I'm honestly distraught and so ashamed of myself right now. I've never felt so embarrassed/ defeated

That's what was said above. I didn't understand it either at first because my P3A sticks both return to center. Apparently the P3S remote is like the standard RC transmitters that have the throttle stick with no return spring.

I don't quite understand about the left stick. Does the Phantom 3 Standard not have a spring loaded stick the left throttle, or in this case altitude? If this is so, then you would have to manually level the stick? This in my opinion is a dumb design. On the Advanced, and probably the Pro, letting go of both sticks initiates an automatic hover. Man, now I really feel sorry for this guy...

That's what was said above. I didn't understand it either at first because my P3A sticks both return to center. Apparently the P3S remote is like the standard RC transmitters that have the throttle stick with no return spring.
The design works fine for an airplane or heli, but on a Phantom, this is a bad design. One of the most beautiful things about the Advanced and Pro, is that in a panic situation, you just let go and the quad will stop immediately and hover. I feel bad for this guy. I hope he sticks (no pun intended) with it!

I hate to sound like an old rambler, but I tell everybody interested in quad drones, " buy the $100 ones first!"... I have 8 quads from 24" to 2". I've been hanging them in neighborhood trees for a year.... I always wanted the DJI Phantom from the start,... But I decided to practice with these first.... Now when I fly my p3s, it practically flies itself. And, I don't panic with knee-jerk reactions.

Reactions: mmtphoto
I just got my phantom 3 standard two days ago, packed it into my bag and started cycling to the nearest open field. On my way I see a great bit of open land next to a canal, yep you know where this goes next. Instead of going to my perfect location I head over to the spot of land. I get out my drone ready for my first flight and because I'm in beginner mode I'm bound to a set distance, unfortunately this distance just happened to be right above the canal. All of a sudden the drone begins descending into the canal, I let go of the remote and legged it to save it but I couldn't make it in time. When I get back to the remote the left joy stick is locked in the descend position. So I'm sprinting for this thing thinking its lost connection or out of battery only to find out one swift finger movement could have saved me £440. I jump out of my clothes into just my boxers and dive in after the drone in 4°c weather. As you can imagine I was freezing my tits off, barely able to breathe and diving down this filthy 15ft canal looking for my drone in this murky water. After searching for so long I give up and then see bubbles of smoke coming from below so I dive into the spot and get it on my first dive. I was almost in tears of humiliation and defeat. The thing is completely destroyed, I don't really know where to go from here, I was just wondering if there was any advice on how to reduce the economic damage I've foolishly brought upon myself. Hopefully water damaged drones sell for something somewhere?
Ouch!!! that's a lot of pain, just some questions if you ever manage to replace said phantom. Did you download firmware and Install? Did you do the callibration? Did you watch any youtube vids on how to properly prepare your phantom before flying? I hope you manage to sort things out and are up and flying again soon.

Like Ricksdumb said, getting a small, cheap flyer that is NOT so easy to fly was the best piece of advice I got from this forum early on after I got my Phantom. I got a Hubsan X107C that I flew around the house for hours during the cold months of January and February, then got a Holy Stone F181 (little bit larger and with camera also). I also bought a Pioneer UFO which is similar to the Holy Stone but has FPV. None of these are anywhere near as easy to fly as a P3, and it helps develop motor skills, perspective and reflexes needed to gain a level of skill. It's also a lot less stressful or expensive making a mistake with one of these.

I know we're deep in this thread but why (as per the OP) did it land when you reached your edge. Shouldn't it have just hovered or did you do an RTH less than 20 meters. A drop confused.

Either way, sorry about the crash/drowning.

I went down to my local hardware store and bought a TX 9 screwdriver so I can open her up and try to get her dry quicker. I highly doubt there's any life in it though, the thing was releasing bubbles of smoke, that's how I eventually located it.

Its a horrible feeling. I'm actually too embarassed to tell anyone what happened, I just said it landed in a puddle. There was a really nice family there though that got me tea and helped me a lot. It pains me almost every 10 minutes, it might sound sad haha but I'm a cheap *** student and rarely spend money on anything over £50.
Ah bummer.

