I'm honestly distraught and so ashamed of myself right now. I've never felt so embarrassed/ defeated

Brother, I know it sucks but don't beat yourself up about it. It was a mistake. It's not like you did it on purpose. Accidents happen. That's why they're called accidents.

Now...try drying her out like the others mentioned and see how it goes. It may not be a total loss. For all you know, and if the BIG MAN's on your side, you may get lucky. I personally want to know the outcome. Please make sure you post your results.

Reactions: SilverStone641
My p3a ended up in the river for about 10 minutes. Had sand in the camera which I took apart and cleaned. After a few days of drying out the bird flew like new. That was almost a year ago. Good luck with yours

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: SilverStone641
I just got my phantom 3 standard two days ago, packed it into my bag and started cycling to the nearest open field. On my way I see a great bit of open land next to a canal, yep you know where this goes next. Instead of going to my perfect location I head over to the spot of land. I get out my drone ready for my first flight and because I'm in beginner mode I'm bound to a set distance, unfortunately this distance just happened to be right above the canal. All of a sudden the drone begins descending into the canal, I let go of the remote and legged it to save it but I couldn't make it in time. When I get back to the remote the left joy stick is locked in the descend position. So I'm sprinting for this thing thinking its lost connection or out of battery only to find out one swift finger movement could have saved me £440. I jump out of my clothes into just my boxers and dive in after the drone in 4°c weather. As you can imagine I was freezing my tits off, barely able to breathe and diving down this filthy 15ft canal looking for my drone in this murky water. After searching for so long I give up and then see bubbles of smoke coming from below so I dive into the spot and get it on my first dive. I was almost in tears of humiliation and defeat. The thing is completely destroyed, I don't really know where to go from here, I was just wondering if there was any advice on how to reduce the economic damage I've foolishly brought upon myself. Hopefully water damaged drones sell for something somewhere?

I am so sorry this happened to you. I am new to this as well, I've only had my P3A for about 3 months. Luckily I haven't had any crashes yet ( fingers crossed ). Still though I can imagine how you feel. When I went out to fly mine for the first time I was a nervous wreck, I was so scared to crash it! I do not have a ton of money and I had been wanting one for like two years. My wife finally made me take some of our tax return to buy one. So if I would have crashed it I would have been devastated! It makes it more upsetting when you don't have an abundance of money. I was so nervous I was shaking, my wife was making fun of me..lol

Anyways I'm so sorry for your loss!

P:S I have heard a lot of people on this forum say there quad returned to full function after taking a swim, please keep us posted on what happens

Reactions: Ricksdumb@gmail
I am so sorry this happened to you. I am new to this as well, I've only had my P3A for about 3 months. Luckily I haven't had any crashes yet ( fingers crossed ). Still though I can imagine how you feel. When I went out to fly mine for the first time I was a nervous wreck, I was so scared to crash it! I do not have a ton of money and I had been wanting one for like two years. My wife finally made me take some of our tax return to buy one. So if I would have crashed it I would have been devastated! It makes it more upsetting when you don't have an abundance of money. I was so nervous I was shaking, my wife was making fun of me..lol

Anyways I'm so sorry for your loss!

P:S I have heard a lot of people on this forum say there quad returned to full function after taking a swim, please keep us posted on what happens

I was also extremely nervous, so much money within the control of my hands and such little experience. I'm a student so yeah moneys not something that comes by easily, I had just had my birthday so was able to pay for the drone with like 40/60 birthday money to savings. Living cheap for a few months and not drinking as much to save up then after less than a minute the thing that I couldn't sleep with excitement over is gone.

I took apart the drone yesterday, the things completely fried to a crisp there's no chance of survival. I messaged the reseller saying there was a malfunction with the battery and the thing just started randomly smoking. I know its not honest but its my only hope. Do you know if the flights of these drones are recorded in DJI's database?

I think the flights are recorded in database, not sure though. I think your best option would be to contact dji, tell them what happened honestly. I have heard several people on here say that dji will offer a discount on a replacement ( if your remote is still ok, you can purchase just the quad cheaper with no remote). Then if they offer a discount ( I have heard anywhere from 30%-50% off). It might not cost that much to get back in the game. Again I feel for you man. Good luck, let me know what happens!

DroneFly has the bird only for $499

Set up a GoFundMe page. You'd be surprised.

Reactions: PEEFA
Set up a GoFundMe page. You'd be surprised.
As I was reading through this I had the same thought! With a story like that your sure to get noticed. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Geez, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad you are okay. Diving into a canal could be hazardous to your health but I understand. I think if mine went in the water. I'd do the same.

Chalk it up to a very expensive lesson.. Don't give up. They are alot of fun!

Any luck yet James?
Sorry I've not been getting any email notifications from the website. I sent the retailer a message and they sent me to DJI so I sent them an email today. I've seen main motherboards online for like £90 so I might buy one of them and put my soldering skills to use. I'll have to see what DJI have to say. I don't know about GoFund me I feel like people would be like its my fault so I have to pay the consequences.

Is it just the bird that's damaged? Does anyone know if a new bird would link up with his existing equipment? Moderators??

Yes
Is it just the bird that's damaged? Does anyone know if a new bird would link up with his existing equipment? Moderators??[/QUOTE.....

Reactions: TWP723
c6ea2f00a71e1e4de1c92824d12aa877.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I messaged the reseller saying there was a malfunction with the battery and the thing just started randomly smoking. I know its not honest but its my only hope.
If you believe the only way to recover from your own stupidity is to give away your honesty and integrity - you have no hope.

So in short, you you descended your own bird using the stick into the water. Dang man, don't do that with the next one (as if you need to be told that now). The left stick does lock in the down position so a higher level of awareness is needed. I almost descended mine to the ground but luckily flipped that stick up before it hit and it halted in air as designed. Dry out it out as people said, perhaps sell some parts and pick up a new one and read all you can about it before taking it out.

For many years I worked as a Paramedic, and we carried Motorola radio equipment. Motorola's policy whenever we accidentally dropped on or the walkie-talkies in water, was to immediately, or ASAP, submerge the entire radio in a bucket of distilled water, and bring it to them. They would then place the opened radio in a drying device with a little heat and very low humidity for several days. The rice trick is very similar. Seems that it's not necessarily the water that causes problems, but the minerals in the water. Distilled water has no minerals.

Reactions: mikesmiley
Thanks for sharing. Your experience might help someone of us in the future. I myself have had my DJI P3S for about 8 weeks now. I am having a range problem, and may send it back for service, because of that. I am also having sensitivity problems with the controls after calling tech support and getting the new update for the application on my phone. I am try to work through that, but have not been completely successful.
What I really wanted to say was that I have a fear of going over things where the drone is not readily recoverable if it were to descend- i.e. water, swamp or fenced areas with no access. Even forested areas make me nervous. It is a fear base on non-reality, because I have control, but stuff happens, as we all know. With more flying time and experience, I expect this will be remedied.
Hey, give us an update....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj