and shaky etc...
My cracks, as most ,have happened while not being flown. Mine was in a case for about a month and cracked while in the case. Read my post. Or any of this thread and you will understand.

..interesting consideration...vibrations of not balanced propellers and weight at the edge of the arms have not anything to do with shell cracking....again, everyone can do what he likes.
Correct. I have balanced props and no weight. Still cracks. It is simply bad plastic.

Correct. I have balanced props and no weight. Still cracks. It is simply bad plastic.
...yesss...because the main cause is the excessive clamping of the screws that creates a compression stress on the plastic seat, the secondary causes are the bad plastic compound, vibration and dynamic stresses.
All fractures start from the screw hole.;)
The engineer's design is good, construction and assembly are not optimal....

Last edited:
My cracks, as most ,have happened while not being flown. Mine was in a case for about a month and cracked while in the case. Read my post. Or any of this thread and you will understand.

All right... but its still weird :D I am using a photographic bag for my drone, carrying it ony my back :D still no cracks :) But the truth is that I inspect all the rotor screws with allen wrench before every flight...

Cheers HWCM. However, the P3 shell is polystyrene, not ABS or Polycarbonate, but I understand where you're coming from, but they tested Loctite 222MS and 242. Further down on that thread they point out that Loctite 425 is safe with plastics....
Ahhh, good catch. Thank you

...yesss...because the main cause is the excessive clamping of the screws that creates a compression stress on the plastic seat, the secondary causes are the bad plastic compound, vibration and dynamic stresses.
All fractures start from the screw hole.;)
The engineer's design is good, construction and assembly are not optimal....
I see, but many arms crack about midway, no where near the screws or screw holes. Like mine did.
It seems to just be brittle plastic.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4