Gee...talk about first flight disaster! bit late for advice..but I read once on the net, maybe for newbies "whatever you do, dont fly over water"

Hi James. Just one thing I picked up on. The sticks should always go to the center position so I would think if the Altitude stick position sticks, then possibly it was a defective controller that DJI may honor if the controller is sent in.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Hi James. Just one thing I picked up on. The sticks should always go to the center position so I would think if the Altitude stick position sticks, then possibly it was a defective controller that DJI may honor if the controller is sent in.
Was thinking the same.

I once put a Syma x5c, which is a very nice toy-grade drone, into the top of a 40' tree. It stayed up there for two weeks through two heavy rainstorms. Finally, the tail-end of a hurricane knocked it out of the tree one morning and I found it lying on top of a bush near the house. When I shook it a few drops of water ran out of the legs.

So I dried it off with a cloth and turned a hair-blower on it for a good twenty minutes 'til it was red hot. Next day, even though I was absolutely certain it was ruined I put in a fresh battery just to be sure and the **** thing took off and flew like nothing happened -- and it's continued to fly to this day. What's more, I managed to recharge the battery which had lived through two weeks of constant discharge and being water-soaked and it remained serviceable.

Maybe someday DJI will make a drone that floats
I've seen a parachute for drones advertised and I've often wondered why no enterprising individual has never devised a temporarily attachable, lightweight pontoon rig for pilots who like to fly over water.

It occurred to me that a couple of empty cigar tubes with some velcro, or some elaboration on that theme, might work. Just something to keep a downed drone from sinking long enough to be retrieved.

Reactions: Ricksdumb@gmail
Gee...talk about first flight disaster! bit late for advice..but I read once on the net, maybe for newbies "whatever you do, dont fly over water"
I have a very strong inhibition where flying over water is concerned and I can't shake it. Dirty Bird has posted an excellent video of his rather long range flight over water to view a beautiful cruise ship and return. The flight is about fifteen minutes long and I had "pins and needles" watching it until his bird returned over dry land.

I love flying these drones -- but I just don't trust them. (I also have fear of flying and will do it only when unavoidably necessary.)

Reactions: Peio64270
MikeK mentioned "pontoons". …... Any floating device would have to inflate from a co2 cartridge.... A solid floatation device would interfere with aerodynamics

Hey guys,... I have a p3s the left stick does spring back to center, unless u push it all the down where it locks into down position.

Reactions: Pharm
The design works fine for an airplane or heli, but on a Phantom, this is a bad design. One of the most beautiful things about the Advanced and Pro, is that in a panic situation, you just let go and the quad will stop immediately and hover. I feel bad for this guy. I hope he sticks (no pun intended) with it!
It's suppose
Read the thread.
Read Do It, Wish It, Want It.

MikeK mentioned "pontoons". …... Any floating device would have to inflate from a co2 cartridge.... A solid floatation device would interfere with aerodynamics
What I suggested, an empty cigar tube, would not need inflation. It is a lightweight sealed cylinder which is extremely buoyant. I think two of them attached where the landing skids connect would keep a drone afloat. If they are too small, then something a bit larger -- some sort of sealed cylinder.

PS: Do you know what I mean by cigar cylinder? Very thin, very light aluminum tube about 7" long.

There are already float systems available for RC helicopters and our @dji drones as well.
Do a simple forum search... ;-)
Phantom 3 Floats
This design is "Loony"... Hahaha
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
But I like it. Eh?

RedHotPoker

There are already float systems available for RC helicopters and our @dji drones as well.
Do a simple forum search... ;-)
Phantom 3 Floats
This design is "Loony"... Hahaha
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
But I like it. Eh?

RedHotPoker
What I suggested, an empty cigar tube, would not need inflation. It is a lightweight sealed cylinder which is extremely buoyant. I think two of them attached where the landing skids connect would keep a drone afloat. If they are too small, then something a bit larger -- some sort of sealed cylinder.

PS: Do you know what I mean by cigar cylinder? Very thin, very light aluminum tube about 7" long.
That video was cool!.... I'll bet those motors draw some serious amperage under water!...... Yes Mike, that is a good idea.... I would guess you'd probably need 4 tubes to get enough displacement and stabilization.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic