Inspect your P3 before flight!

Reaction score
I have less than 10 actual flights on this thing and I was going to fly yesterday so I gave her a looksee and to my surprise here's what I found.

Note: I've never had any crashes or impacts of any kind with this Phantom.

2017-05-30-17.16.png

These are the worst of the cracks but there were cracks on each arm. DJI really did us dirty with the P3.

The last flight was my furthest at just over a mile and heading back to the take off position, I hit 30 mph with a tail wind. Before that flight, there were no visable cracks or anything. I flew for about 45 min that day.

It is too late for it but my P3 with 40 flights don't have a single crack.
2331b1ee8f2b6af28cdd90c0cc7c8a7a.jpg

It is too late for it but my P3 with 40 flights don't have a single crack.

I've used those reinforcements before with other P3Ps i've had and I've had the same issue. The difference was this phantom was barely used at all before it got massive cracks.

I've used those reinforcements before with other P3Ps i've had and I've had the same issue. The difference was this phantom was barely used at all before it got massive cracks.

Something tells me that you did something violent with your bird... these cracks can't pop up just out of nothing.

The crack on the top of the arm is really unusual! Definitely should be covered if still under warranty. If not, or if you don't want to send it back and risk getting someone else's refurb, need to replace the whole shell before you fly again. Could loose the whole motor mount.

Something tells me that you did something violent with your bird... these cracks can't pop up just out of nothing.

So after reading my initial post, you say that? This thing has never hit a tree, wall, the ground, not a thing.

Reactions: Dronut2
The crack on the top of the arm is really unusual! Definitely should be covered if still under warranty. If not, or if you don't want to send it back and risk getting someone else's refurb, need to replace the whole shell before you fly again. Could loose the whole motor mount.
All four arms have cracks on both the top and bottom. As i mentioned, this arm was the worst of all 4. Not sure how it happened to all 4 of them but it becomes progressively worse from arm to arm.

So after reading my initial post, you say that? This thing has never hit a tree, wall, the ground, not a thing.
It's just unbelievable, these cracks are too big to just pop up out of nothing. Unless the heat can affect the plastic, could be that your environment it's too warm?

It's just unbelievable, these cracks are too big to just pop up out of nothing. Unless the heat can affect the plastic, could be that your environment it's too warm?

Definitely wasn't the heat. Last flight, the temp was 70F and cloudy. I'm just as surprised as you are, or more so even... I wouldn't come online with pictures to lie to a bunch of people I've never met lol.

It's still under the 2 year warranty I purchased through BH but it sure does suck to have to send it out for replacement or repair.

Last edited:
From all the posts that talk about these types of cracks it leads me to believe that dji may have hade faulty plastic manufacturing or the screws/bolts were tightened to much on the assembly floor, if they use a electric driver or if they are tightened by hand their is still room for error.
The screws are to tight and when in the air with the motor putting stress on the area the cracks appear.
I have backed all my motor mount screws out and re-tightened them to a fit I feel comfortable with

Reactions: deltamike
From all the posts that talk about these types of cracks it leads me to believe that dji may have hade faulty plastic manufacturing or the screws/bolts were tightened to much on the assembly floor, if they use a electric driver or if they are tightened by hand their is still room for error.
The screws are to tight and when in the air with the motor putting stress on the area the cracks appear.
I have backed all my motor mount screws out and re-tightened them to a fit I feel comfortable with
That sounds totally plausible. I'll be sure to do the same if and when I get a replacement.

These P3 cracks do effect a small number of us and while crash damage/rough handling may be an issue in some cases it's certainly not all. I have had two P3 shells with this issue, neither was crashed. DJI replaced the shell under warranty on the first occasion, I did the second one. It's a three stubble job, pretty straight forward.

Reactions: macoman
Did the family dog look extra guilty last time you saw it? Dogs love Phantoms, and will try to fly them when you aren't looking.

They absolutely can and do. I had the exact same cracks. It is not from how you fly, I believe that it is from heat and cooling making the plastic brittle. I have some reinforcement plates like yours only the ones I have are the proper type with the stems attached to the plate. These won't keep the cracks away, only help support the motors.
My cracks also developed on the arms behind the lights.
Always hand caught, no hard landings, no crashes, always kept in the case.
If you keep yours long enough you will get the cracks. It is almost a guarantee. Some owners have sent theres in more than three times for cracks.
My remote also literally fell apart from the inside out. This is also common. Luckily DJI replaced it all under warranty.

Reactions: With The Birds
It is simply bad plastic that can not handle rapid heating and cooling. Someone on this board specializes in plastic forming and mixing moulding etc. He said it is a bad plastic formula that DJI has known about.
There is also a picture of a DJI repair facility with six foot tall crates with thousands of cracked repaired shells in them.

Reactions: Dronut2
Are the motor screws the larger ones at the ends of the arms and also, what is the size of the bit needed to loosen them?
Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl