Thoughts on P3 Advanced...

Wow. Very impressive flight. Distance, water, traffic, wind. I'm a long way from attempting anything like that with my P3A. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Excellent,......I am not confident enough to attempt those distances with total trust in the video

Reactions: TK P3A
18,410' to turn around. I initially let RTH kick in, then went back & forth between manual & RTH. To be honest RTH always seems to work out better since it is a straight shot home without any pilot-induced deviation. I had plenty of juice except for my errantly thinking I was still in Home Lock mode and backing up 2000 additional feet. That little screwup added 6,000' to the total flight distance! :(

Hello, great vid, distance to turn around??? Did you command a rth or ?

18,410' to turn around. I initially let RTH kick in, then went back & forth between manual & RTH. To be honest RTH always seems to work out better since it is a straight shot home without any pilot-induced deviation. I had plenty of juice except for my errantly thinking I was still in Home Lock mode and backing up 2000 additional feet. That little screwup added 6,000' to the total flight distance! :(
Just re read your post...sorry for the redundant questions....I was wondering about the reverse that happened at the apparent turn around...I found the video fantastic.....simply amazing...now also reading that you moving better than 40......
Great narrative....thanks from Arizona

Thanks! You know what sucks? Had I not mistakenly thought I was still in Home Lock, I could have easily gone out another 2710' & made it back. That would have my distance 21,120' for a full 4 miles! Hmmm... :cool:

Just re read your post...sorry for the redundant questions....I was wondering about the reverse that happened at the apparent turn around...I found the video fantastic.....simply amazing...now also reading that you moving better than 40......
Great narrative....thanks from Arizona

Reactions: Fplvert
Thanks! You know what sucks? Had I not mistakenly thought I was still in Home Lock, I could have easily gone out another 2710' & made it back. That would have my distance 21,120' for a full 4 miles! Hmmm... :cool:

Fantastic Dirty Bird, you are the man, when I read missions like this you have to appreciate what a fantastic little machine this is.
With all the negativity we read this story is so refreshing, I will go to bed now happy I have a P3a.
Tell me, was you heart thumping just a little bit near the end? Tell the truth now..

Once again well done you.
Cheers for now
Ray

Thank you! Without a doubt my heart started pounding the moment I turned around & noticed the 20 mph return speed. Hands were trembling too. :eek: The guy watching inquired about all the beeping & just then the voice announced "Auto-landing initiated!' I was still 1800' away & still had no visual on the aircraft. I was planning on flying two flights but decided one was more excitement than I could handle in a day! ;)

Fantastic Dirty Bird, you are the man, when I read missions like this you have to appreciate what a fantastic little machine this is.
With all the negativity we read this story is so refreshing, I will go to bed now happy I have a P3a.
Tell me, was you heart thumping just a little bit near the end? Tell the truth now..

Once again well done you.
Cheers for now
Ray

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplvert
DB, have you messed with the elevator during a commanded RTH? I've found you can add or subtract about 7 MPH with the elevator. Not sure if it would have made a difference. Maybe just pure Atti mode to really lean her in to the wind.

Your craft is named appropriately after that flight....;)

SD

That was very cool! I have a lake nearby that is about 4000' end to end. I'm more inclined now to go out that far.

I have not tried that. I know you can yaw around during Smart-RTH. I didn't go to ATTI because I was fairly confident I could make it 10,000' with 40% battery left. I forgot to test ATTI mode on the P3 for altitude hold. I know my Vision+ would bleed altitude @ max in ATTI mode which is how it achieved increased speed. Have to remember to test the P3 in ATTI for this next time I am out.

DB, have you messed with the elevator during a commanded RTH? I've found you can add or subtract about 7 MPH with the elevator. Not sure if it would have made a difference. Maybe just pure Atti mode to really lean her in to the wind.

Your craft is named appropriately after that flight....;)

SD

Thanks. 4000' should be a piece of cake. You should get great range over the lake too. The little island you see out in the middle where I took off from is Ft. Carroll. It is about 4500' away. As you can see I could have gone there & back 10 times.

That was very cool! I have a lake nearby that is about 4000' end to end. I'm more inclined now to go out that far.

Reactions: Stinch
Just awesome!!

I initially bought a P3S but when the sale started I figures the Advanved was only 100 more than I paid for the standard so I ordered one expecting to return the standard. ended up keeping both. They are amazing!!!! Live your flight path! Great video.

Thank you! It was "Bring Your Phantom to Work Day!" :)

Hi, You still up.. just thinking they could make a movie out of this episode -get Tom Hanks to play you and Dirty Bird you can be tecchnical director all this reminds me of the guy who landed that passenger jet on the river somewhere in the States.
There is one thing for certain my friend you don't ever need to fly in beginners mode again.
Regards
Ray

Almost a "Houston, we have a problem" situation but you managed to pull it through. Well done.

Like the music, I guess you want to make a comedy out of the situation :D

Thank you! Without a doubt my heart started pounding the moment I turned around & noticed the 20 mph return speed. Hands were trembling too. :eek: The guy watching inquired about all the beeping & just then the voice announced "Auto-landing initiated!' I was still 1800' away & still had no visual on the aircraft. I was planning on flying two flights but decided one more excitement than I could handle in one day! ;)

The 20mph is the normal speed while in RTH. Most of the distance fliers I have seen seem to prefer to fly back full speed in A-mode.

Btw, I think you forgot to mention that while making your flight over water you did so on the stock unmodified antennas.

Well if its gonna be a movie I want Tom Cruise or Tom Selleck to play me! ;)

Hi, You still up.. just thinking they could make a movie out of this episode -get Tom Hanks to play you and Dirty Bird you can be tecchnical director all this reminds me of the guy who landed that passenger jet on the river somewhere in the States.
There is one thing for certain my friend you don't ever need to fly in beginners mode again.
Regards
Ray

I will test ATTI vs GPS speeds next time out. Still not sure on something & haven't found a definitive answer:

My Vision+ bleeds altitude at max speed in ATTI mode, so you have to keep a close eye on things as you will eventually hit the deck. Does the P3 maintain altitude in this situation? This is something I will also have to test next time out.

Thank you for reminding me my aircraft and RC are 100% stock. You can see the controller in my hand at the very end of the flight. I did purchase a Windsurfer but haven't found the need to use it.

The 20mph is the normal speed while in RTH. Most of the distance fliers I have seen seem to prefer to fly back full speed in A-mode.

Btw, I think you forgot to mention that while making your flight over water you did so on the stock unmodified antennas.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic