GPS Signal lost, Switched to ATTI Mode, Flew the drone home

That's logicall. The problem would be, if you loose the telemetry data (lost Picture for instance). If you eventuallly can see the AC, than you can still bring it back, but it is rather tricky as at longer distances it is hard to see whether it flies toward you or not. If you can't see the AC, then 'by by bird'.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
If you lose transmission with the aircraft, it should return to home automatically. Then you hope you set the correct RTH altitude.

If you lose transmission with the aircraft, it should return to home automatically. Then you hope you set the correct RTH altitude.
And your home point was saved or resaved with no compass error. I sometimes take off in areas where there is compass error warning but lets me take off. I always resave my homepoint when the warning goes away.

And your home point was saved or resaved with no compass error. I sometimes take off in areas where there is compass error warning but lets me take off. I always resave my homepoint when the warning goes away.
That sounds risky.
If your compass is warning you of magnetic interference, you should move the Phantom away from the magnetic influence.

That sounds risky.
If your compass is warning you of magnetic interference, you should move the Phantom away from the magnetic influence.
Not something I normally do. I was on vacation and I stayed on a 3 floor house. My launching area was from the 3rd floor balcony which has a good view of the sorrounding areas. I flew the phantom away from the source of the interferance and waited until i have gps. I also look at the bird and see if it has position hold and resave homepoint before flying away. Oh and I almost forgot that it was on atti mode while it did not have gps because of compass warning.

Not something I normally do. I was on vacation and I stayed on a 3 floor house. My launching area was from the 3rd floor balcony which has a good view of the sorrounding areas. I flew the phantom away from the source of the interferance and waited until i have gps. I also look at the bird and see if it has position hold and resave homepoint before flying away. Oh and I almost forgot that it was on atti mode while it did not have gps because of compass warning.
You were lucky. Plenty have lost their Phantoms after trying similar things.
The balcony was concrete?
Reinforced concrete is half steel and launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface is asking for trouble.

You were lucky. Plenty have lost their Phantoms after trying similar things.
The balcony was concrete?
Reinforced concrete is half steel and launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface is asking for trouble.
Yup, concrete and the phantom was also close to exposed steel above and infront of launch area. I was not active in the forum while on vacation so I did not see this thread otherwise I would not have launch from here. I did most of my flying here including testing for range. And when you test for range you will eventually get signal lost which I did but my bird always managed to get to homepoint. Either I was extremely lucky or the phantom’s compass goes back to normal when it is clear from the source. I tested this after reading this thread. I used a magnet and top of a washing machine. You cant start your motor when close to the magnet but you can on top of washing machine. The compass status on GO4 goes back to ok when you physically move the phantom away from both magnet and washing machine. Which makes sense to me because what happens when you get close to steel structure like a bridge. You get compass error warning and it goes on atti mode until you fly clear from it. I like to believe that this is the intended design or I was just extremely lucky for three months.

Either I was extremely lucky or the phantom’s compass goes back to normal when it is clear from the source.
You were lucky.
I've seen dozens of incidents where Phantoms were lost because they were launched from reinforced concrete surfaces and the effect did not go away.
In your case the steel may have been deep or the compass was between the bars and you didn't get a serious effect.
Many others have not been so lucky.

You were lucky.
I've seen dozens of incidents where Phantoms were lost because they were launched from reinforced concrete surfaces and the effect did not go away.
In your case the steel may have been deep or the compass was between the bars and you didn't get a serious effect.
Many others have not been so lucky.
I should have played power ball during that time!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31