How to flip roll and tilt to Zenmuse H3-3D/H4-3D?

Reaction score
I want to experiment using the Zenmuse H3-3D/H4-3D with a Sony Action Cam. I have done this with other gimbals and the challenge is to invert the behavior of the roll and pitch axis. Why? The cameras point in different direction when seated on the GoPro mount and there is no Sony 3D gimbal for the Phantom.

Do you know if there is a way (hack) or tool to flip the roll and pitch axis in the Zenmuse H3-3D/H4-3D? That is, make the standard roll axis behave as pitch and the pitch to behave as roll.

Thanks.

I want to experiment using the Zenmuse H3-3D/H4-3D with a Sony Action Cam. I have done this with other gimbals and the challenge is to invert the behavior of the roll and pitch axis. Why? The cameras point in different direction when seated on the GoPro mount and there is no Sony 3D gimbal for the Phantom.

Do you know if there is a way (hack) or tool to flip the roll and pitch axis in the Zenmuse H3-3D/H4-3D? That is, make the standard roll axis behave as pitch and the pitch to behave as roll.

Thanks.

There is no way to mount or modify a Sony action camera on a zenmuse gimbal. The H3-3D/H4-3D were strictly designed around the GoPro cameras and its weight. Since the new Hero 5's are out you might find used Hero 4 blacks cheap on ebay.

Thanks Jason,

I have a couple from Feiyu gimbal (one is actually exactly the same to a DJI model) and you can actually mount it, albeit pointing in the wrong direction i you do not rotate the base 90 degrees. The similar weight and form (with the exception of where the sense points at) works without modification and actually do a very good job stabilizing the camera. Since they face the wrong way your roll control becomes your pitch and your pitch becomes your roll. If you just want stabilization nothing is needed. The problem arises when you want to pitch the camera as it will roll instead of pitch.

I guess my true question should be: what determines servo function from yaw, roll and pitch?

I know I can consider GoPro but there are functions in the X3000 not available in the GoPro such as OIS and LIVE streaming. The latter is central to our project as it is for live broadcasting.

Thanks Jason,

I have a couple from Feiyu gimbal (one is actually exactly the same to a DJI model) and you can actually mount it, albeit pointing in the wrong direction i you do not rotate the base 90 degrees. The similar weight and form (with the exception of where the sense points at) works without modification and actually do a very good job stabilizing the camera. Since they face the wrong way your roll control becomes your pitch and your pitch becomes your roll. If you just want stabilization nothing is needed. The problem arises when you want to pitch the camera as it will roll instead of pitch.

I guess my true question should be: what determines servo function from yaw, roll and pitch?

I know I can consider GoPro but there are functions in the X3000 not available in the GoPro such as OIS and LIVE streaming. The latter is central to our project as it is for live broadcasting.

Live streaming on what frequency? If your thinking of using wifi its frequency is the same as the P2 non-vision and will create problem with controller.

A Feiyu gimbal is not and I repeat not the same zenmuse gimbal. The zenmuse was not only designed for the GoPro cameras but also a plug n play for the P2 while the Feiyu is not.

Reactions: Tecnocato
Weighing complexity and risks, I am now more include on stripping the GCU out of the Feiyu I own made for the Sony (using only the hardware and BMs) and replace it with a Basecamp Simple BGC. This will provide me with the remote PWM connections we need and even leave room for a Lightbridge 1 transmitter to get the video and send the GCU commands. The gimbal is hand held but I also have a compatible donor base (from a mini pro) that no longer works and I can use the base to effectively make it into a remote version.

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on the frequency. Too many things run in the 2.4 GHZ these days and I have experienced transmission issues with too many wi-fi devices around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.