I need a new device for my P3 Advanced - old wifi iPad no good

Reaction score
My wifi only iPad worked for my P3 Standard but my new 3 Advanced doesn't use wifi, which is the point.
Does anybody know if I get a new (used) iPad, do I need one with a phone contract? Or will they work just for the drone?
Like what is called unlocked? I have no need for a cell phone so I am really stupid about all this!!!

Can anybody give me an idea of what I should be looking for?

I chose the iPad in the first place because of the big screen and that is why I am asking about iPads.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! Ray

Have you tried using your iPad with the P3A? No idea which model you have you may find that the app runs fine, you can still cache your maps when you have a wifi network and load them later. As long as you have GPS enabled in your device, you should be able to set your homepoint and fly normally. I fly all the time out of cellular range and no wifi with no issues.

My wifi only iPad worked for my P3 Standard but my new 3 Advanced doesn't use wifi, which is the point.
Does anybody know if I get a new (used) iPad, do I need one with a phone contract? Or will they work just for the drone?
Like what is called unlocked? I have no need for a cell phone so I am really stupid about all this!!!

Can anybody give me an idea of what I should be looking for?

I chose the iPad in the first place because of the big screen and that is why I am asking about iPads.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! Ray
Apple iPads come in either a wifi only version or a wifi + cellular enabled version. Your Phantom has GPS to know where it is and to set the home point for RTH, so you can fly your Phantom with either version. Some optional features require GPS at your RC (controller) so that your RC location is also known. Wifi only iPads are NOT GPS enabled and there's no crowd sourced location data accurate enough to allow the use of the optional features. However, phones, cellular enabled iPads, and most Android tablets DO have GPS that can be used for those optional features. A data plan is not required if you go with a cellular enabled iPad.

Unless it's an early model, a wifi only iPad could be fine for you unless those optional features (Follow Me or resetting your home point to your current location) are important to you. If they are, then you may need to look at a new mobile device or an add on GPS device.

Click here for more detailed info on what to expect with different iPads / situations.

Have you tried using your iPad with the P3A? No idea which model you have you may find that the app runs fine, you can still cache your maps when you have a wifi network and load them later. As long as you have GPS enabled in your device, you should be able to set your homepoint and fly normally. I fly all the time out of cellular range and no wifi with no issues.
Yeah, I did try it with the Advanced and the propellers power up and I could fly it in Atti mode but no GPS and no live video.

Apple iPads come in either a wifi only version or a wifi + cellular enabled version. Your Phantom has GPS to know where it is and to set the home point for RTH, so you can fly your Phantom with either version. Some optional features require GPS at your RC (controller) so that your RC location is also known. Wifi only iPads are NOT GPS enabled and there's no crowd sourced location data accurate enough to allow the use of the optional features. However, phones, cellular enabled iPads, and most Android tablets DO have GPS that can be used for those optional features. A data plan is not required if you go with a cellular enabled iPad.

Unless it's an early model, a wifi only iPad could be fine for you unless those optional features (Follow Me or resetting your home point to your current location) are important to you. If they are, then you may need to look at a new mobile device or an add on GPS device.

Click here for more detailed info on what to expect with different iPads / situations.

Thank you for ALL that info!!! I think I am beginning understand. A cellular enabled iPad. I heard something about unlocked and I think that means the same thing.
My old iPad was wifi only and was great for my 3 Standard that uses wifi. But the main reason I want a Phantom is for the live stream and the video. The wifi only iPad will actually fly the 3 Advanced but no live stream. I was really tired of my old P2 for exactly that reason.
Thank you again. I will check out your link!

Thank you for ALL that info!!! I think I am beginning understand. A cellular enabled iPad. I heard something about unlocked and I think that means the same thing.
An unlocked device simply means that it is not tied to (locked to) a particular carrier such as AT&T or Verizon for example in the US.

My old iPad was wifi only and was great for my 3 Standard that uses wifi.
Wifi only iPads work great with P3As and P3Ps also. Many people use wifi only iPads.

But the main reason I want a Phantom is for the live stream and the video. The wifi only iPad will actually fly the 3 Advanced but no live stream. I was really tired of my old P2 for exactly that reason.
Live streaming is uploading your flight video to the Internet in real time. I suspect you actually mean that you want FPV (first person view) so you can see on your device what your P3A is seeing. If that's true, a wifi only iPad works perfectly well and is routinely used for that purpose. As noted, yours could work also unless yours happens to be an early iPad model that is too old to run the GO app smoothly.

Reactions: JoBe
An unlocked device simply means that it is not tied to (locked to) a particular carrier such as AT&T or Verizon for example in the US.

Wifi only iPads work great with P3As and P3Ps also. Many people use wifi only iPads.

Live streaming is uploading your flight video to the Internet in real time. I suspect you actually mean that you want FPV (first person view) so you can see on your device what your P3A is seeing. If that's true, a wifi only iPad works perfectly well and is routinely used for that purpose. As noted, yours could work also unless yours happens to be an early iPad model that is too old to run the GO app smoothly.
It must be and older version, I think 2nd generation, because nothing comes through on the camera and the app won't connect to the drone. And yes, I don't mean live streaming. I mean I want to see what the drone sees. My P2 was not fun, especially when I lost sight of it! Thanks for the information. I am starting to make sense of it all!!!

It must be and older version, I think 2nd generation, because nothing comes through on the camera and the app won't connect to the drone. And yes, L. I don't mean live streaming. I mean I want to see what the drone sees. My P2 was not fun, especially when I lost sight of it! Thanks for the information. I am starting to make sense of it all!!!

You do realise that with the advanced that you plug the iPad into the controller with a cable and not connect via wifi like you do with the standard ?

Reactions: JoBe
You do realise that with the advanced that you plug the iPad into the controller with a cable and not connect via wifi like you do with the standard ?
LOL! Yeah, I watched a video on the Advanced before it ever arrived. It would be funny if that was the problem. Nope, it is just a too old iPad.

LOL! Yeah, I watched a video on the Advanced before it ever arrived. It would be funny if that was the problem. Nope, it is just a too old iPad.

Just checking mate, I've seen it done

I have a iPad mini 2 wifi only a P3A 350+ flights and while doing long flights use the iPad to watch where I fly...I think that is what you want..perfectly every time..The only thing it can't do is follow me mode no gps on iPad...I use my iPhone 6s for that ..
I like the iPad mini over the phone just that bigger screen..Hope this helps you

My iPad mini 2 (WiFi only) works with both P3S and P3A without any change, same DJI GO App. Only different is one uses WiFi to connect to the RC and one uses USB.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.