Dlog overexposure in Phantom 3 Pro. Some settings that work ???

Reaction score
I used the settings recommended for editing with Adobe Premiere Pro. It was a sunny day with sky and water in the scene. I also used a ND8. The raw footage was horrible. Totally overexposed, with moire. Adjusting everything in Premiere couldn't begin to fix this video. Is 4k the problem ? Anyone have any suggestions ? ND16 ?
Thanks.

Can't say much without a picture but 4K definitely is not the problem.
Over and underexposed pictures or videos much depends on light and dark areas on your motive. Autoexposure function tends to make the whole picture exposed somewhere in the middle. If the calculation of the software is made on the central part of the picture which is usually the case, then only the center will be done correctly. Other parts of the picture if darker will be underexposed if lighter then that part will be overexposed. It usually happened if you are taking a video with the central dark area as in your case probably. Everything else will be overexposed so you must compensate that with one or two steps down. (exp.comp.)For the practical use: filming dark scenes I compensate that with two steps down (-0,7). If I take pictures of snow scenes then I compensate with one or two steps up (1.3 or 1.7).
If you have set the manual exp. 'ON', then you must choose the aperture and the time of exp. on your own. In the video, this is not practical as this needs to be corrected all the time when scenes change.

I used the settings recommended for editing with Adobe Premiere Pro. It was a sunny day with sky and water in the scene. I also used a ND8. The raw footage was horrible. Totally overexposed, with moire. Adjusting everything in Premiere couldn't begin to fix this video. Is 4k the problem ? Anyone have any suggestions ? ND16 ?
Thanks.
As a photographer for more than 50 years I have learned that while auto exposure has come a long way it is still no substitute for manual control by someone that understands how to properly expose. Learning how to judge and control exposure, one of the pillars of photography, is where I suggest you focus your attention. You might start with learning the fundamentals of what makes for proper exposure, perhaps the most important part of which is exposing for the highlights. That's half the battle right there. You cannot fix overexposed highlights in post processing but most other things can be improved there. HTH.

Having studied photography at O.U. and taught Zone System Photography, I have that covered. The issue is the settings which I have now figured out. The P3P has a still camera or a video camera. However, a setting picked in the still camera is carried over into the video.

Reactions: RussOnTheRoad
That additional detail is informative and helpful. Unfortunately, having no familiarity with it I cannot be of assistance with that model drone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.