How to correctly import-edit-export 4k footage in Premiere Pro

Reaction score
Hi guys!! the thing here is that I want to be a contributor in videoblocks and finally started to record in 4K but the problem was after that: in the computer.

You see I use adobe premiere pro but don't know how to import the files correctly, the edition part its not that much of a problem but the export part its a pain in the a**.

So if anyone is contributing to videoblocks or knows how to correctly import and export 4K fottage I'll be pretty grateful!!!

so i use Premiere Pro CC 2015 .. and by no means an expert (I suck actually). I don't do anything special to import the files, I use the Assembly area to browse to my files and pick them, it imports into the program. I then move into my timeline and do my work.

When i export, I've been using the "H.264 format" with the preset of "YouTube 2160p 4k". It looks like this:

6H7dscK.jpg

This seems to work quite well and YouTube takes it without issue. I dont use VideoBlocks., but their site says that "The majority of our video clips are available in full HD (1920x1080) at 29.97 fps" .. so i assume as long as you hit that mark, you should be fine (but i think thats only HD, not 4k). Here's the link:
What are the specifications of your vide...

I'm not sure what version of Premiere you use, but it should have some export presets you can chose from.

Hope this helps, i'm totally a Premier noob and am sure others are more knowledgeable. Here's one I uploaded yesterday using these settings, it seems to look okay on Youtube.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
1st thing to do when you record video if in 4K choose the max exemple 4k/24 RAW then it will be easier to edit in premiere pro do not use JPG

Have a look at this - Its a superb How to using Adobe Premier !! -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Partx and Digdat0
Hi - I am trying to edit Phantom 4 video in Adobe Premier too. My problem is different, however. My videos load into premier and start to play in Premier. When I watch for a bit suddenly, the video starts flickering and slowing down so that it is not running properly. Anyone have any hints?

Hi - I am trying to edit Phantom 4 video in Adobe Premier too. My problem is different, however. My videos load into premier and start to play in Premier. When I watch for a bit suddenly, the video starts flickering and slowing down so that it is not running properly. Anyone have any hints?
that is because to playback smoothly you need a very fast computer and graphics card. In order to edit smoothly without a high end computer, set the preview window to 1/2 or 1/4 (where it says full) and it will lower playback resolution so that it is smooth. The exported file will still be 4k, but during playback it will render a lower resolution so that your computer can manage.

Reactions: jc15
that is because to playback smoothly you need a very fast computer and graphics card. In order to edit smoothly without a high end computer, set the preview window to 1/2 or 1/4 (where it says full) and it will lower playback resolution so that it is smooth. The exported file will still be 4k, but during playback it will render a lower resolution so that your computer can manage.

Well I have a pretty High end computer

i7 6700K 4.3g
32Gb DDR4
1070 8g EVGA Nvidia
SSD 500gb Boot o/s
SSD 256gb Premiere Pro and Scratch and cache media
4k Samsung Monitor
Asus 170 serries Mobo

I think it should be ok

CPU sitts aroun 16% during playback
Memory is only 5% used
HDD/SSD activity is 0%

still stutters after a few seconds

Files are UHD 4K 3840@30fps 60MBPS

Check the settings for your video card in premiere to make sure mercury rendering engine uses hardware acceleration.

Reactions: Digdat0
Editing in 4k isn't suggested, even with a "high end" PC, as you've noticed. I would suggest researching how to ingest the video into Premiere as a low res/low bitrate "proxy". You can edit the ingest settings to automatically create proxy files when you create the new project.. That way it jogs/scrubs much smoother during editing using the proxy files, and then when you export it uses the higher res originals.

Work offline using proxy media

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike2A

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers