HOW TO: Install iOS app on older devices

Reaction score
Heres a work around for installing the DJI Pilot app on devices like the iPhone 5/5C (A6 chip), iPad 4 (A6X chip), iPad 3 aka "The New iPad" (A5X chip) and the iPad mini (A5 chip).

Heres the workaround:
-Download the .ipa file from iTunes on a computer
-Top left corner of iTunes youll see a list of icons (Music, Movies, TV Shows, Apps, and 3 dots) click the Apps icon
-Look for the DJI Pilot app that you should have downloaded through iTunes already,
-Right click, show in Windows Explorer,
-Copy and paste the .ipa file to your desktop,
-Install that .ipa file through ifunbox program(I think you need your phone to be jailbroken for this part, not sure on that)...

If you do try this, please let the rest of us know how it worked out... Also play around with the settings such as hardware decode on/off, lower transmission quality, turn on airplane mode, close other running apps, basically anything that may speed the video feed up if its running slow.

UPDATE: Looks like the app struggles to run on the 1st gen iPad mini, and doesnt even connect with the iPad 3... Therefore the only devices that work with this work around are the iPhone 5/5C, and the iPad 4

Last edited:
Reactions: Sammynels
I found a video tutorial on how to do this if anyone needs more clarification and wants to try now that the app has been released. This will probably work on these devices:
iPhone 5/5C (A6 chip)
iPad 4 (A6X chip)
If if doesnt work try switching on hardware decode and restart the app
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeymatt86
UPDATE: For anyone that's interested, the iPhone 5 has been tested and apparently it works properly, no hickups or anything... This means that the iPad 4 and iPhone 5C should also work... try it out let us know how it works for you.

Not yet. I'll lose my JB if I update to iOS 8.
Ahh gotcha... Youll probably have to wait till iOS 9 now... I doubt a jb will come out for ios8.3 but you never know

Actually you might be able to install the app using this workaround on ios7... not sure how stable itll b or what not but its worth a try

Ahh gotcha... Youll probably have to wait till iOS 9 now... I doubt a jb will come out for ios8.3 but you never know

Actually you might be able to install the app using this workaround on ios7... not sure how stable itll b or what not but its worth a try
Yeah, was going to try it and see if I could force the install on 7 when I get some down time.

Anyone know if iPad mini first gen works with the pilot app? Is it simply an iOS 8 upgrade...?

I'm hoping for good news now that the iOS app has been out for a bit.

Thanks,
Mark.

Yes you can load the Pilot App on an earlier iPad I've just loaded on a Mini just fine but you need to load the app using iFunbox to install, download using iTunes to MAC or PC as I have a PC works just fine, you locate the .ipa file for the Pilot App in the PC's Itunes folder and load it to the iPad... simple. It works! -

full

Excellent!! Thank you for the info. How does the app run? Have you noticed any issues?

I wonder why there had to be a workaround the iPad mini first gen isn't even that old.

Thanks,
Mark.

Excellent!! Thank you for the info. How does the app run? Have you noticed any issues?

Did you have to jailbreak the iPad for it to work?

I wonder why there had to be a workaround the iPad mini first gen isn't even that old.

Thanks,
Mark.

Sorry for the double post...?

Has anyone successfully flown using this method to get this on an older device. I have an iP6+ and an older iPad. I'd prefer to use the iPad if it is reliable.

Expecting my gear today (P3 & iPad mini 1st gen). I'll report back on this tonight.

Mark.

Got the app installed on my iPAD 3 (that iPad uses the 30 pin to USB cable). When I tried to run it with the P3P it would not connect. Was offsite and had limited time so I just flew with my nVidia sheild. I'll try again this week when I have time to play around with it.

It wont work on my iPad 3. All looks ok but it will not connect to the P3. Tried with hardware decoder enabled and not.

Alright looks like this work around works best with the iPhone 5/5C and iPad 4. The iPad mini struggles/lags with the video feed from the research/tests and posts on this forum and others iv read about

I received my Ipad mini first gen and the sound didn't work. I am sending it back and opted to buy a Mini Ipad 2. Loaded the app, but haven't flown w/ it yet.

Disappointing that the Ipad Mini first gen doesn't work w/ the app.

I flew w/ my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, and the app crashed on the maiden flight. Had to use the return to home feature to recover the bird. Fortunately there wasn't a crash of the drone itself.

Mark

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31