How Do You Edit HEVC / H.265 Files Smoothly?

Reaction score
I've found that vegas 14 lags when handling HEVC /h.265 files from my p4a, but it's fine with h.264 files regardless of mp4 or mov formats.

If I were to convert my h.265 footage for easier editing, what's a recommended converter? I'd still be looking to color correct my footage though. For the past few months, the majority of my footage was shot in h.265, so I'm kind of wondering now what everyone else does to edit, especially vegas 14 users.

I've found that vegas 14 lags when handling HEVC /h.265 files from my p4a, but it's fine with h.264 files regardless of mp4 or mov formats.

If I were to convert my h.265 footage for easier editing, what's a recommended converter? I'd still be looking to color correct my footage though. For the past few months, the majority of my footage was shot in h.265, so I'm kind of wondering now what everyone else does to edit, especially vegas 14 users.
Have you tried adjusting your preview settings?

upload_2017-12-1_5-20-20.png

There's also this: HEVC Converter: Convert HEVC/H.265 Files on Windows/Mac

Reactions: tml4191
Thanks..someone on vegas forum said to convert the file to XAVC Intra and edit the footage after. It requires a lot of storage, but editing is smooth that way. Thank you though for looking into my question!

Just answered my question (google). Try working with proxy files if you aren’t already.
Thanks...I tried proxy files before, but I found it tedious to work with. Someone suggested I convert the files first within vegas. I did that, and it was way easier to work with.

Convert with any number of codec converters to ProRes4444 works great, nice and smooth using both FCP 10.3 or Premier.
Pavtube or iMedia converter from skysoft are great converters and inexpensive. They have free downloads for testing.

H.265 provides greater compression for video but it takes quite literally 10 time the processing power to decompress it. That is why there has not been a move to H.265 for streaming content. With 4K there is 4 times as much data per second of video as with HD and so combining 4K with H.265 any personal computer is going to be inadequate.

With DaVinci Resolve you can edit and grade in HD and then non destructively change the timeline resolution to render as 4K. And a single user license of Resolve is free.

100% convert to proxy. I know Premiere, Final Cut, and DaVinci Resolve provide relatively automatic and invisible operations now for proxy files. Used to be a real pain but now it’s easy. Ingest and go for a quick walk. I’d be surprised if Vegas didn’t have that available now.

As a point of reference (i.e. don’t think you can upgrade your way to not having to transcode) - Even on a pretty high end rig I’m working on (intel 7700k 6 cores, gtx 1070, Samsung 960 Pro, 64GB ddr4-3000) trying to scrub an h.265 or even play real-time with more than 1 effect, things stutter and choke.

I use Avdshare Video Converter to convert any HEVC video, like MKV HEVC, MP4 HEVC, etc, to MP4 with any codec, like MP4 H.264, MP4 DivX, MP4 MPEG-4, etc. in addtion, it can edit videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav