Thoughts on P3 Advanced...

I also recently purchased a P3 Advanced for $799, but I haven't flown it yet, as I am in Pennsylvania, and the weather has not been that great.
I'd suggest upgrading the to the latest firmware (1.06) before flying in the winter - it's a change specifically to avoid problems with batteries in cold environments. Some people appear to have had problems in the cold, particularly when climbing fast.

Yeah I've no max distance set on app.I've set Max altitude to 400 feet cos that's the law in UK though

JMHO but if his Advanced is factory-loaded with 1.3 or 1.4 firmware immediately upgrading to 1.6 may not be the best course of action. 1.3/1.4 do not suffer the battery issue introduced in FW 1.5 & impose performance limitations to overcome the problem. If he has 1.3 or 1.4 I would test it as is. Afterwards he can decide if he is willing to accept the performance hit & GEO limits of 1.6. If he makes the change up front he is already committed & its too late to go back.

I'd suggest upgrading the to the latest firmware (1.06) before flying in the winter - it's a change specifically to avoid problems with batteries in cold environments. Some people appear to have had problems in the cold, particularly when climbing fast.

Reactions: robinb
JMHO but if his Advanced is factory-loaded with 1.3 or 1.4 firmware immediately upgrading to 1.6 may not be the best course of action. 1.3/1.4 do not suffer the battery issue introduced in FW 1.5 & impose performance limitations to overcome the problem. If he has 1.3 or 1.4 I would test it as is. Afterwards he can decide if he is willing to accept the performance hit & GEO limits of 1.6. If he makes the change up front he is already committed & its too late to go back.

I agree, just got a new advanced this week.

That came with 1.3, which after testing updated to 1.4.

Its staying at that.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
The furthest I have gotten is about ~4,000 feet away at 300-350' then I get choppy video and intermittent signal loss. I think I have a lot of interference around me because I have flown for a few weeks now, but I am still blown away at how nice and smooth the P3A is. I was thinking of getting range extender antennae just to offset the local interference.

Latest photo from "Poop Chute" - Distance from Home Point 1.4 billion KM....

SbMd4gmxt5soSCuYfYSQ7XA0ZAg0W3jnBggQRJ3S15xXOUCbbiEunWpmtk5Y_ftOw8x0KHxxmmD6phVeZVDYzmSZ2Hu3pCzk8Wbj3cnXOhd_qMhssQoMycjV3GJDQdSwootElY3s1RFbCTogBX-jGR6MilT_TM_PgiDt0fij5-k6LNDazQaaNkNf1RKCzfJj_thq0QoBnb-OMErrfVIr3TbJBN2I8Vtf9rJ_QpdDceCh-xqUTG2wPQ8G2DIyXOk2TJvmzDmCQxV99AKzH_fB17we29XlgJ1LHZ5oKVswLURZXwNde8RyXw9SvxM_x6hpEZGMy3lWllN320BfEh-r2GNXU481IIgLrdeiJslqwvExDbmlP4XJ-lqWUYrOagiKokjmDEB4FCHfo_qWVphofZ_VpznQp6-5zIo5Zw5pbsmJbghZ_36oD3BsGdTqbFYUTY1dm6ieWFkW99pJRDTw0xIiUzIJm_9Udqh9_dC189BLx2r1LqlzmYVrN5pTh69jnmovd8QtfUTOTxh2GKk99PyUh9b_gXktPnSEH_JQW298jywVUC1kqhzy9kp9TeZGC-sjeg=w580-h450-no

;)

Video of the flight (@4x)...

HAHA, Poop Chute.... Too funny :D Glad to see I'm not the only one that struggles with the stupid gimbal levelness. Fun flying location, on a beautiful day I bet you can get some amazing shots... COME ON SPRING TIME!

I noticed it was off a bit right on the way out. On the return it seemed to teeter between left & right. I haven't done a gimbal calibration but its nice to see they've added that feature as well as an option to manually adjust the level from within the app. Would have been nice if that option been around for the Vision+.

HAHA, Poop Chute.... Too funny :D Glad to see I'm not the only one that struggles with the stupid gimbal levelness. Fun flying location, on a beautiful day I bet you can get some amazing shots... COME ON SPRING TIME!

Reactions: ryantrax
Update.... Got 8000 feet today away from my house in the countryside. Still had full signal on both inputs.
I have no doubt it will go above the 10000 feet mark.
Loving this drone lol

Thank you. The 10 Mbps vs 2 Mbps is in the comparison specs for the Pro & Advanced models. To me this isn't a big issue that you will have some artifacts or a little less clarity on the tablet or goggle view. Your saved video is fine and the 2 Mbps feed is still perfectly adequate for FPV even through goggles. It's not like you are going to bump into things because you can't see where you are going.

Great story and video! :) How do you find the difference between the 2MB and 10MB bitrate of the Advance against the Pro?

Reactions: fly-catchers
One thing you can never be sure of is winds at ground level vs. winds aloft.
That wind change is common around where I fly in hilly northwest Florida. I have even experienced a 180 deg. shift in the wind at or near 400' and into a very stiff wind when on the ground the wind was opposite. I usually check the wind speeds on line before going out to fly but many times it is incorrect at my site.

So what I do on long distance missions is temporarily switch to ATTI and watch the drift for a few seconds at hover. Since the batteries are expensive I usually try to land at 20%, (which sometimes goes down to 15% by the time I get shut down since I have to stay high to clear trees). Hopefully this will extend the life of the battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr