How to turn off smart go home

I thought that the DJI app will allow you to use the full range when flying waypoints

OK, slightly weird - reset remote controller to factory and rolled the P4P back to 1.02.034 (Jan 2017), app rolled back to 4.05

If I start the app without connecting the drone then smart return to home is there but as soon as I connect then it disappears.

So, why would earlier firmware (that used to allow this feature) no longer work?

I thought that the DJI app will allow you to use the full range when flying waypoints
I haven't used the DJI app that way, mostly because I like Litchi much better for Waypoint mission design, and also because I have never found a good reason to try a one-way mission before. I will admit I saw a very cool one-way mission on YouTube from a mountaintop to a roof in the valley below at max range of the bird. But even in that case, the bird was flown in FPV mode,in very unique terrain that allowed RC connectivity all the way to near max range of the bird.

Personally, I like to have the bird fly back home. But I will agree that, if you're willing to put up with the mission planning limitations in the DJI app, and you also like the flexibility to run very long one-way missions, then this Smart Return to Home change is going to ruin your day by cutting your range in half.

Bad news:
Capture.JPG

OK, slightly weird - reset remote controller to factory and rolled the P4P back to 1.02.034 (Jan 2017), app rolled back to 4.05

If I start the app without connecting the drone then smart return to home is there but as soon as I connect then it disappears.

So, why would earlier firmware (that used to allow this feature) no longer work?
How do you factory reset remote and also roll back an app?

How do you factory reset remote and also roll back an app?

Connect the remote control to the assistant and press the 'reset to factory' button

To roll back the app, you'll need the earlier version - using Android you just download the .apk file from the web. Uninstall the current version and then install the version you want. I found 4.05 to be the most stable for me and was the most up to date version I could use reliably before all the 'high interference' warnings appeared

DJI GO 4 4.0.4 APK Download by DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD - APKMirror

DJI has confirmed the removal of the feature and the forced on status. No plans to reverse...many flaws in the system for one Smart RTH calculates your return home time needed based on the RTH speed....we all know that you can usually fly home much faster...and there are many more... Say goodbye to waypoint missions as well.

Sadly we don't have a leg to stand on - flying a waypoint mission long enough to trigger smart return to home would take the drone way out of line of sight so would be illegal in most countries.
It seems that DJI are taking steps to avoid operator error (it even says that in the latest round of updates) and trying to avoid any legislation that may hurt their profits. The latest round of firmware seems to have hammered the distance before video transmission is lost - this evening, over open sea using 5.8GHZ my remote lost connection at 400m - prior to the new firmware/app that distance was 800m.

DJI has confirmed the removal of the feature and the forced on status. No plans to reverse...many flaws in the system for one Smart RTH calculates your return home time needed based on the RTH speed....we all know that you can usually fly home much faster...and there are many more... Say goodbye to waypoint missions as well.
Did they confirm no plans to reverse in the next update?

Sadly we don't have a leg to stand on - flying a waypoint mission long enough to trigger smart return to home would take the drone way out of line of sight so would be illegal in most countries.
It seems that DJI are taking steps to avoid operator error (it even says that in the latest round of updates) and trying to avoid any legislation that may hurt their profits. The latest round of firmware seems to have hammered the distance before video transmission is lost - this evening, over open sea using 5.8GHZ my remote lost connection at 400m - prior to the new firmware/app that distance was 800m.
This is not 100% correct Andy. Many of us use missions to shoot video. I plan the mission at home, arrive at location and execute missions which can give you smoother drone control..For instance I was running a mission the other day of a lighthouse, I was about 2000 feet away at the farthest, drone in sight yet right in the middle of the mission the Smart RTH kicked in ending mission. 60% battery. One of the problems with Smart RTH is it calculates on RTH speed and can't take in things like wind, weather etc. I've never activated Smart RTH and have never had a single issue occur that I wish I had. Even if it just gave you a warning tone or something but it is a MESS.

Did they confirm no plans to reverse in the next update?
Correct over in DJI forum they report it was a planned move and not reversing..no explanation why then. Surely they need to redo their specs since there is no way their flight times will hold up with Smart RTH bringing your drone home with 45 % battery left.

I flew it today - just to test the smart return to home and it landed with 10% battery

no need to redo their specs, it will still fly for 24 minutes - it doesn't say how it will do it and in which direction though :)

no need to redo their specs, it will still fly for 24 minutes - it doesn't say how it will do it and in which direction though :)
Like I said it varies as to when it kicks in...again don't understand why they are forcing this.

Like I said it varies as to when it kicks in...again don't understand why they are forcing this.

maybe because it lessens the risks of fly-aways?
maybe because they can go back to whatever committee they are dealing with and say 'look we've added this safety feature'

It seems pretty obvious that they are doing their best to second guess any upcoming legislation

maybe because it lessens the risks of fly-aways?
maybe because they can go back to whatever committee they are dealing with and say 'look we've added this safety feature'

It seems pretty obvious that they are doing their best to second guess any upcoming legislation
Smart return to home doesn't add safety in my opinion. What does it do that normal RTH wouldn't in a fly away? All it does is limit your flight time. I've never seen one complaint where someone had an issue because this was deactivated. If they are out to please the committee then just limit the thing and say so. Don't advertise 4.1 mile range and then take away Smart RTH so your drone is returning at 1 mile out.

Smart return to home doesn't add safety in my opinion. What does it do that normal RTH wouldn't in a fly away? All it does is limit your flight time. I've never seen one complaint where someone had an issue because this was deactivated. If they are out to please the committee then just limit the thing and say so. Don't advertise 4.1 mile range and then take away Smart RTH so your drone is returning at 1 mile out.
I saw that in the forums it says it was planned but I can't see where they said they will not reverse it. I thought BladeStrike reached out directly to the responsible parties and explained why it needs to be reversed, no?

The counter argument to that is that we shouldn't be flying 1 mile out should we? VLOS and all that :) :)
Just because they can (in absolute ideal conditions) fly 4.1 miles out doesn't mean that they can do it every day - much like automobile fuel economy figures.

At 40 mph which is well within the P4P's capabilities even after it's been slowed down from it's original 50 mph (again, no reason was given for this was there?) it takes 1.5 minutes to travel a mile - 4.1 miles is a little over 6 minutes or something like 25% of battery life - in a test scenario it could easily match those specs.

I saw that in the forums it says it was planned but I can't see where they said they will not reverse it. I thought BladeStrike reached out directly to the responsible parties and explained why it needs to be reversed, no?
DJI Natalie on the DJI forums

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94