How to handle losing GPS?

Reaction score
Seen a lot of posts of people losing GPS mid flight and then crashing, in the event this does happen whats the best way to handle it? Think its a good question for myself and other beginners.

I suspect when GPS signal drops you have to some how fly it manually, Ive read the manual numerous times but looking for advice from fellow flyers who can advise the best way to get it back safely if GPS just goes?

I have a P4P if that makes a difference to modes

I would say that if you are a beginner then you should really leave the settings in beginner mode where you can not fly out side of a 30m radius and 30m up, the stick controls are less sensitive. Only fly in a large open space on a windless day.
Do lots of practice close to you and learn how to fly. Don't panic your bird will not fall out of the sky if gps is lost as the internal barometer will hold altitude. You can then slowly lower the bird with the left stick and land.
All gps does is position lock. IE Will hold the bird in one spot even if there is a wind trying to push it in a certain direction. With no gps" same when it is turned off in ATTI mode" the bird will drift with the wind that's why you should learn on windless days if you are that worried.
Alternately you can go out with some one who has flying experience where its a little windy where they could take over should you have a ny problems. happy flying

Reactions: Calsun
I would say that if you are a beginner then you should really leave the settings in beginner mode where you can not fly out side of a 30m radius and 30m up, the stick controls are less sensitive. Only fly in a large open space on a windless day.
Do lots of practice close to you and learn how to fly. Don't panic your bird will not fall out of the sky if gps is lost as the internal barometer will hold altitude. You can then slowly lower the bird with the left stick and land.
All gps does is position lock. IE Will hold the bird in one spot even if there is a wind trying to push it in a certain direction. With no gps" same when it is turned off in ATTI mode" the bird will drift with the wind that's why you should learn on windless days if you are that worried.
Alternately you can go out with some one who has flying experience where its a little windy where they could take over should you have a ny problems. happy flying

Thanks, yeah dont plan on it happening just want to be prepared as read a few horror stories of GPS been lost and then drones crashing.

When im more confident il try the ATTI mode then if GPS is turned off to see how it handles just incase I ever need to.

I always fly in atti mode as it feels so much more smooth like real flight should be. The only time I use "p" mode is when I want to take video or photos as it will just hold the bird there with out moving allowing me to rotate and work the camera to get the shots I want with out worrying what the bird is up too

You will need to master Atti mode so you can deal with any problems. Take the bird up to a safe height 15-20 meters min in a large open place this will give you room and time to react. Once you are at a safe distance switch from P to atti and take control and fly around if you panic or loose control flick the switch back to P and it will just hover. Learn to fly it in a square pattern then try figure of 8. This basic flying will keep you out of trouble and build confidence. Normally if you do loose GPS advice is to take it up. That way you gain reaction time with height and it should regain gps hopefully. It's not as hard as you think. Height and open space are your friend.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Good advice guys, thanks. Will test out the atti mode at some stage after a good few weeks of practice flying. :)

Reactions: Philltayl
Seen a lot of posts of people losing GPS mid flight and then crashing, in the event this does happen whats the best way to handle it? Think its a good question for myself and other beginners.
I suspect when GPS signal drops you have to some how fly it manually, Ive read the manual numerous times but looking for advice from fellow flyers who can advise the best way to get it back safely if GPS just goes?
As long as you don't screw up your compass by calibrating in the wrong place or fly into a deep canyon that blocks most of the sky, you really shouldn't be losing GPS unless you have a nasty hardware error.
GPS is normally very reliable.
I haven't seen a GPS problem in 3 years of flying Phantoms.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
only thing gps loss will do is make the drone not know where home is, so if signal loss happens next, it can't fly back to you to reacquire it.
If it was fighting wind to stay inside it's range, and looses gps, it will drift downwind.
When you get some stick time, turn atti mode on with the S1 switch, and watch how it starts moving downwind. flip it back and it stops.

It will also 'coast' in the direction it was flying upon release of stick until an opposite motion command is sent.

It is my understanding that the DJI Go app has a built-in flight simulator that you can use to practice with and allows you to change wind conditions. This should give you a good feel of how it handles in different modes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

It is my understanding that the DJI Go app has a built-in flight simulator that you can use to practice with and allows you to change wind conditions. This should give you a good feel of how it handles in different modes.

Ahh yeah i think i saw that good thinking will practice in that!

The flight sim is a bit basic. Best to go and fly the Phantom close in and switch to Atti mode and fly the thing. If you get a bit pear shaped then switch back to GPS mode and let go of everything so you can re-access things then go again

The flight sim is a bit basic. Best to go and fly the Phantom close in and switch to Atti mode and fly the thing.
Agreed. I find it's easiest to learn how ATTI works and feels when flying outside above all obstacles.

The flight sim is a bit basic. Best to go and fly the Phantom close in and switch to Atti mode and fly the thing. If you get a bit pear shaped then switch back to GPS mode and let go of everything so you can re-access things then go again
Most of them are but it's good practice if you're not good at keeping orientation or control of flight direction. I'm sure most beginners take it up and do a lot of stop/rotation movements to control the direction in fear of getting out of control. Simulator is great for getting out of that comfort zone to learn control at higher speeds.

The videos that I've watched recommended to take the blades off when using the SIM.
In general, it's always a good idea to take the props off before turning the Phantom on indoors.

In my experience GPS loss while not common, is certainly not rare either so my advice is to practice in Atti mode at every opportunity. Its actually not that difficult and probably my flight mode of choice when I am looking at shooting exceptionally smooth footage or transitioning from indoors to out. Practice practice practice.

I've not seen this suggested, but in my own experiences losing GPS I also lost video, and so my own moral of the story is to always be aware of where your drone is exactly and which direction it's pointing, especially if you are far away and cannot see it with the naked eye or hear it. Yes you will need to fly in Atti mode, but you need to know in which direction.

Another of my takeaways from losing GPS is that you should not panic, because in a moment of panic you may turn the drone in a direction which later you do not remember where it was heading :)

It really sucks that I can't trust my drone not to lose GPS and video at the same time when flying relatively close and not pushing any limits at all :-/. I'm hoping this latest firmware upgrade helps, otherwise I'll be returning it for service.

Reactions: PSL
only thing gps loss will do is make the drone not know where home is, so if signal loss happens next, it can't fly back to you to reacquire it.
If it was fighting wind to stay inside it's range, and looses gps, it will drift downwind.
When you get some stick time, turn atti mode on with the S1 switch, and watch how it starts moving downwind. flip it back and it stops.
You would have to enable it first in the go app as it comes with atti and sport mode disabled

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31